Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I'm an assistant manager at a store in a very rednecky area of town, and boy do we get some interesting people. The most stereotypical hillbillies you can imagine. One guy a few weeks ago asked one of my guys for "Powder for guys", when asked to clarify it was "You know, for guys. For when you have swamp rear end"

Earlier this week someone managed to cut the lock mechanism off our dumpster. In the weirdest way possible, it looked like they went at it with an angle grinder then pried the lock out. Dude, if you've got an angle grinder just go through the lock hasp. They must have been amazingly dissapointed when all they found inside was a couple bags of bathroom trash.

The biggest thing that drives us nuts and happens all the time is the hillbillies trying to dicker on prices. We had one guy argue that if he bought an entire bedset (headboard, rails, footboard) we should just throw in a matress for free. I had to spend half an hour when I was trying to go through closing procedures telling him over and over that the price isn't negotiable. He actually came in the next day when I was off telling our furniture guy I said I'd give him 20% off. Our furniture guy isn't an idiot and called me though. I ended up having to report him up the chain for threatening me over "Breaking your word", just in case I got clubbed over the head leaving some night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

SaberToothedPie posted:

Don't lock anyone in.

I'm so paranoid about this. We had a redneck gently caress in a swastika t-shirt dissapear right at closing one night. Myself and our furniture manager and another employee scoured that loving store. I finally got smart and pulled up the camera feed and found he had zipped out in about 15 seconds when I had my back turned.

A previous manager did lock someone in at closing time once. Him and the cashier went back in the office to count tills, and when they came back out the city police were in the building because the customer panicked and called 911. Like dude, you know how to work a deadbolt, right?

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So a couple months back we had a very interesting issue with our armored car pickup. Our location was on a Mon and Fri pickup from Garda, but they hadn't showed for 2 weeks. Interesting emails had been sent from the store manager and DM asking what in the gently caress was going on. It got a point where the store manager instructed us baby managers to email some gal at corporate every morning with a status. She started CCing us on her emails to Garda, and it was amusing watching the language go from corporatespeak to "What is going on? This must be handled NOW." Our grand total ended up being something like 60 days worth of deposits sitting in our safe. I actually added it up out of curiosity, it was well over $80,000. Obviously nobody was comfortable sitting on a nice robbery target like that (At a small store).

We eventually saw an email come back from Garda something like "Arrangements have been made, location will be serviced on <date>" I just happened to be the manager that day and got to hand over the metric fuckton of moneybags. I chatted up the pickup person, asking what had been going on. He was more than happy to explain the story.

Apparently what had happened was my city's local Garda depot had almost all their staff walk out. He didn't know why, but I'd guess lovely management. The manager in charge of the depot tried to cover everything up, sending his handful of remaining people out to service high-profile clients, leaving everyone else hanging. He was deflecting any contact from his higher-ups asking why they were getting shitloads of complaints, and managed to keep it going for almost 2 months. Finally either the complaints drifted high enough, or someone found the right contact but some Garda regional boss turned up to check into things and unraveled the whole thing. House was cleaned and Garda had to start sending people out of a depot 2 hours away until the local office got defucked.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

My old manager in the store was stealing like mad from the store. He only got fired after like...six months of failed audits?

Our AP guy is spectacularly useless. He's been with the company for like 25 years, the going theory is he has some dirt on higher-ups and they can't get rid of him despite his absolute worthlessness. Entire security camera system down? Eh maybe I'll get on that in a month. Cashier stealing $200 over a couple days where we had done all the investigative work and proved it down to one person? Eh gently caress it, on vacation. Box of dippin dots got entered non-recieved accidently? Better show up at your location and do a 3 hour investigation!

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So yesterday one of our trucks came in. I was in the warehouse trying to defuck things and opened the back door so the driver could come in and get his BOL signed. He walks up and says "So did they tell you what's going on with this piece of poo poo trailer?" Well, no, nobody did. This should be good.

Apparently at the first drop they found out that the counterweight system for the trailer door was hosed. It took four of them muscling the thing to open the door, then they discovered it also wouldn't stay open. So they propped the door open with a load lock. Thankfully the driver was cool and passed all this on, otherwise we would have been a bit frustrated. First store never bothered to call and pass the word along. They trusted that dispatch would handle that (loving lol). So I rounded up a couple associates and us and the truck driver hulked the door open and propped a load lock in it.

Dispatch had sent a tech out to the first store to try to fix it, but corporate decided it would cost too much. Just send the death trap on to the next store! Once we unloaded we had to figure out how to safely shut the loving thing. So I tied a chunk of rope around the load lock and had an associate give it a good yank.

Of loving course I took video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSYMVlzFnnw

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

You made the video private - needs to be unlisted if you want us to see it but not have it show up in searches or whatever. (or maybe it's still uploading, although that usually shows up as Video Deleted)

Yeah, my bad. I always mix those two up.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Alkydere posted:

You mean pay 3-5x as much to do it twice because the first time broke something/damaged something else, or in this case made a bunch of your product go bad.

