Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
   /
:backtowork:
Just had an older "gentleman" come into my store yesterday and rant for about 10 minutes straight about how service at Target has steadily declined over the years. Most of what he said was just ramblings about how we wouldn't sell him a display unit (which we never sell to ANYONE at our store at least) and how we now have a "dime store" mentality. Oh, and Wal-Mart was founded in World War 2 by Nazi Germany apparently as well.

I almost think the guy had something wrong with him, his wife was trying to drag him out the door the entire time. On the bright side, while he was babbling on, one of my regulars came up and said "Isn't he just the best?!?" and gave me a bit of a hug. THAT type of customer is the kind that makes me want to get up in the morning :)

watchdog fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
This was probably already mentioned in the previous retail thread, but it bears repeating. If you are shopping some place that has a conveyor belt for your items, for the LOVE OF GOD don't put your cash/change/gift card/credit card on the belt when you are ready to pay. I can't count how many times I've been supervising the lanes when some "guest" freaks out after their $20 gift card got sucked down into the abyss. Seriously, is it that hard to hand the payment to the cashier?

Yes, there is a little pull out tray below the end of the belt, but more times than not when this incident happens, there's nothing but dust and a couple of quarters in the tray.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
Well not a hitch at our store on Black Friday. The closest we had to a problem was at 4am, about 100 people came running out of their cars and tried to break line into the store, but that was quashed pretty quickly by security :)

We made it through BF goons!!!

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
Why do people think that their cart is a trash can after they are done taking their merchandise out to their cars? I find starbucks, half-eaten food, soiled baby diapers and countless other crap in the carts all the time outside.

I wouldn't mind it so much, except for the fact that if you're shoving the carts together into a row and not looking out for this garbage, you'll get a facefull of coffee as it goes flying out of the "kid seat".

watchdog fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 17, 2011

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
So it's generally not a good idea to call me a "flunky trainer" (it says trainer on my namebadge), rear end in a top hat or jerk if you REALLY want me to accept that 10% coupon that expired back in December of last year. Funny how I didn't get yelled at a single bit during the holidays, and I get this joker today.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
So we recently had an opening for a GSTL (front end supervisor) at our store. I immediately applied as I've been doing the lower paid equivalent for almost 3 years now (GSA - Guest Service Attendant). To be fair, the GSTL position is more involved, as you have to coach (write up) team members (employees) whenever they screw up. As far as differences go, that's about it.

I had 3 interviews and had a followup yesterday. I was told that "We know you can do the job and you do it well! But we went with another candidate" Yeah...

Part of the problem could be that the GSA position is hard to fill, as nobody wants it. We recently had a GSA position open up and we had all of ONE applicant for it. I guess it's easier to have me stuck there than have to fill my old position.

watchdog fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 30, 2011

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

Niwrad posted:

I hate people like this so bad. In fact, anytime I hear someone do this to someone in retail, I'll say something to the person. I wish more people would let others know it's unacceptable to act that way toward another person in public. My favorite was at a deli where some lady who was on her cell phone the whole time laid into this girl about her order taking too long. Said something similar like "I can see why you can't find a better job". After I got my order she was sitting down eating with her friend and I called her a miserable oval office. She looked at me with this shocked look and I said "let me guess, husband doesn't find you attractive anymore and you're taking it out on that younger girl". Said it loud enough so everyone could hear and embarass her.

You sir, are my hero. 99.9% of people don't ever want to get involved, but when a customer like you comes along you are HUGELY appreciated.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

foobyfooby posted:

I got the wait-a-minute finger all the time. When people came up to me with a phone, I'd walk away and do something else, and keep an eye on them til they hung up, then service with a smile. If they complained, I'd say I didn't want to interrupt their conversation, that'd be rude! I never had a customer who had anything to say after that.
I also work returns at Target, and I absolutely LOVE it when they bring in their bag of loving clothes that they didn't try on, talk on their phone throughout the entire transaction, and apologize to the person on the phone with "Oh I'm doing a return". Get off your god drat phone you loving vapid oval office.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
Earlier today got a call from electronics over the walkie:

"GSTL, we have a coupon back here for 399.99 off an ipad, are we able to accept this?"

Sure that I had misheard, I asked him to repeat himself. After verifying that yes indeed that it was a $400 coupon, I headed back there to investigate.

There were two very nervous looking teenagers trying to purchase a 16 gb iPad with a full page printed coupon for, yes indeed, $399.99 off! I asked them where they got it and one of them managed to stammer out, "I won it in a Call of Duty tournament"

"Yeah I really stink at those games," I said to him as I tried to scan the coupon (for shits and giggles). When scanning it, it said something along the lines of coupon amount may need to be adjusted. At this point I just called the store manager and let her deal with it. She confiscated the coupon of course and both of the teens left the store.

Sad thing is a few months ago people were bringing in "INSTANT XBOX360 RROD REPLACEMENT" coupons and at least one store actually accepted it.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

Fury1671 posted:

The Target website went down a few times on Monday due to MISSONI MACDNESS. I guess I just have bad taste cause goddamn is that poo poo ugly.
So you don't think looking like Charlie Brown in the epitome of fashion?

