Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nosaj posted:

Its retail dude, theres not much room to be a unique snowflake, just hawk the candy in a monotonous voice and nod when they come around telling you to do more.

Working grunt-class retail in a sentence. Never tell the supervisors and managers they have bad ideas or you'll get fired for inane, made-up reasons.

One of my friends at the place just suddenly puked, felt horrible. She starts packing away her apron and such and informs a manager that she's vomiting and needs to go home before she gets worse.

Manager's response: Uh, alright, well just finish packing down the end caps (refilling displays at the end of aisles) and you can go home.

Her: Uh, what? I feel horrible and that would take like 2 hours. I've never taken a sick day in the 2 years I've worked here! I'm going home I don't need this poo poo.

Week later: Fired for "unacceptable attitude towards customers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Part-Time Robot posted:

In the bookstore vein, I have no sympathy for all the kids coming in trying to finish their summer reading two days before school started. Don't cry to me if we don't have the book, you were the one who had three months to read the thing and now you're coming in looking for the thinnest book on your list so you can continue to shirk your homework. I had a kid come in today and buy a 300+ page book and had to read it all AND do her huge summer assignment by Friday. :downs:

This times a million. What is up with people and procrastination? It only makes logical sense to distribute work over a long period of time so that there's no stress or feeling of time limit, yet everyone waits until the last day, or even the last hour.

Content, home depot rant:
Has the American consumer ever heard of the phrase "Long-term investment?" I work in flooring, so tiles, wood flooring, vinyl, and their respective adhesives/accessories.

What I get every drat day:
Them: What's the cheapest glue I can use for these ___.
Me: Well, there's this, and you apply it with this and that to give it ridges for a stronger hold, and you should apply this so that it doesn't fall with water, that way-
Them: Uh, this is just for: A. someone else's apartment/house B. some place I'm renting out to someone else, so I don't really give a poo poo, I'm just gonna get the adhesive
Me: Um, okay, but it's going to start falling off in a few months and-
Them: Thank you!
:doh:

So today, a customer decided to give me the same poo poo, and I customer-service-exploded on them.
Me: Alright, just use the adhesive, but know that your friend/your renter is going to be very pissed off when a few months down the road the tiles start chipping off or they're totally destroyed by any contact with water, and you're probably going to think back to this day and say to yourself:
"Gee, I wish I spent 40 dollars that day instead of 25, because now I'm gonna spend 300+ re-tiling/surfacing/whatever the whole god-damned floor/wall/everything and waste tons of time, and I won't be able to blame it on anyone but myself."

He took the accessories (which I discounted for him since they're rip-offs) and other necessary things. :smug:

It just pisses me off so much. No one seems to understand the concept of "If I spend a little more now, I'll get several times the bang out of my buck later." They just want cheap, quick solutions and don't give a poo poo what happens because it's "so far ahead." Wake up! Ahead doesn't mean never, it means it's going to be now sooner or later. Don't even get me started on the amount of times people come in for help with re-tiling and they're repeating the same loving errors.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 12, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

e: dumb

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 29, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I feel bad for people who skip this chapter of life though. Working retail teaches you A LOT about people and how difficult the industry is, and I feel a hell of a lot nicer from working at the depot even if some people make me lose faith in humanity.

We (and by we I mean anyone in retail, really) get people everyday who seem to be oblivious to how a job works. The back/overhead is magical and has infinite supplies of everything, even things the store doesn't sell anymore.
If we're not helping out customers it means we're just picking our noses, we're totally not trying to make sure the store is clean whilst trying to fulfill constant demands from superiors or anything like that. Oh and it's totally okay to bother us and tell us full stories when we're doing something that requires concentration.

It's baffling how little people know. :( It gets to the point where a customer with any amount of modesty or respect gets my instant worship.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I closed my store on Wednesday (thursday the store is closed for thanksgiving, so this was prepping for Black Friday). I worked a 16 hour shift. I started at 2pm and left the store at six in the morning. We also do this lovely thing on BF where we just keep selling until we're out of stock and the store doesn't close.

So, I close tonight again. I come in at 2 (hour and 20 from now) and I'm pretty confident I'm either going to hit overtime or they're going to boot me out before I can and I'll have the whole weekend off. I am dreading this. I am afraid of what I'm going to see when I come in. I'm afraid of how long I'm going to be there.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 26, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

My manager at Staples is an idiot and she doesn't know poo poo about how to disperse hours properly.

The store barely makes enough to support the employees it already has yet she keeps hiring new people and promising them all sorts of things and then they get <20 hours.

I for one, well, it's thursday and I've worked 4 hours this week. I left another job for this place and I feel so hosed over.

Is there some sort of megathread on somethingawful on "How to get the gently caress out of retail" or something? So many people on here have office jobs at the water cooler or just don't have to deal with customers and get paid decently/greatly and I'm wondering how I even get those jobs.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

e: poo poo

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I work for a major airline (not Malaysia if you're wondering), I just take calls from people trying to book flights/seats and of course a lot of complaints. Sometimes, flights get cancelled very far in advance, due to rerouting and shifting legal stuff. So that dream trip through South America you planned in March can go to poo poo. We offer limited free rebooking (+/- one day any time) or a full refund if a passenger wants to cancel.

Rebooking is often lovely because direct flights are traded for connecting ones (which everyone hates obv) or service to certain cities will be reduced drastically. There are dozens of these changes a day, and this kind of poo poo makes up the bulk of our calls.

I got a person who was furious her flight was switched to a pretty lovely connection, needing to overnight in London before their destination instead of the direct they booked in April. The same lovely connection was available every day of the week.

The limited flights of course had barely any seats available from people being rolled over, so they were going to have to sit apart.

:mad: "Well, move another passenger to put us together!"
:raise: "I'm sorry, but I can't just change seats on other reservations."
:mad: "Oh? Can you point me to where exactly it says on my ticket that [airline] can change my flights whenever it wants and leave me stranded?"

Now the calls are obviously recorded and when we get loving childish questions like these we're supposed to apologize and divert attention. It was late and I was tired so I snapped and said "I can actually show you exactly where it says that on our airline policy" and started pulling up the file, and they called me a little poo poo. We need to act pleasant but if someone curses, we have every right to hang up. So I wished them a great day!