6 years I've been at my store. Every single year in the middle of summer our AC shits the bed. Every year corporate drags rear end about "No it seems to be working fine!" until piles of customer complaints roll in. One year they had the HVAC guys in at least 10 times over the course of a month trying to patch things together. The HVAC unit in the building is literally from the 1970s, the techs kept telling corporate that seriously you just need to bite the bullet and replace this poo poo. Finally one year they authorized something substantial, replacing two compressors on the roof. All 4 were hosed, but 2 were less hosed I guess? They had to get a crane out and everything. Why in the gently caress wouldn't you just replace all of them, surely renting a crane and having the techs ALREADY ON SITE would make it worth it.

Already it's starting to get stupid hot in the building. Here we go again!

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

A while back we got the Worst Recliner Ever. We opened a brand new box to put one out on display, and this was the unholy abomination that we found.

To quote a coworker, "Some motherfucker built this on a Friday."

We're also gearing up for the first semi-big remodel our store has seen since 2003. Our lovely one-entrance service desk is going to be replaced with a snazzy new modern linear counter with attached impulse-purchase rat maze. I'm looking forward to dragging the old one out back and murdering it with the sledge hammer. One issue that I don't think the higher-ups have considered is what the 18 year old floor is going to look like under there. Which is laid out to be right under the fancy new queueing area. We got a sneak preview when our Coke machine took a poo poo and had to be replaced.

Our floor tiles are also about 5 layers of tile deep, because apparently over the life of this building whenever they replaced it they just slapped new tile over the old tile. They also rip up extremely easy, as I've replaced a few since we had spares and I'm not a moron. One tile was like an archaeological dig of dank gross old tile layers before finally hitting concrete. I fully expect when we remove the old desk half the floor is going to come up with it. And it's going to be hilarious.

And a closing bit of truck graffiti

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

We've been having a grand old time at my store. Corporate always schedules major department resets in the summer, and food and health & beauty are on the list.

I love the people I work with, with the exception of the ASM who seems incapable of doing anything right lately. She handled a couple overnight shifts for electrical work and starts in on health & beauty, tells everyone it's totally done except for cosmetics and medication. Great, cool, we run stocking on that department and surprise surprise, she's actually completed all of 12 ft. So I spent all of last week doing everything myself, hilariously finding out corporate geniuses budgeted us 10hrs payroll for the entire reset. Not even loving Superman could do this reset in 10hrs.

Meanwhile, ASM has moved on to doing the food resets, and of course going along and looking the areas she's "finished" are completely half-done and hosed up. We're so far behind we can't even run stocking on that department until it gets un-hosed. My SM is one of the chillest people I've ever worked with and he's gradually getting closer to going nuclear.

Corporate announced on a conference call that because of a "glitch" they've been budgeting hours for special tasks incorrectly. 10 hours for an entire health & beauty changeover. They also gave us 10 hours to assemble a new gondola. Something that took myself and the SM a whopping hour and a half to complete even with moving poo poo out of the way. Naturally to fix this glitch they're implementing a test program to study task completion times. Instead of just picking up the phone and calling stores that have flagged those tasks complete and asking "So how long did it really take?"

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Stories like that make me glad I'm apparently in a fortunate spot. Our SM has our backs, the DM is chill and not a giant prick like the last one. But it also depresses me because I know it won't last. But gently caress it, enjoying it while it does.

Other corporate hilarity, they're pushing our reward card super hard. It's clear half the stores in the district are just faking poo poo because once you metric something of course people are going to game it. Someone at HQ apparently tried to make it suck less (It's hilariously inconvenient compared to other retailers) and "addressed" common issues. One was giving the customer a benefit right away for signing up, $5 off. Ok cool, great, signups did increase. Some stores even went above and beyond setting up a little signup table up front for the launch, or stationing some poor bastard with a handheld to hassle incoming customers to boost the rollout.

Naturally a few days later corporate sent out a mandate that you absolutely cannot do any of that stuff because it isn't approved. After weeks of hype telling everyone it was going to be this big thing so make it huge guys!

I will never understand the mindset. Our old DM was like that. "Big quarterly sale coming up! Make sure to get really excited! Market it! Really pull in the customers!" "Hey DM, we found some old Big Lots latex balloons in the back, and a half-filled helium tank. Want us to put some up?" "Absolutely not!"

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Our logistics are so hilariously hosed at my store. About 2 or 3 months ago my company booted the logistics company they used for DC deliveries and decided to handle it all in house. Since then every store has been getting slammed with a schedule of one week no truck, next week two truck, repeat. But sometimes it will revert to normal one truck per week, but we don't find out until the friday before. It's completely loving the scheduling and burning people out.

Also since then, our of our previous 6 trucks, 5 have been 2+ hours late destroying our scheduling even more. This cycle we were scheduled for next monday, and out of the blue the truck rolls in yesterday afternoon. Nobody has a clue what's going on. The truck did a live unload at a previous stop, and I'm sure they were THRILLED to have to unload a 4 day early truck with whoever they happened to have scheduled that day.

