Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
from the sounds of this thread. this seems to be a mostly American problem. that poo poo won't fly where I work.

(I live in the UK btw.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
as a non computer geek kind of guy, why is norton have such a bad rap?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

quote:

Norton stuff

oh right. I had a laptop that came with it pre-installed. I couldn't install Mcafee on it thanks to that.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
wow. that seemed like that they were trying to force you to do what they wanted. the sidekicks was there to intimidate you.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Luquos posted:

My manager's a loving idiot.

Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to scare someone when they're cleaning out the VERY hot chip tray. And then, without offering help for the burns I have on my hand, which by the way, even at that point, hurt like hell, just laughed at me. And then, while I had my hand running under cold water - and despite him being perfectly able to do it himself - he has the nerve to ask me to tend to the one, rather drunk customer in the store.

I love my job. My co-workers are great, and 99% of the customers are amazing. But my, god, do I want to injure this man. Very, very seriously.

gently caress man you should sue. That's pretty drat serious. That could have gotten you crippled. you could get him out of the job and land you with some needed cash.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
holy poo poo. That's not even legal.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Pretty sure threatening is illegal.

It is Illegal from where I from.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

I'm a North American living in Europe, and the differences in retail culture have really shocked me. I hate to say that they seem to be on opposite extreme ends of the spectrum, but that both extremes are pretty lovely.

In North America it seems the customers have complete control and you're expected to lap at their dicks the entire time they are on the premises. "The customer is always right" is taken far too seriously. It seems to have been institutionalised that treating another human like an actual piece of poo poo is acceptable so long as that person is in retail and the dick might purchase something.

In Europe retail workers are not treated as shittily at all, but customers do have to put up with a lot more poo poo, particularly waiting. In restaurants and cafés the waits can be downright obscene, and that goes for every part of the experience (being approached the first time, getting your food, getting your bill). At shops and such it's not uncommon at all for workers on the floor to take their time finishing conversations with co-workers before letting you buy something.

Is there any place where good service standards have been achieved without getting there by making retail/service personnel second-class citizens?

The reason why in Europe customers are treated like second-class citzens is that You are here to buy stuff. That's it. Nearly all the stuff that your customers pull in the United States is the best way to get banned. In other words, companys view you as a ATM over here, but they know that customers are going to stop coming if they treat them too rough.

It's also depending on where you are as well. Britian is famous for their Queues for a reason. Waiting for 30 mins at a busy supermarket or Bank? Normal. At a Petrol station and there isn't any pumps free? Wait for one. Someone hosed up your order? Ask the waiter. Have an tray full of Cola spilled on your head? :dealwithit:

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

miscellaneous14 posted:

I can understand the other things, but I'm pretty sure you'd have every right to raise a stink about getting poo poo spilled all over you, no matter what country you're in. I don't mean to sound like a typical grumpy customer, but if that happened, and they just told me to "deal with it", I don't think I'd ever come back to that restaurant again.

Yeah It was pretty lovely place to begin with. Cheap food though!

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

silversiren posted:

I was in the wrong and apologise for what I said about the pregnant girl. Though it should be mentioned my coworkers hope she doesn't keep the pregnancy, including my boss.
I was wrong and it won't happen again. My boss thinks I can't handle the job because I am "too sick" and I might be out of a job again soon so joke's on me. Failing at life over here.

Get some therapy for fucks sake. Stop E/Ning all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Hey at least you don't have to pay to contest your company firing you!