Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
God loving drat I hate online retail employment applications, nevermind that I hate the fact that I need a retail job to make any money with my useless degree. I just spent half an hour dealing with this one site. Once I finished the 90-loving-question "assessment" it kicked me back to the main page and said that I hadn't completed the assessment. And the questions are the most degrading poo poo imaginable.

47: Your supervisor has suggested that he wishes to take a poo poo in your mouth. How do you feel about this?

A. I would rather maintain my dignity than keep working here! I will quit and seek employment elsewhere (this answer will immediately disqualify you from employment).

B. I would suggest that another associate has a much prettier mouth, and would receive his poo poo better than mine (this answer will immediately disqualify you from employment).

C. I would love for my supervisor to poo poo in my mouth, and would receive it with pride! I might even get a boner (this is the correct response)!

But as of now there are at least ten retail outlets that believe I'm some sort of retail Jesus, walking down the isles in my shimmering uniform polo shirt and making the sin of customer dissatisfaction vanish as though it never was. And should a customer want to nail me to a cross, my one reply will be a smile and my heartfelt thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

AlmightyBob posted:

Almost quit my job today. The dipshit that was suspended for needing to be called and woken up 5 fridays in a row just got moved to seafood which means he will now be making almost twice as much as me, with better hours and an easier job. I have never once been late AND have almost 4 years seniority over him.

Is he related to someone high up in the company? I had a summer job in a lovely warehouse that had been all but abandoned for years putting cardboard displays together for minimum wage. One of the guys working with me was the company president's grandson--and he was an absolutely legendary fuckup. We had betting pools to decide how late he would be every day. Eventually our supervisor offered him five dollars a day to show up to work on time. He dressed like a gangster despite being a scrawny little white guy, ran out of gas in a McDonald's drive-through one day during lunch, was extremely weak and couldn't do half the poo poo anyone else could, and was notorious for getting caught by his mom after falling asleep while jerking off in front of his computer. Even his girlfriend made fun of him for being a lovely lay.

He got paid for all of the hours he was supposed to work, and made at least $9.00 per hour--which was substantially above minimum wage at the time.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

GeneralNelson posted:

I live and work in Australia (Sydneysider) too, though for about $20 an hour... and I've just been absolutely taken-aback reading this thread by how many people are actually living on like $8 US an hour. I figured Australia was a bit more expensive... but is it really that much more? Even when the Aussie dollar was at its lowest it would still only have been an equivalent of $16AU, and usually more like $12.

I'm only 19 as well.

e:
Oh wait a second, I just remember how much cheaper real estate was in the US. One can probably ignore this.

Nah, there are gigantic slums and trailer parks were America's poor live--mostly the people eternally stuck in retail. I'm 23 and still living with my parents because I can't find a job that would even come remotely close to paying me enough to move out, and I've got a degree. $20 an hour is some Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous poo poo.

America runs on the broken bodies of the world's poor and destitute. Never forget that. :)

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Walked into a department store today. It's November the loving 9th, and one of the fifteen billion swing-band renditions of Winter Wonderland was playing over the PA.

You retail guys have nothing but my deepest sympathy.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Natalya Fartz posted:

For us Target people, its time for the BEST TEAM SURVEY. Once again I get to say that I'm going to leave in 6 months and that I am very unsatisfied working for them. And then I am given no option for 'All of the above' when selecting from a bulleted list of choices. I did get a decent raise this year, so I'm still making what people are getting hired at! :suicide:

Goddamn, I loved those surveys. I spent a summer at Wal-mart and returned to them four or five pages of pure "gently caress YOU" in multiple choice form.