Our furniture deliveries are just as hosed. Ashley has just been showing up whenever the gently caress they feel like, with no notice at all. Which is fine, we only get one Ashley load a month anymore and it's basically sold as soon as it's off the trailer. Our other furniture supplier showed up a day early out of the blue with 50 some pieces that the poor bastard closing manager had to unload solo.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

We switched to Microsoft Teams for everyone a few years ago and I'd prefer almost anything else. It's a slow piece of garbage.

gently caress this piece of poo poo software. My company used to use a proprietary web app for inventory and email. It kinda sucked, but it ran pretty well. Naturally they replaced it with Office365 and Teams, and a new flashier-looking inventory app that sucks balls.

We used to have pretty bog-standard retail handhelds for item checks and counts and such, and they worked just fine. But some fuckhead executive decided we had to look MODERN to the customers and now we have ipod based handhelds. They lock up all the time, one of them can drain its battery from full to dead in an hour of heavy use, and you have to use the goddamn touch keyboard to enter SKUs instead of physical number buttons. One of them has a pistol grip that likes to crap out, which is a problem because then you can't charge it. It's apparently a widespread enough problem that they sent out a task to us not to remove the pistol grip as it requires a "Special tool" to reinstall it. It's just a plain-rear end lightning cable plugged into the actual unit.

We've gone through 3 replacements of the pistol grip handheld, and one of the other one. In the 4 years previous how many times did we replace the older ones? loving never, but I guess I don't think like an executive.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

One of my company's biggest priorities is signing people up on our dumb rewards card. It's always been a slog because they keyed accounts to email which instantly makes our massive old folk demographic ineligible. About 3 months ago they did a big "study" on the program and determined a few things. The biggest obstacle was clearly "Email required", their fix? We'll look at that in 2022. The other obstacle was "I don't get anything right now" so they introduced a $5 off coupon for new signups. And that poo poo worked, instantly we were signing up 10+ more people per day.

Naturally the big galaxy-brain MBAs at corporate decided to end the coupon program for 4th quarter. Already the numbers are flatlining and the DMs are losing their poo poo.

This is all on top of most stores in the chain hanging onto the cliff edge above death spiral territory by their fingernails. We've barely got enough staff to maintain store operations, let alone handle all the other idiotic make-work that they throw at us. Another store in town that my girlfriend works at is well into the death spiral, sometimes operating with only a manager to run cashier. They're drowning in customer complaints because of course you can't handle the usual "Can you get that down from the top shelf" when you're chained to the front end, let alone run the furniture department. As soon as they get someone hired on they lose someone else from burnout. I'm fairly certain the store manager is covering all of this up to not look bad to the DM, they're scheduling hours to employees who don't even work there so their schedule looks normal.

The other managers there are also playing office cliques and running out anyone they don't like, while enforcing the most piddly overlooked policy things while ignoring larger issues. Girlfriend is already planning her exit, I'm trying to convince her to drop a tip to the DM on her way out the door.

I'm trying to get myself into the mental headspace to just watch the chaos and chuckle.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

ErKeL posted:

Always after raging out the day before, "I'm never shopping here again" .They say it as a threat but you feel nothing but a wave of relief.
It's short lived because you know like everything they've said before it they're full of poo poo.

Last year we had a lady that bought a table and chair set, and one of the chairs was hosed. Okay, no problem, it happens. We didn't have any more chairs, but one of my coworkers picked one up on transfer from another store in town. Called the lady, she doesn't answer, we leave a voicemail that her replacement chair is here.

Nobody sees her for a month or two, until she comes in when I'm opening MOD and starts screaming asking where her chair is. I had mostly been on the sidelines for the whole thing, but I remember seeing the chair for her sitting around and asking about it. So I try to calm her down, we have your chair here, no problem. Actually we have two, since they're sold as a pair. Since we're giving her one SKU worth of product anyway I just say gently caress it and give her both hoping it will chill her out. "gently caress you, I'm never shopping here again!"

I see her shopping at least once every month. I make sure to always warn my cashiers about her whenever she's in.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Who else has some amazing stories of failure employees that didn't last long? These are some of my favorites from the store I worked at.

- Conspiracy Theory Guy: Hired on and immediately started talking conspiracies with everyone. Thankfully it wasn't Q poo poo, but the more amusing types of theories like wild JFK theories (Jackie did it!). He did believe all the false-flag bullshit about shootings though, but this was my favorite. He worked with us when the Las Vegas shooting happened, and sure enough the day after he was telling anyone that would listen how it was a false flag operation. I asked him how he knew (because he was fun to rile up) and his answer was "They don't make guns that shoot that fast." He ended up vanishing after he read on Facebook that Trump was going to shut off the entire power grid on such-and-such date to "test" America's emergency response. He ran off to Kentucky or something to be with his family for these impending end times.

