Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
How do people steal games so easily? At Wal-Mart/Target/etc. aren't they usually locked down behind those glass doors? Don't they have security at these places? I mean I guess I can understand theft that happens occasionally not being caught, but day after day, week after week of the same thing? Inside job, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nice. Kinda sucks though that in order to get better working conditions for the place, you had to sacrifice your own employment.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, the work interns perform is not allowed to significantly help the business. Google any HR blog or resource and they'll say the same thing.
This is like the dumbest rule though. First, nobody follows it, and everyone knows nobody follows it; why would a business hire an intern if they weren't going to help the business? Second, how can a student learn things that are useful, except by doing things that help the business? Is learning things that aren't useful to the business what students are aiming for? Of course not, they want marketable skills.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That's an interesting and eye-catching resume design. I like that it feels modern but without excessive flash or trying-too-hard syndrome. I may steal it in the future if that's ok.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Busting fake credit cards was the single best thing about working in high end electronics sales.

They always tried to buy the same thing too.
How does using fake credit cards work? If they're fake, wouldn't the credit card scanner just reject them?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Halisnacks posted:

What makes swiping and entering your PIN before bagging groceries more convenient than doing so after?
It's faster because then the scanning/bagging and swiping/entering are happening concurrently instead of sequentially.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

Surely a shopping cart is worth more than a quarter for salvage, though.
The idea probably isn't to deter theft, but rather lazy people who are just gonna leave the carts lying around wherever.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

uptown posted:

From a management point of view, though, leaving on an unscheduled and paid break can be classified as job abandonment as well as fraud, which can be ground for immediate dismissal. However, Crazy Teresa definitely should have been fired as soon as she caused a customer to cower and cry in the fitting rooms - I, for one, would definitely be seeking legal counsel if an employee of a store did that to me.
Obviously what Teresa did was really messed up, but what would you seek legal counsel for? "This person insulted me and made me feel bad."?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

redheadgeek posted:

Full-blown crazy
How did she not get fired her first week? :psyduck:

quote:

If there's still a lick of interest, I'll tell about her adventures trying to get promoted.
Please do.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

I finally got a better job! It's not an amazing job, but it pays 3 times as much and is in an office environment. So today I turned in my 2 weeks notice and after that I start training at the new job. :)
Grats. Looks like your avatar is way ahead of you. :)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Luquos posted:

They actually have more options than even is on the secret menu, like asking how you want your fries to be done. Someone did a report where the ordered every possible combination, the cashier loved doing it, so job quality must be very good.
In-n-Out pays more, so they can hire better employees (they seem to hire bright-eyed middle-class high school and college kids), which improves the work environment and service quality, which justifies the higher pay.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Oh come on, you're being pedantic. Apple charges much more for a comparable PC or MP3 player.

Case in point, the monitor I'm currently using (and have been for 6 years now) was $340. It's a Dell branded display with DVI, VGA, component, and s-video. At the time, the exact same monitor in an Apple enclosure was $799. I mean the exact same monitor, made side-by-side in the same factory. I guess maybe people just think a white, shiny case makes something worth twice as much but not me.
Some of their products are pretty hilariously overpriced, yeah, but the headline-grabbing ones these days (iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air) are actually quite reasonable.

I've noticed that most of the Apple-hating tech geeks are hung up on listing off feature sets to determine superiority rather than considering the overall design and big picture. Which makes sense for them, since that's what they care about, but the average consumer doesn't care whether their device can play .ogg or can be easily rooted.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 10, 2011

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

It fascinates me that there seems to be a cultural difference that causes american shoppers to be inherently ruder towards retail staff: we get a few americans in my store, both tourists and people who have moved over here, and I can honestly say that american customers in australia form almost a stereotype: they always seem to be the most incredibly polite people that pass through my checkout (with one exception).
The really backwards Americans rarely leave their county, let alone the country.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

That's why I just use my debit card at the pump. Then I don't even need to go inside.
Yeah, I had no idea that anyone without a bank account still went inside to pay for gas. At Costco they don't even have an 'inside' to go to. Just seems kind of backwards, like still going into a bank branch for small cash withdrawals instead of using an ATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Australia is just a bit of a backwater when it comes to that sort of thing I guess. Either that or we have much less fuel theft. Hell 20 years ago you would have expected someone to fill your tank for you when you went to a petrol station.
We still have this here...in Oregon. It's against the law to fill up your tank yourself there. I always seem to forget that when I'm driving through though and awkwardness ensues.