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

Angry Guacamole posted:

Heaven save me, I'll likely be joining you all soon enough, if being a barista counts. Any recommendations on what I should/shouldn't do, things that will help me acclimate better, that sort of thing?

vvvI'm well-medicated, the likelihood of me doing that is well within the acceptable 20%.vvv

Be prepared for people to make up names for drinks instead of calling it what it is on the menu board or what you've been told it's called by your trainer, and then get pissy that you have no idea what they are talking about.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

Medullah posted:

Well my former retail brethren at Best Buy, I feel your pain...looks like they finally caved in and are opening at freaking midnight on Black Friday.

Good lord, last year I had to work until 3am on Thursday morning then had to be back in at 3am for our 5am open...midnight is ridiculous.

Maybe Best Buy's decision to open at midnight is why Target has ALSO decided to open at midnight on Black Friday. Bad thing is, we don't have nearly enough staff coverage opening that early. It's going to be interesting to say the least.

edit: after reading the loving article, nope we decided to do it before Best Buy, you suck Target!

and from the article:
this year Target is testing a Thanksgiving Day opening - but only at its 29 Denver-area stores. Target says it will "evaluate the Denver test before making decisions about whether to expand Thanksgiving hours to other markets in the future."

watchdog fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 5, 2011

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

Agatha Crispies posted:

Retail sales goon checking in. So who here knows their shifts for Black Friday yet?

I work 3AM to 3PM! :suicide:

I am not allowed to bitch about Black Friday any this year, as I am working 1:30pm to midnight. I will basically be playing cleanup all day since we open at Midnight and by the time I get there, we will be sold out of EVERYTHING.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
Things were such a clusterfuck today.

We had a callout at food avenue (idiot kid punched a wall at work because he was pissed at his girlfriend, now his hand is all wrapped up). After calling a few people who were actually trained at food avenue, and them all saying no to coming in for a shift, the GSTL (Guest Service Team Leader) had the bright idea to put the cart attendant behind the counter.

The cart attendant got a 15 minute crash course on how to work/close food avenue and the opener left. Keep in mind most people get at least 2 or 3 days closing with another food avenue team member just to make sure they learn all the ins and outs.

At this point the other GSTL gets the idea to call in someone to finish up the cart attendant's shift. She goes to the Store Team Lead and is told flat out no, we are not calling anyone in. "We don't have the payroll for it." I still don't get the logic behind this. We are down one man, we can't call in another for the exact amount of time?

Both GSTL's tell me good luck and hit the door. At this point I start planning breaks for my cashiers and what I see just baffles me.

We have 3 cashier's until 6:30pm...
2 until 7pm...
and 1 until 10pm

and we close at 11pm tonight.

I call the Leader on Duty over the walkie, have her switch to 3 (the channel we use to avoid blaring our conversations over every walkie in the store).

watchdog: Since you guys aren't calling anyone in, what's our plan for carts?
LOD: Oh you'll need to get those
watchdog: Then who will be watching the lanes?
LOD: Have the Guest Service desk team member watch them!

As you all know, this is 4th quarter. We are busy as gently caress. Everyone in their dog is returning christmas lights because they bought too many, toys because they spent too much, etc.. We have one person scheduled over at the Guest Service desk who is now being asked to do her duties and mine because I'm going outside to get the bloody carts.

I will say one thing, the night went by super fast. The cart attendant food avenue guy did an awesome job winging it, having never even worked in any sort of food service ever. The Guest Service team member was rightly pissed when I was away most of the night, because the LOD was refusing to offer her any assistance when she needed it (at one point a guest specifically asked to speak to an LOD, and she wouldn't come up because they were having their stupid rear end huddle). From 7 on it was hectic on the lanes, the last cashier THANKFULLY agreed to stay an extra hour. At this point the Store Team Lead was long gone so we didn't have to get her payroll approval for this one :)

I doubt anyone will read this entire wall of text, but long story short Target sucks (or at least my store does).

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

Rick_Hunter posted:

Then the poo poo hit the fan - the 3rd person at 7a No-Called, No-Showed. Then the person at 7:30a No-Called, No-Showed. So we had to call the 9am guy to come in early.

I'll never understand why people just don't bother showing up for shifts. It takes 10 seconds to pick up a phone and call and say "I'm sick!" whether you are or not. If you really don't care, then just quit the job already, let someone else who wants a paycheck take it over.

On that note, we had a girl at Starbucks call out for the evening, after trying unsuccessfully to get everyone who was Starbuck's trained to cover her shift all last week. She practically blamed it on all the other team member's, because "they always help out each other, but won't cover my shift!". This is the second time she's done this, last time it was due to her having a job interview elsewhere (sadly she didn't get the position). Thankfully she's seasonal and has not had her 90 day review yet, so she's out the door.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
So one of the priorities of working at Target is getting your guest to sign up for Red Cards (debit or credit cards). To motivate people we generally have a drawing for a prize or whatever.