- Couldn't make it through training guy: Second day after doing his paperwork he's going through all the computer training. Gets up and walks out, everyone assumes he was going for a smoke or something, never comes back. He comes back a few days later, begs the store manager for another chance and amazingly she goes for it. He picks up where he left off on the computer training...Then gets up and walks out, doesn't come back ever.

- Shoes Kid: He had worked with us maybe a week. One morning he's scheduled for 9am or so, we had just finished unloading truck and were going out on break, I say hi to him as he clocks in and heads for the break room. A couple hours later the store manager asks me if I'd seen him, I said I had that he clocked in and was here at 9. We looked everywhere, he's nowhere to be found. Finally he shows back up a couple more hours later, the store manager corners him and asks where the gently caress he was. His answer "I had to go buy some new shoes." She fired him on the spot.

- Vanishing Guy: Our chain used to do a big 20% off weekend promotion until COVID killed it. Our DM was a hardass about having people out promoting, so pretty much every associate would have to rotate through and walk the street outside with a sign. Nothing crazy, they'd be told just head one direction for fifteen minutes, then come back. They didn't have to dance or do anything dumb, we'd have a nice stash of cold water if it was a hot day or such. Everyone else has done their turn, it's this guy's turn so I give him the sign and tell him what to do. He hems and haws over it, acting like it's the worse thing ever, "It's so hot out!" It was like 80, max that day. I finally convince him, "Dude it's half an hour you can get some fresh air and not have to deal with customers, everyone else has done their turn." So he finally takes the sign and heads out. An hour later we start getting concerned, he hasn't come back. I actually went out and drove the route looking for him, we were starting to get legit worried he had walked into the road and gotten hit or something. Then someone finds the sign leaning against the side of the building and his car missing. Dude just bailed.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Inner Light posted:

Nothing much to do with your story, I am curious from an advertising / revenue generation standpoint -- do you think the presence of the sign and people holding it, legitimately increased the number of paying customers coming into the store?

Nah, not at all. But that DM was a giant idiot pain in the rear end, and he would drive around to as many stores as he could hit on sale day and if you didn't have someone out he'd start screaming. Once he left and we got a new one that practice stopped. He even demanded we put out like 50 yard signs around the area, which was a giant logistical pain in the rear end. He wanted them in "strategic" locations, so someone had to go around and put them out and note down where they were. Because when it was time to remove them, unless the placer worked a 13 hour shift or something it was someone else that picked them up.

The same DM for the sale brought in some kind of mascot costume once and demanded someone wear it. In the middle of july. The store manager had a volunteer put it on, took a picture of him wearing it as "proof" then told him to take that silly poo poo off. Good boss.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I absolutely love the really poorly thought out theft stories too. Sometimes the actually well thought out ones are fun too. Our current DM was our area asset protection guy before moving up, one day he came in and must have been bored because he just started telling me all sorts of wild poo poo. My favorite was his tale of the Grand Trucker Scam. It went like this:

Trucker picks up his assigned trailer from the DC. Trucker drives to a farm property he owned, where he worked as a metalworker on the side. He would pull in to the barn, use his tools to cut the door hinges off the trailer, then lay the doors down so he wouldn't break the seal. Then he could take whatever poo poo he wanted off the trailer, before using his tools and experience to weld the doors back onto the trailer, then deliver it to the store.

Apparently this guy got away with this poo poo for YEARS. He must not have gotten too greedy, but knowing how inept AP was at my company the stores probably did notice the shorts but nobody listened or cared. He only got busted when an AP director was visiting a local flea market and saw someone selling a bunch of company branded merchandise and did a little investigating.

AP guy also told me about some hilariously halfassed thefts. Like one associate at a store on his second day ever spies the dropbox under the furniture desk, walks off and gets a crowbar, pops the fucker open and pockets the cash. Like dude, do you really think nobody will wonder how that happened?

We had a few associates get nailed for theft when I was there, mostly cash refund scamming for amounts not even near worth it. But one gal was just skimming cash and probably got over $500, we had all the evidence lined up and the lazy-gently caress new AP guy never bothered to come look into it. So she got away with it clean.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

D34THROW posted:

On the theft front, there was the day i came in for an opening shift at Dollar Tree and found out the store had been broken into. They went into the roof over the office, came down on the safe pretty much and cut a hole in it to steal maybe $1.5k in cash and coin. Then they cut a hole in our stockroom wall to the Tuesday Morning next door, boosted their entire SAFE out of TMs back door.

My store had a Dollar Tree right next door that got broken into too. What's with this mission impossible poo poo to get into Dollar Tree? On ours they pickaxed the rear emergency door open, luckily for them the door was made of 10% steel 90% rust. Then pickaxed the safe open, apparently Dollar Tree safes just have sheet metal sides. They peeled it like a bannana and got some rolled coin.

