Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

spankmeister posted:

Apple makes nice stuff but caters to the lowest common denominator. So of course it attracts the retards.

It doesn't help that, at least in my area, they seem to have something against doing anything that PC's do. My best friend (also a goon) used to be a hardcore Appleite until the one day the video driver in his computer failed and instead of just popping the thing open and replacing that one part, the Apple store down here- For some god-forsaken reason- kept trying to make him pay hundreds of dollars to replace the entire goddamn thing. :psyduck: When the roller coaster breaks, they don't tear down the amusement park and start from scratch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

On a lot of macs, the video card is part of the main logic board. It's not an easily swappable part. This is done for a variety of reasons, including the reductions in size, cost, and power consumption that can be found in such a design (Not necessarily all three depending on the specific board in question of course).

It's flat out not possible to replace just the video card on such a machine.

Ah, I see, I didn't know that. His wasn't an iPad or any little thing, though- His was a bigger computer tower, so I really don't see why they couldn't have just cracked it open and replaced it, unless it's also integrated to the logic board in the towers.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

... Why have they never replaced batteries? :psyduck: That makes no loving sense! That's just asinine!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Was it an iMac? If so, there's still a good chance it was built in.

Was it a Mac Pro? If so, it's certainly *not* built in, *but*, because of the limited marketshare for Mac pros, replacement parts can become difficult to come by after they reach a certain age.

Honestly, I have no idea- It was three or so years ago and it was the last in a long string of Apple-related annoyances that ended up with him giving up on Apple and switching to Windows.

VVVV Alright, I submit that that makes sense, but I maintain that it's still asinine.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 10, 2011

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Expect them to expect you to be Computer Jesus who can immediately diagnose their computer upon seeing them walking up with it, from what I've been able to tell in this thread so far.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Of course. "Give me money or I'll pitch a shitfit" is a universal statement, much like flipping the bird or putting your hands on their throat to choke the poo poo out of them at your throat when choking.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh good, it wasn't just me then. :gonk:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

modeski posted:

In ALDI recently, a young boy (5-ish) was playing with the slide-across freezer doors. His mum rushed across, raised her hand to him and said:

:btroll: You'll hurt yourself on those things! Leave it alone now or I'll hit you.

... "Don't you dare hurt yourself on these appliances or I'll hurt you myself"? :psyduck: In what universe does that make any loving sense?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

If you mean Starbucks Barista, resist the urge to dump hot coffee onto the heads of assholes who feel they are entitled to make impossible demands. With age comes responsibility and the threat of lawsuits.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The General posted:

I remember my first time buying condoms. It pretty much went like that. So many kinds, so many options :suicide:

Then there's not knowing what size is appropriate. What if you get one that's too small and squeezes all the blood out of your johnson at a critical moment? What if you get one that's too big and you seem like an overconfident rear end in a top hat? Do they even list actual sizes on those loving wrappers/boxes beyond "MAGNUM :smug:"?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

OmNom posted:

Potential job at a sex shop! :flashfap:

While I do hope you get the job, I must admit part of the reason for such is so you can regale us with the horrible things that go on in such places that always get cleaned up before customers arrive :allears:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Neito posted:

"I want a no foam, decaf, no milk, hot iced one-shot cappuccino".

I want to believe so badly that you're joking. Surely no one's so loving stupid as to order something like this... right? :cry:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

bee posted:

I love hearing stories like this, it makes the world seem right again :D

gently caress yeah :hfive: We need a "Tales of getting revenge against Retail/Corporate Assholes" thread for cathartic stuff like that. Nothing but that, just to lift people's spirits when they check SA at the end of the day.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Edit: Thought this was the 'lovely toys for lovely kids' thread, nevermind.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 20, 2011

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

spite house posted:

I MUST know what happened next. MUST.

Ditto; Don't quit on us now! :munch:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

miscellaneous14 posted:

On a tangentially-related note, I still remember the time I sneezed into my hands at the register in front of an approaching customer. Instead of going to wash my hands, I wiped them off on my pants and just gave my usual doofy attempt at a half-smile. Which of course lead to him just going, "Can I get someone else to serve me, please?".

I still feel like an idiot on that one, but to be fair, we were practically shackled to those registers during peak hours like that.

At least you tried to wipe off your hands instead of ignoring it and keeping on going with snot glistening on your hands. :stonk: I wish I was making this up. Some people are disgusting.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

TontoCorazon posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't respond when someone whistles at me to get my attention? I find that poo poo atrocious.

I'm the opposite v:shobon:v 100% deaf in both ears, even with the cochlear implant on I can get so focused on the computer or a game or whatever I'm doing that whistling at me is the only way to get my attention.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Alright, I broke it open. Amazingly the plastic managed to withstand me jumping on a piece of a rock I put on top of it, but the bottom gave in to a simple screwdriver really easily.
\/:shobon:\/

Brute force is all well and good, but leverage and a good, sturdy fulcrum is where it's at, lad. :science:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Levo posted:

When I moved to Brazil and got bitched at by the owner of the house for flushing my toilet paper I thought I was being pranked for a good ten minutes and just kept telling them to cut it out because I wasn't falling for it.