Yesterday morning we weren't giving away anything at first. The store team lead got a little concerned at about 2pm since we only had 2 RC's, so she offered up a free starbucks to whoever got the next one (we have a starbucks in store so it probably costs the company about a buck to make the largest one we sell). As of 4:30 yesterday afternoon this was the only thing that was offered (other than thinly veiled threats of you NEED to get a red card!)

Wake up this morning to a coworkers facebook post:
"I won 3 Xmas presents at work tonight, although strongly considering keepin the iPod shuffle"

An iPod shuffle? Seriously??

Granted I was working returns/photo lab all day, so the chances of me getting a red card anyways was slim to none. But still, how about a little normality with your prizes, instead of screwing over everyone who worked on the morning shift.

watchdog fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 17, 2011

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

Angry Guacamole posted:

I had one of those myself, recently. Dropped a cup full of syrup and mocha. Landed flat on the bottom without tipping. I looked like I got the business end of a mocha-filled claymore's blast.

A few years ago we had a barista who was REALLY nice, but not terribly bright. On more than 3 occasions she screwed off the top on the whipped cream while it still had pressure and got COMPLETELY covered by it.

Not quite as bad as the end of Ghostbuster's messy, but pretty close anyways ;)

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
My heart goes out to anyone having to work at Toys 'R' Us this year. Apparently they are open 24/7 until Christmas Day...

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

silversiren posted:

Not even halfway through the day and we are already out of carts and plastic bags!

Our cart attendant filled our inside bay with 4 rows of carts and went on his 30 minute lunch. Not 20 minutes later we had absolutely not a single cart in the bay. The team leads had to go out and get carts (bless their soul).

As for the bag situation, what the heck can you even do for the rest of the day? We've run low on bags before but never completely out thank god...

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

Dead Pikachu posted:

Oh god, some dude just came in and paid off every single layaway. Like, every single one in the store.

It amounted to about $6000. I don't even know what to say. Hope it gets on the news.

This literally made my day.

Just finished a 1:30-10pm shift at Target. People would not leave the loving store. At 9:00 the lights went out and some teenager starting walking very quickly away from the team members trying to get her to leave. She went ALL the way back to electronics, and made a huge loop back to the front of the store. Didn't buy a drat thing, but we finally ran her out.

This is the first 4th quarter where hardly anyone has screamed at me, frankly I'm amazed. I probably just jinxed myself and come Monday people are gonna rip into me about the Christmas clearance :)

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Like poo poo dude, learn to communicate, I'm not a loving mind reader.

Guy walks up to me last night, I ask him if he needed any help. "I'm looking for "birthday"...ya know?

Excuse me?

Do you guys have...."birthday", ya know..."birthday!"

At that point my brain sort of broke and my supervisor walked up beside me. He saw the look of mass confusion on my face and tried to help. I don't remember what he said to the customer, but a few words later he figures out the guy wants a lockbox.

Apparently if you work retail long enough you DO become a loving mind reader :)

Merry Christmas guys!

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
Whelp, I've been in some sort of retail nearly all of my working life, and something exciting has happened that has never happened before.

Last night one of my friends from work told me that the seasonal cart attendant said that he wanted to "follow me home and beat my rear end". He left work 4 hours early one night (almost 2 weeks ago), which I was a bit upset over, and that REALLY pissed him off apparently, because he told my friend this 3 days ago.

This cart attendant is probably about to be let go due to being seasonal. I just hope they handle it in a way where he doesn't think it was due to anything I did. I really REALLY need to get out of this place...

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

watchdog posted:

Whelp, I've been in some sort of retail nearly all of my working life, and something exciting has happened that has never happened before.

Last night one of my friends from work told me that the seasonal cart attendant said that he wanted to "follow me home and beat my rear end". He left work 4 hours early one night (almost 2 weeks ago), which I was a bit upset over, and that REALLY pissed him off apparently, because he told my friend this 3 days ago.

This cart attendant is probably about to be let go due to being seasonal. I just hope they handle it in a way where he doesn't think it was due to anything I did. I really REALLY need to get out of this place...

Update to this:

Contacted my store team lead about this situation. Asked her to let leadership know of the situation.

She wants to bring in the cart attendant and tell him that workplace threats are not tolerated...and THEN tell him he is going to be termed at the beginning of the year.

Yeah I won't feel any repercussions from that! She assured me that she would tell him that the two are not connected in any way, but hell, would YOU believe it if you were in his situation?

Oh and I am scheduled to close along with the offending cart attendant!

I asked her to reconsider and she is meeting with the other leadership to come to a decision. She is going to call back, but if I can't talk her out of it I will not be going in tonight...

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /
Last interview for GSTL on Monday, then I do an assessment for a CSR position at Verizon thursday. Wish me luck guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
   /

slow dive posted:

Not good customer GUEST service, indeed. Perhaps if you'd let people finish their sentences you would be served a little better in the future, bitch.

Fixed that for ya Target buddy! Oh and if you need another place to vent about spot and all that, I highly recommend doing a google search for the break room. Just don't post your personal info on there because Corp knows about it.