That's our emergency door next to it, they tried ours but didn't quite get it open. It was bent enough to get us a new door though. We were in at 6am that morning for truck, then wandered out on our break after unload to find cops all over the parking lot. We were a bit confused.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

PitViper posted:

The number of delivery drivers who are unable to even point the rear end end of a semi vaguely towards the door that they need to unload to in the last several months has been increasing. Most just pull straight across our shop doors, then ask that basically my while team working drop what they're doing in order to form a human chain in order to unload my tire delivery.

Our store had a side dock, it was a bit cramped but nothing crazy. There was even a little gravel drive to a shack owned by the railroad in line with the dock. We had drivers take 45 minutes to get into dock. I don't understand it at all, I've looked at our DC on google maps, it's the usual wall-o-docks. How the gently caress do these jokers get into a specified dock with a trailer on each side when they can't do it in an open lot?

Years ago when I was an associate a driver was taking so long the unload manager had us all go stand outside and watch. The guy got so pissed about that.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

My store is falling apart. Well, I think the whole company is falling apart.

I was curious and checked the stock price, boy howdy my chain is -55% down YTD, that probably explains a few things. See, since the start of the year we've had:

District Manager that was actually quite well-respected quit to go work for a school district.

His replacement is the very definition of a no-brain corporate yes man. He's already pissed off every single store in the district with his shenanigans.

As a result our district has something like 6 (out of 20ish) stores with no store manager, and more than that of missing at least one lower-level manager. People are just straight out walking.

New DM is just hilariously inept. He came to our location to interview the Assman for a SM position (An impressive upwards fail in its own right), and decided to use that time to chew out our SM for some minor issues. Then he returned 3 hours later and demanded to know why none of his changes were done. In that time period SM was on a conference call (WITH the DM), MOD was doing a 1000+ SKU price change, and we had literally nobody else because our hours are getting slashed to the bone.

Corporate is replacing the losses with whatever morons they can find, pretty much all the instutional knowledge has walked. And dumbass DM demanded 28 more hours cut from the schedule this week. I'm just working part-time as a regular associate since my college hosed my schedule for a few months, watching the chaos.

Meanwhile, as the company is having such financial difficulties it didn't stop them from "remodelling" each store with wall graphics and new signage (which required outside contactors on scissor lifts), and replacing the facade signs with a new logo. Which is literally exactly the same as the old logo but they moved the ! to the end. gently caress knows how much that cost, but I'm guessing there's your problem.

Oh and of course the reason the chain can't keep anyone is we're still starting at $9.50 or $12 for management. Nobody wants to face that elephant in the room though.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Our new window-licking DM continues his hit parade:

About a year ago my company got rid of the outside dispatch/logistics provider, because the new CEO was "Super up on logistics", and decided to run all that in-house. So we went from rarely having things get hosed up, to every other week having things get hosed up. Trucks rescheduled at 3am the night before, constantly alternating on a no-truck-week and two-truck-week schedule, and other fun bullshit. Well, this week of course the scheduled truck got kicked back to next week, doubling us. Every other time this happened, the store managers all have to contact the DM to get the unload/stock hours transferred over. So our SM does that, and gets loving reamed by our new dickless DM saying "That's never been a policy, we can't do that"

So our SM asks how the holy gently caress we're supposed to run two trucks on one truck worth of hours. "Just be more effecient." loving golden.

He also told our SM to have the managers office and break room cleaned. Okay, sure the fridge is as horrible as any break room, but he was asked for specifics. He wants any decoration type stuff taken down, managers desks cleaned of basically anything, any personalization gone. I'm sure this plan will help with that almost 40% of store managers loving off out the door.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Our AssMan failed upwards to store manager at another location. Almost as soon as she got there, half the crew got fired for internal theft. Turned out they had been printing tickets for items at like $0.05 and purchasing them. I'm actually kinda impressed our useless previous assistant caught something like this instead of it going right over her head.

I'm also completely confused as to why AP didn't catch that poo poo next-day. Our system literally tallies up price ticket exceptions for the days transactions, sends a copy to the store email and I've been told by previous AP, auto-flags suspicious entries. Considering policy is only 25% and 75% off should be legit markdowns, you'd think someone would have noticed a bunch of 98% off variances.

Actually, I know the answer. Our current AP guy is staggeringly incompetent, and my going theory is he's sitting on a ton of buried skeletons and can't be disposed of. He's infamous for never checking his emails, after telling you to email him any concerns. Once last year when I was management, our camera system completely crashed out. I called him day of to let him know, he claimed he would dispatch service. And...A month goes by. Two. Finally he comes in for a 'Routine visit' and I ask him if we're ever getting that fixed. "Oh, I wasn't aware of this. I'll get service dispatched."

Our idiot new DM also continues his string of hits. When someone asked him on a conference call what the plan is for all the managers walking out or resigning his answer was "It's not a big deal, we can hire more" Dude is completely clueless of the scale of the brain-drain going on right now. These aren't even long-timers with high pay rates that the company would like to get rid of, it's newer folks just saying "gently caress this and gently caress you" and dipping.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Leal posted:

Last night our truck came in, which should mean we replenish stuff that is low, right? Say the fact I only had a single bottle of cleaner left when they placed the order, so that should've come in right? Well no, it didn't. I brought this up to my boss who told me that because this week a new period has started she wasn't allowed to order cleaner :psyduck: What the gently caress, like thats an actual corporate policy? Does corporate think that stores suddenly stop getting dirty when a new period starts?