How do you get people to loving stop doing this? :ughh: My sister's boyfriend was born and loving raised in this state and he still insists that plumbing strong enough to withstand toilet paper does not exist. If I find the trash bin full of his lovely wads one more time I will shank him, I swear to god. I'll do it with a smile on my face.

VVVV He has been told. Repeatedly. Toilet paper was bunched up and thrown into the toilet and flushed as a demonstration. I will go to prison for stabbing this man, and I will have no regrets.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 31, 2012

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Meow Cadet posted:

My store requires an ID if you return something valued at over $20, even with a receipt. I've had several customers threaten to sue me, or contact their lawyer over this policy, even after I point out the CA civil code that allows us to do so.

Yes. "How dare you require me to prove that I am who I say I am! :argh:" This is a sound and sane point of view :psyduck:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

D34THROW posted:

Honestly, though, how hard is it to keep even ROUGH track of what you have on your debit card? Especially when you have online banking nowadays and you can even check on your PHONE how much you have?

I try to keep track of what I have on my debit card, but the local ATM's that are convenient for me to check what I have on it charge me two drat bucks just to punch in my PIN and see how much I have :mad: I don't have that much to begin with! So I try to remember, but I end up forgetting... Also I don't have a smartphone :corsair: Callin' and Textin' and that's about it!

VVVVV That has been the source of more then one argument between my parents.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 19, 2012

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

But then people assume you're some kind of high-functioning retard because you talk to yourself while counting, and :sigh: You just can't win.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I wish I could remember which video game I sold to Robin Williams :(

Considering the name of his daughter, it was probably a Zelda title. :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I know this is wholly unrelated but what the gently caress did you need green slime for :psyduck:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

foobyfooby posted:

I am terribly amused. What did she expect you to DO, exactly? poo poo out some new books?

I can't remember if I've ever told my favorite retail story on SA- have I ever told you goons about the time somebody threw a stilleto at my face?

:stare:
Nnnnno. No, I'm pretty sure I'd remember someone trying to murder you. Unless you mean a stilleto heel, in which case, still.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The General posted:

-Playboys in braille

These are actually a thing? Huh. Learn something new every day on SA.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

If there's TTY sex hotlines for deaf people, I see no reason why the blind shouldn't get specialized spank rags :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Shnooks posted:

I am in need of some advice for work.

My boss just dropped the bomb that since I'm working 5 days a week she would buy my monthly subway pass. The problem is that I'm looking to leave in the next month, and I have another interview tomorrow.

So, should I take the pass and not worry if I quit, or tell her to hold off?

My two cents would be to at least inform your boss about it beforehand. If she insists on getting you the pass, then take it- Otherwise, it'd be kind of a jerk move to have her buy it, then skedaddle with it if you aren't going to stay.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Meow Cadet posted:

Now if there was a homemade "Tamale Lady" I'd be all over that for my husbands sake.

The hospital my mother used to work at had one of these; Started out making tamales as favors for friends, then started charging for 'em. They were drat good tamales, too; Nice and hot without turning your tongue into a scorched twig. I miss them sometimes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

A week after being let go for eating a piece of bacon in the kitchen at my old fancy grocery store kitchen

What. :catstare:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Every time you post about this lovely manager, my blood pressure shoots up. God drat.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Quitting? That's a write-up.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

You, uh, you got any information to back that strawman up with, or?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

You brought the bags, you pack the bags.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

By accident or by 'accident'?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Clearly you didn't upsell hard enough. Upselling cannot fail, it can only be failed :pseudo:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I've never been called to jury duty but I'm 100% deaf in both ears so they probably don't want a deaf man on the jury :downs: though with how loving stupid the courts around here are, I sometimes wonder

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Do you not have any way to hear in situations like that?

I have a cochlear implant, but the batteries only run 6 to 8 hours a charge and I don't think they'd appreciate having to stop the court in the middle of someone talking for me to swap them out should they die in the middle of a witness grilling :shrug: The processor microphones also, despite being much better than previous models, are also still not 1:1 with normal human hearing so I could still mishear someone or just plain not hear what they said if they're a mumbler.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I don't suppose I could entice you to look into the video game industry? Chucklefish specifically? :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I assumed it to be something like the scene from Me Myself & Irene where Jim Carrey is washing his rear end in the sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Hat Dumbassery
I'm a security guard but one of my previous supervisors tried to give me poo poo for wearing a bucket hat instead of a ballcap with SECURITY across the front of it. Had to demonstrate for the motherfucker that the Security ballcap is literally too small to fit on my head before he'd shut the gently caress up about it.

What's that? Order a bigger one? Hell no, that would've required effort on his part.