Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Yesterday my GF had a customer angry that she wouldn't accept a return, even though she had the receipt. The 90 day return policy was, surprisingly, still clearly visible on the receipt and had not faded in the 2 years since it was printed.

From what I hear about, it's not the rare nutty customer that makes life difficult though; it's the ample supply of worthless coworkers.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

pastor of muppets posted:

What the gently caress are you doing buying $1200 worth of business suits and blouses if you're a loving stay-at-home mom? Everything was balled-up in the bag and warm like it had been sitting in her car since she bought them because she didn't want her husband to know.

People doing things like that are probably acting under some obsession/compulsion or emotional escape. With big numbers like that, I'll guess that a large part of it was trying to distract herself from guilt over shopping.

Less absurd examples are probably just people with no money management or poor impulse control. Of course, I'm sure there are thousands of stranger reasons people buy poo poo and immediately return it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

side_burned posted:

I really have started wonder what kind of research goes in to making in-store policy and procedure at corporate offices. I feel like someone from Mars comes up with this stuff. And as Duck King points out they make transactions tedious and in some cases down rite hostile for the customers and clerks alike. But of course if a customers gets mad it will be clerks fault.

My guess is that it comes down to two main factors. One is not the research itself, but rather how it used - most of these corporate-y people don't have a scientific background, and as such they've never learned how to properly read research papers; it doesn't matter how good the research is if you don't correctly understand what it does and does not mean. The other factor is the accumulation of decisions and strategic initiatives and the like across groups. Finance says that credit cards are the only reason the company isn't bankrupt, and Marketing wants to improve customer retention by pushing a rewards program, and Public Relations says raising donations to the Boys and Girls club will distract from the 3rd world child laborers. Each decision on it's own wasn't bad but combined every checkout is a 20 minute interrogation.

I've never working a retail corporate office though, so it's just a guess.

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

Here I am a few days later and I still don't know how I have my job. :confused:

They don't pay nearly enough to fill their positions exclusively with people who don't snap at customers from time to time.