Almost certainly their expenditure for supplies is tracked. Probably also keys into a bonus structure. They don't want to blow the supplies budget right off the bat. Which is still pretty silly, since you're going to need it eventually anyway. Of course if your chain is anything like mine, corporate can force-order poo poo you don't need anyway then use that as an excuse to gently caress management out of a bonus.

So maybe they're trying to keep a small buffer for the inevitable ratfucking.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So at my company the train wreck continues. Our moron new DM keeps slashing payroll hours like it's going out of style. We're getting pretty close to the point where we're not even going to be able to operate normal hours, so I'm not sure what he's thinking. We get maybe 1 day per week of hours for someone assigned to floor, IE the straighten poo poo up and help customers position. So naturally the store looks like a tornado hit it, and dumbfuck seems shocked at that.

They promoted a new person to freight lead (my old position), and there's no way he's going to make it. The back room is hopelessly clogged and we have more trucks coming. Our comraderie is still great, which is probably the only thing keeping the doors open. Even then there's a palpable level of anger from everyone.

Corporate in their infinite wisdom also decided to reset literally the entire store. Food, domestic, HBC, chemicals, everything gets a rework. They usually do it once a year, but they're usually smart enough to do it in spring or summer, instead of Q3 when hours are always thin as it is. So because they're cutting associate hours, the managers are apparently expected to...

- Do all their usual mangement tasks, just running the loving store
- Reset the entire store (with no extra hours given to do it of course)
- Stock everything that the stock team didn't get done (which is always, because even Superman couldn't hit corporate's goals)
- Recover the entire store, because there's no hours for anyone else to do it

Oh and they're also drowning us in Christmas product already. See, last year our company utterly hosed the Christmas product, and we didn't really get jack or poo poo in until drat near late november. Apparently executives visited stores and were omg so apalled at the thin presentations. So in the usual tradition they overreacted, and pushed everything early. Except we didn't get enough product to do any single presentation. Idiot DM's solution? "Just put it wherever and move it later" This is the same plan he had for harvest/halloween which resulted in us setting the same poo poo THREE TIMES.

I'm so glad I got out of management when I did, it's no wonder my district has a massive exodus of managers. Idiot DM doesn't care though, when someone asked him on a conference call if there was a plan to stop the bleeding "We'll just hire more"

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Oh man, I love return fuckery. Most of the time anyway. My favorites have been:

- Tweaker brought in an HDMI cable. No package, no receipt, no nothing. Denied.
- Lady with a pee-stained mattress pad. I told her no way, SM took it back.
- Fireplace that doesn't match anything our store has ever sold. SM took it back, we used it in the break room until it died.
- 40lb bag of dog food filled with cobwebby stuff and moth larva. It was factory sealed. Took it back, prayed the customer didn't complain. He didn't.
- Large Fellow that went through 2 sofas. Clearly damaged from American Sized Weight. SM told him no more.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

We also just got notified by corporate that they're changing the dress code. Yet again. They've hosed with it every single year that I've worked for the company, but this time it's just hilariously poo poo.

We went from store branded t-shirts for associates and button-downs for management to different colors for associates and management, to button downs for everyone. So now what have they announced?

No branded shirts at all, they're not ordering them anymore. Once your official shirts turn to poo poo, you're directed to buy a plain black or plain orange t-shirt. One one hand, I understand it was probably a terrible idea to be giving embroidered-logo button downs to retail part-timers that aren't going to stick around. But on the other hand...This company has spent 5 years desperately trying to become a first-line retailer away from their discount roots (I'm sure you can guess what chain). Now they're shooting that plan in the dick.

You ever go to Dollar Tree, and all the workers all have a different shade and style of ratty-rear end green t-shirt? That's what we're going to, after the company spent a ton of money modernizing and remodeling stores. It's just idiotic because it's just a fact that in retail your staff sets the initial impression. If the impression is a bunch of people in mismatched poo poo, what does that say?

Anyway, I've already ordered the most eye-searingly bright safety orange shirt I could find off Amazon.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

My store is such a shitshow, and as a part-timer former manager it's hilarious. I just have to keep reminding myself I'm not responsible for any of this idiocy.

A couple months ago our company tried an experimental program. Instead of getting roughly half a truck every week, we'd get a full-rear end load every other week. Mathematically it makes sense! Of course they didn't bother to consider that a ton of our chain's locations are ancient 1980s era locations that were never intended to handle that kind of volume. Because I like my store manager and rear end Man I mentioned to them "You guys are really going to have to re-think the warehouse layout before that goes live, it won't work." I was in charge of truck unloads and stocking for 5 years with them, they know I know what I'm talking about. They agree it needs done.

