Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pingiivi posted:

So why in the fuckingshitfuckbitch you don't have your drivers license with you? It's exactly the same size as your credit card (unless it's the older one, but he should've had it on it anyways).

I never understood this. We used to have assholes come in to Gamestop all the time to trade things in for cash, give us a hard time when we were firm about needing a official picture ID to conduct the trade, and then they would proceed to run outside and drive away like a total rear end in a top hat.

Why god? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

As for why the guy fled from Boondock Saint's shop, he might have been trying to use you as an unwitting fence.

Oh I realized that the moment it happened. My issue is, why tell me you don't have a license or ID, yet I can clearly see that you drove here. It's just retarded logic on the customers part, that's all.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nocheez posted:

You don't have to own a car or a license to drive one.

Yes, because clearly I was indicating that it's impossible to drive a car without a license.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Cheezymadman posted:

Sounds to me like that's exactly what you implied.

Ok since you're both five years old, I'll break it down for you.

To legally drive a car on public roads in the United States, one needs a valid drivers license in order to do so.

Driving without one on your person is illegal in most states, including the state where my anecdote took place. I hope this clears everything up.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Cheezymadman posted:

Not having your license on you and not having a license are totally different things.

At least here, if you're pulled over and you don't have it on hand, you don't get arrested for driving without a license. In fact, you get a whole day to produce one.

How often do you drive without your license? Most people I know, even in states where this is not an issue and you have a day to produce it, do not leave it at home all the time. If this happened once, maybe twice, I'd say you have a point.

This was a common everyfuckingday occurrence, because more often than not, the customer in question was trying to fence stolen goods and did not want to have their name associated with the trade in. They would also try to get away with not handing over their license by saying they didn't have it and whining about the policy. As soon as we said sorry, no trade, the license magically appeared seconds later.

You done derailing the thread now? Jesus...

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

God loving drat I hate online retail employment applications, nevermind that I hate the fact that I need a retail job to make any money with my useless degree. I just spent half an hour dealing with this one site. Once I finished the 90-loving-question "assessment" it kicked me back to the main page and said that I hadn't completed the assessment. And the questions are the most degrading poo poo imaginable.

47: Your supervisor has suggested that he wishes to take a poo poo in your mouth. How do you feel about this?

A. I would rather maintain my dignity than keep working here! I will quit and seek employment elsewhere (this answer will immediately disqualify you from employment).

B. I would suggest that another associate has a much prettier mouth, and would receive his poo poo better than mine (this answer will immediately disqualify you from employment).

C. I would love for my supervisor to poo poo in my mouth, and would receive it with pride! I might even get a boner (this is the correct response)!

But as of now there are at least ten retail outlets that believe I'm some sort of retail Jesus, walking down the isles in my shimmering uniform polo shirt and making the sin of customer dissatisfaction vanish as though it never was. And should a customer want to nail me to a cross, my one reply will be a smile and my heartfelt thanks.

Oh man I hate that poo poo. Even worse is the on-boarding training some places make you go through. I just took a part time retail job while I wait to find a full time job and I had to go through the computer training today. Christ, I had to watch a forty loving five minute video on how to properly make a sandwhich and then take a test on it afterwards. I've worked in retail for 6 years and this poo poo takes the cake.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I started working part time in a deli at Safeway today while I look for a full time job.

On the first loving day, I got bitched about because I had a secret shopper, and although I got everything else done correctly(greeting, suggestive selling, thanking them), I didn't "engage" or converse with the customer.

What does this entail? I have to loving start talking about whatever product they are buying or start a conversation, for example "Oh this ham is great, I like to eat it all the time." I'm sorry, but that kind of poo poo has always seemed canned and retarded to me, and I refused to loving force that on anyone unless its a naturally occurring conversation.

I'm seriously considering going in tomorrow and quitting on the spot, I really do not feel like sweating this kind of bullshit for minimum wage. gently caress this economy.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 23, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

FISHMANPET posted:

And I'm the kind of guy who just wants you to shut the gently caress up and slice my ham, so I actually get pretty pissed when people with whom I have no personal relationship pretend that we're friends.

My feelings exactly. Everyone I've mentioned this to has suggested quitting.

