Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Burger Konig
Sep 26, 2010
I'm being trained as a front end manager of a grocery store, so most of the time I am off register and answering phones or delegating breaks or printing and filling out various forms, however whenever any lines build up, I grab whoever is sticking out and take them to a lane and check them out. This isn't really me being nice as it is the store's policy, but I don't mind it...at first.

Has anyone else noticed that a lane with its light turned off, yet a person is on register and people are in the line is one of the most tantalizing sights for customers. They'll just slide in, or at best ask, "Are you open?" to which I have to say "Hop on in!" all cheerily because store policy doesn't let us say our lane is closed if we are currently manning the register, even if it is. This holds true also for any cashier who is getting ready to leave, they can't deny customers, though we turn a blind eye to it, if our boss heard someone saying "Sorry were closed" he would freak out.

Most people will feign ignorance if you point out your light is off, "Oh sorry I didn't notice" or some such, but I can only imagine their thought process is "hmm, their light is off, they must be getting ready to go, which means they'll be moving quickly trying to get us through!"

Oh, also, if you have WIC checks, at least have the decency to know what is on the checks, don't just dump a pile of food on the belt, hand me a stack of checks, and say "Whatever isn't on there I won't get." At least most people are kind enough to group the items with the check their using.

Das Burger Konig fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Burger Konig
Sep 26, 2010
While my first post was a bit more of a everyday compliant, today I shall contribute with a specific tale that has left me pretty confused.

A couple weeks ago, we had this woman come into the store, the typical mid day grocery store patron, anyways, she comes up and starts asking about the set of lawn furniture (a set of chairs and a glass table) we have on display outside. I inform her they are for sale, give her the price, and she very excitedly says she will take the set.

She pulls her car to the front of the store and all staff on hand proceeds to shake their heads in silent shame, for the box the table is in was about half the size of the car, and their was no way she was going to take them home in that. She realizes this as soon as she sees the boxes beside her car and says she will be back tomorrow to pick them up, while mumbling something about how its just rude that we don't deliver. I smile and tell her that we will hold on to them and just come up to the front desk when she is ready to pick the up.

She comes in with her friend, whom I'm assuming at this point has a truck, because most people would come to the conclusion after seeing those boxes that a truck is what is needed to pick up these boxes. The man is driving a car that is only slightly bigger than hers and upon seeing the boxes, he too comes to the conclusion that a truck is needed and tells the lady such. As they are leaving she pulls him over and whispers into his ear. He comes back up to us and says in quite possibly the most halfhearted 'angry' voice I have ever heard that we should deliver. She comes back later that day with another friend, and when we go to take the boxes out to the car, that persons car is smaller than the friend who came earlier. So they give up for the day and head home.

That next day we receive a call from this lady, demanding to speak to the store manager. I transfer the call, wondering just what the hell she's going to say. About 10 minutes later he calls back down to the front desk, I answer, and a very annoyed sounding store manager asks if I have a truck. To my horror I cannot stop myself from answering in the affirmative; practically fainting when I hear myself say "Right Away" when he ask me to bring it to the front of the store. I pull it to the front, minutes going by without anything happening, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, dealing with this woman on her home turf, like the dentist, i assure myself that I'm building it up to be worse than it will actually be.

My manager hands me the directions, we get the boxes loaded in the back, and I'm off. Eventually I arrive at the domain of this woman, it is a townhouse, with no front yard or back, and not a porch in site. I see the lady going into her house as I pull into the driveway and she looks back and sees me pulling in, but when i go to ring the doorbell, it takes her no less than 20 minutes to answer the door. When she does I smile the type of smile that you know you had to spend part of your soul to muster (I imagine most people in this thread know the feeling) and explain what I'm doing there. "Great!" she says as she goes back inside and closes the door. About 5 minutes later the garage door opens, it is filled to the brim with stuff, random stuff, a couch, pool noodles, stuffed animals, license plates, cabinets of various designs all filled to the point of busting with little stuff. "Put them wherever" she says. I unload the boxes, we get the garage door closed with some effort, and she goes back inside.

I don't know if she was planning on moving at some point, or maybe the lawn furniture was a gift for someone, or perhaps she just had a severe shopping problem, but oh well. When i get back to the store, our store manager apologizes for making me go out and deliver it, but he was just honestly so sick of dealing with her he just wanted to get her to shut up one way or the other.

Das Burger Konig
Sep 26, 2010

side_burned posted:

One thing I've learned working retail is expect nothing from management. No raises, no benefits, no respect nothing.

I was, granted it was in gift cards to the store, but since its a grocery store, its not like they were useless. The management (of which I am training to be a member of) at my store is pretty decent. We try to treat everyone based on the merit of their work and give them the benefit of the doubt when they start. We understand customers are poo poo heads and that most cashiers and courtesy clerks are not looking to have this job for more than a few months, so as long as you don't offend anyone, we don't really give a poo poo if you don't remind someone of their gas reward points. But boy would their be hell to pay if our corporate bosses heard me saying that.

That's most of the management anyways, our scheduling manager is scatter brained and never gets it right, and our Grocery manager is a creepy middle aged lecherous perv, but other than that..

Das Burger Konig
Sep 26, 2010
So I've found out that my name is on the short list of people to be in charge of holiday orders this season. I'm not quite sure if answering the phone and writing down orders is going to be better or worst than my normal job, I guess I will see.

To my astonishment and frustration I found myself saying yes to working 7-5 on christmas, so that is fun too.