Big-rear end truck day comes along, and lo and behold nobody bothered to get off their asses and rearrange the warehouse. We get about 3/4 of the way into the load and we literally run out of pallets and places to put anything. I just shrug and keep throwing the truck, managing not to point out that I told them so.

We still to this day haven't caught up. Our warehouse is a loving nightmare shitshow, the kid that they promoted into my old spot has absolutely poo poo the bed. He walks around chatting with his friends instead if doing his job, wandered off on break in the middle of an unload that it's his job to be responsible for. For whatever reason the SM and AM haven't dealt with any of it, so whatever. I just do my assigned poo poo, and if they can't figure things out it's not my problem.

We also sell furniture, and that's turned into an amazing corporate fuckup. So for those of you who don't know, there's essentially 2 American brands of furniture nowadays. Ashley and a company called United Furniture that sells poo poo that companies can re-label as a store brand or just sell. Anything tagged Lane? That's United. The big fancy Broyhill stuff at Big Lots? United. They supply Rent-a-Center, Menards, tons of other small shops. Well, United and Quality Control are two words that haven't lined up for a LONG time. We regularly get product that's cataclysmically hosed up. Legs that don't screw on sofas because United forgot to install the threaded inserts. No legs at all packed in a sofa. Ripped fabric, dirty "brand new" product, etc. Trying to get replacement parts is just as hosed, it regularly takes 6+ months for them to toss some sofa legs in a box and send them out. They claim to be "Manufactured in the USA", but every now and then their product arrives with cardboard padding that just happens to have the same name of the sofa and "Made in China".

The final straw was United trying to cut more corners and replacing the rocking elements on their recliners. Essentially a rocking recliner has 2 crescent-shaped pieces of wood beneath the mechanism that handle the rocking motion, United decided wood was too expensive and started shipping recliners with plastic rockers. lovely plastic rockers that tend to explode or slip when an Average Sized American sits on the chair. This was a massive issue, and United actually agreed to do a recall on the units. Our location alone had 21 plastic-rocker recliners to recall, and when United arrived they only took 10. So they ate a huge cost, and still didn't deal with the problem.

So just before Thanksgiving, United Furniture up and laid off their entire staff. Drivers were told to drop their next load and return to the warehouse. I read a news article that stated they "Lost a large client" which I strongly suspect was my company, since they were livid over the recliner issue.

Now during christmas rush, we're essentially having to tell customers they can't have any furniture. No, you can't have the floor display because corporate told us we can't sell displays. No, they didn't give us a reason, yes I agree it's idiotic. At my store where we'd regularly have 50 or so units of sofas in stock, we have about 10 and half of them are hosed up returns.

Pictured: Some of United Furniture's greatest hits, rest in piss

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I really wish college semester started a day later, so I could see how my stores inventory goes. I'll be officially quit by then though.

Our company has been trying to internalize a bunch of aspects recently, and it's gone hilariously bad. A while back they broke contract with the truck dispatch and scheduling company because they figured they could do it in house for cheaper. I imagine they also figured not hiring anyone with experience was cheaper, because the truck schedules were routinely hosed for 6+ months.

For example, ex-SM's husband's store had a truck flat out vanish off the earth for a week. They brought their unload crew in at the scheduled time, truck never showed up. No reschedule, they called the DC and the DC stated they had no way to locate the truck. Finally got rescheduled the next day, their crew shows up, truck is another no-show. Again the DC said they had no idea and didn't seem to give a poo poo that a whole-rear end semi of product vanished. Finally it turns up the next week at a completely random time, they asked the driver WTF, and he was confused saying "I just picked this up at the DC yesterday"

So they've decided this year to in-house inventory. Instead of going with RGIS or WIS or whoever, they're going to ship extra handhelds to inventory stores and borrow extra bodies to get it done. There's a few problems with this.

The handhelds are absolute garbage. They're modded ipods and you're lucky if you can even complete a 1000 SKU regular weekly count without it crashing or the battery dying. They also have some bug where the longer you're running a count, the slower it gets. I've seen it get up to like 30+ seconds lag between scanning something and being able to enter a count.

The borrowed people don't know your store. Where you might have had to merchandise extra poo poo, what's stashed in the warehouse etc.

We're not loving trained to inventory. Generally only management level even does counts at all, and judging by other stores on-hands, they're pretty lax with it. There's no way a bunch of low paid hourly workers are going to do a good count, and nowhere near the speed of an inventory crew.

It's going to be a hilarious shitshow.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

When I hired on at my store, they were slated to do a remodel. In late October. Everyone from the DM on down thought it was stupid as hell to try to remodel a discount store in Q4, but what our Corporate overlords decree...

They had a big hiring blitz to hire people on for 4 weeks of overnights. Originally 6 weeks, but 'They can do it in 4!'. Blows our daily ops to hell because the AssMan is stuck answering phone calls and interviewing people for 2 weeks leading up instead of doing his job.

