Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
I think my favorite thing working at EB was parents stopping in the store and dropping their kids off as they wander the mall.

Ive had more then one parent come in and tear a strip out of me for not stopping their kids as they left the store. Or the times when the kids start being idiots and having to be kicked out of the store is also a great conversation.

Earlier in the thread people were mentioning problems taking change, I had one guy bring in an old pickled egg jar, one of the huge 6 or 8L ones, full of loose pennies, assuring me that there was enough for his game in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

I have a bit of a weird situation. I suppose I work at EB games in Canada. I have been at EB part time for over 9 years. This year however things have gone downhill.

They rolled out a new policy in May or June and i disagreed with it. This resulted in an immediate suspension without pay for two months and when I came back, I was given a level two writeup. This, for the record, was my first writeup for the company since I started there.

Since this wasn't a full time job, I honestly didn't care. I was originally using the place for a discount for my gaming needs. Then I discovered Steam so i only buy the odd console game there anymore. For the most part my coworkers were cool. My managers beforehand were great as well. I think it started to become a problem when I was 5 years older then the manager and the normal EB scare tactics of "don't make me call the district manager" didn't work on me.

Since my writeup ive worked 4 shifts, the last one in September. Last month I called up the manager and booked this Saturday off, its the holiday party for my full time job. I just got a text message from the assistant manager that im working 530-930 and the manager has no recollection of my booking the time off. Personally, I think this is hilarious.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

TontoCorazon posted:

gently caress, you are in an awesome position to tell those fucks your through. I know would

Haha update! Manager said if I wasn't in on Saturday I'd be written up, which as per my last write up is termination... So I'm not goin in and they fired me. She then calls me up and asks me to give written notice so they can write it up as a quit.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Not only that, but write to corporate and tell them exactly what she asked you to do.

Actually got a call from HR, at 7:30am this morning, reaming me out because i refuse to give written notice... I fought with them for a while, then I saw the time. The call made me 30 minutes late for my real job this morning. Ive kept them in the loop with the EB job and they think its hilarious as well.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

rolleyes posted:

Wait, so has the manager lied to HR and told them you quit? I can't think of any other reason why they'd be wanting you to give notice.

I have no idea why they are pressuring for this. I dont think they have a metric they need to watch, i mean its EB and retail. They go through teenage employees like crazy.

Maybe they think if i quit I cant go the the labor standards board or something.

and the policy that they wanted me to do, as it was explained to me, was to take the name, address, phone number and email of everyone who bought certain products. Even people under 18. This information was then put into a corporate web accessible database. I had massive privacy alarms going off in my head. From my understanding the only opt out was not to purchase the item.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Is it because you might claim unemployment or something?

Also, what products were they tracking?! I mean, that sort of thing might make sense for firearms or explosives, but videogames? Sheesh.

If i tried to claim EI for that job, I think I would get a $5 gift certificate yo MacDonalds.

It was some used products and discount cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

I am regularly scheduled for the shifts that end at 11 PM on Saturday and Sunday. This is after the buses stop running, and as such it means that I need to catch a cab home at $15 a pop, often after a shift that only earned me a gross paycheck of $40-50. I've inquired about possibly restricting my schedule so that I'm not one of the two cashiers (of dozens) who work these shifts. I've been told that if I put any restrictions on my availability at all, I become "restricted" (instead of "open availability"), and get bumped way down the priority on scheduling, taking me from 28 hours a week to less than 15.

How many shifts do you work a week? it may come close to balancing out if you have lots of shifts for smaller hours