The big week comes, everyone is set to start on a Friday. And Thursday night they tell us 'It's delayed until Monday'. So a crew of about 6 overnight new hires are put to work recovering the store for a couple days. And holy poo poo did they make everything gleam, I think the SM almost cried the next morning when she saw it.

The guy that leads the travelling remodel team gets into town and comes in 2 days early as planned. He promptly directs one of his underlings to gently caress up all the organized fixturing in my warehouse. Everyone is set to begin the overnights on Monday, yay let's do this. It's gonna suck balls, loving up my Tuesday AM truck unload, but we'll manage. We come in...And find out the NIGHT OF, they called the whole remodel off because someone finally realized doing it in Q4 is goddamn stupid.

So about a dozen hired on for overnights, and got told essentially on their 3rd day they weren't needed. Thankfully my SM is awesome and finagled hiring the best of them on directly. We're now fully staffed for the first time this place has been in 3+ years from what I've been told.

They rented a forklift and scissor lift for the remodel, it still sits in our side parking lot. I wonder what they paid for that, or if they could have gotten some money back returning it. They rented 2 shipping containers out back, they're still there. I wonder what they're paying for that.

Just a total clownshow.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Hey, want to see a picture that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up?

Remodel boss demanded a run of gondolas be moved forward 4 inches, because they hosed up their measurements the first time. Fucky old gondola bent legs the first time we moved it, and the remodel crew never fixed it then.

How do you save this situation when the broken legs are swing-in? Simple, you grab some ratchet straps off the shelf, tie the other side of the gondola to a steel rack full of paint buckets, crank that fucker vertically, then some poor bastard lays down there with a sawz-all and cuts the legs off. Then replaces them with lovely new latch-in legs.

The god of retail was watching over people that night.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Sibling of TB posted:

Did anyone ever save that poor guy?

He was the lucky guy that cut the broken legs off while the entire thing was held up by ratchet straps and prayers. The entire process could be used as "Gondola Train: How not to do it"

It was a month long remodel, and boy I tell you, I saw some poo poo. The plans derailed on night 3, and the remodel boss became increasingly unhinged.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

A while back I posted about the gondola almost-collapse during my store remodel. Well, it had picked up a pretty good lean over the month or so since it was fuckered, I had 20 minutes left so I grabbed the levelling wrench and went to straighten it out.

I fixed 3 sections, then jabbed the wrench under the next leg and "That's weird, it's not hitting the foot..." I popped off the kick plate to have a look, fully expecting they had not even bothered to screw down the foot to touch the floor. What I found was even weirder.

Huh. That's definately not supposed to be under there anymore. It turns out when they 'fixed' the gondola, they just left 2 train skates in. I sent a picture to the SM, who sent it to the DM, and poo poo is Going Down. DM is coming next Tuesday along with Regional, I've already volunteered to tell them all the sketchy poo poo I saw during the remodel.

We heard down the grapevine that the remodel lead blamed all of her fuckups on her two assistants, and got one of them fired. I'm looking forward to telling the RM the truth behind that one, I'm part time I don't give a gently caress.

I don't even know how you would get a gondola skate back out from there, since the train kit got shipped on to the next location so we don't have the Big loving Crowbar at our location anymore.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does the remodel team work for your company too or were they another company?

A company travelling team that gets touted as the Elite. The remodel boss would regularly brag about being able to merchandise an entire department herself, then struggle to do one aisle a night.

SM sent along the pictures of the wheels under the gondola. They made the remodel boss drive 12 hours to get them and fix a table which takes laid down flat rugs where they left out a brace and it almost collapsed. She got the wheels out, levelled the one gondola run, claimed she levelled the others (She did not), moved some rugs and probably got tired and said "Here's the part, it's an easy fix. You guys can do it." Apparently the SM went nuclear on the DM who claimed she couldn't pass it along because "You signed off on it, you should have caught these issues."

The remodel boss was hanging around bragging about getting BOTH of her assistants fired because of our build. Then was telling our cashier "They paired me up with two new guys, I got rid of them too because they didn't know anything." Gleeful about it, she's a loving snake and pretty representative of the upper management at my company from what I've seen.

Yes, I have applications in elsehwere, why do you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Unfortunately our regional manager visit wasn't very amusing after our botched remodel. He cancelled then came in a different date and I wasn't even there to spill the dirt. Oh well.

We had truck this morning, and when we went out to get the paperwork and cut the seal the trucker said "Oh yeah, this trailer got broken in to when I was at a truck stop." Store manager spent an hour and a half just trying to get ahold at corporate to report it and find out what to do. She finally got put in touch with the lead of transportation at our company, and even they didn't know what to do. They finally told us to unload and audit the load since it was clear things were knocked over and dug through.

gently caress them, we just checked in the first 20 feet or so and the high value product. Ended up short like 13 cases of Tide, and 3 air conditioner units. SM was like "gently caress this, they don't pay ANY of us enough to inventory a whole trailer"