Seriously between that and the assistant manager walking over and pointing at me like I wasn't there and bitching to the dept. manager about it, I'm not dealing with this poo poo at all for min. wage. I've worked retail for six years, I can loose a little bit of my humility if needed, but gently caress that.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 24, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

BetaTested posted:

But over all I really just don't let the little stupid poo poo bother me too much any more. Working retail for over 5 years will do that to you. I'll have my degree in another year and say hello to my cubicle.
While the five years part is true, the degree part, eh not so much, but perhaps you'll get lucky and the economy will be in recovery by the time you graduate.

I just graduated this past spring with a double major, had an awesome internship, managed to gain a lot more practical work experience than many of my peers yet somehow, that office job is still illusive. I've gotten close to getting a few though, so I'm hopeful.

Working retail part time for now while I look for something is much more bearable than my 40+ hour work weeks at Gamestop ever were, but this economy is seriously killing me with the lack of office/degree jobs.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

BetaTested posted:

Yeah, I'm majoring in Accounting, and while there are a lot of people hiring accountants, it might be tough for a while to find a place to get a couple years experiance. Most positions I see are looking for someone who is a CPA and has 2+ years of practical experiance. And of course I can't really get an internship because I have to keep a steady job or not have a roof over my head.

Retail is a lot easier on you once you make it to management(Even though I'm still doing every thing I did as an associate, plus all the new stuff, at least I write my own schedule, get a salary, and paid time off). Or just stop being soooo super concerned about every little thing as if it were your own home. I'm not saying stop caring all together, but you have to strike that happy medium where your performance doesn't drop and you can keep your sanity.

I would recommend not completely writing off the possibility of an internship, I've was in the same position as you last year and I'm glad I went through with mine. Lots of non-profits and state and local agencies love getting unpaid interns for even just a few hours a week. Think to yourself, if you can even give them 10-15 hours a week, while it may suck in the short run, it pays off dividends in the long run. You can mark it as practical experience on your resume and you never know who you will work with or meet during the course of your internship can help you out later on when you're searching for a career.

As far as being in management in retail, I'd have to say that's probably dependent on where you work. Gamestop(yes I know) was horrible to pretty much anyone store manager down. Sure the SM's got salary and paid time off, but in exchange, they also had to deal with copious amounts of bullshit I'm sure you would not have to deal with at other retail jobs.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So I just took a part time Geek Squad job at Best Buy while I continue my full time job hunt. It's not something I want to do for long, and I hope to god I'm out of there well before Thanksgiving, but I need to pay my bills somehow.

On the surface, it appears much better than the one day of dealing with Safeway's bullshit and my 2 year managerial stint at Gamestop. So far, it looks like more of the same that I dealt with at Gamestop but with me earning more money than I made as a manager and less whining about reserves and more focus towards selling warranty's and installations, which I had a much easy time selling at Gamestop.

Any other goons work for Geek Squad/Best Buy have any advice or knowledge I should know?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Normalman posted:

My Gamestop has been a fence for drug addicts and scumbags to sell games they've stolen to get money for a long, long time, and it makes me sick. The corporate policy until recently was that as long as it's not shrink-wrapped, and unless they actually tell you that the stuff is stolen, we have to give them all the money they want. Last year, one particular woman was trading in three or four of those Wii Remotes with the Motion Plus included every couple of days. We eventually had a trash bag stuffed with thirty or so of the drat things.

I'm not sure what the local Wal-Mart and Toys 'R Us are up to, but these people are practically walking out of those stores with wheelbarrows full of games. Since their plan was working, the thieves wound up with a large group of twenty or so people, doing this all the time, every day. After giving these assholes money so many times, my conscience was killing me. Eventually, we managed to complain to corporate enough to be allowed to refuse stuff that's incredibly suspicious.

Once someone's traded in something really shady, (Frictionless slick box, perfect disc, game just came out, excess of four or five games that still cost $60, etc. etc.), we'll write down their name and never take anything from them ever again. If it's someone we've never taken before, I've gotta give it to them once, to give them the benefit of doubt, but when you're trading in three or four games that came out this week, for a forth of what they cost, it's pretty obvious.

:saddowns: : "Trading in Halo Reach, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, and Madden 2011 already? Those haven't been out very long!"
:) : "YEAH, WELL I GOT 'EM FOR MY KIDS AND THEY JUS' DON'T PLAY 'EM NO MORE!"
:saddowns: : "You're only getting $65 for these three. Are you sure?"
:) : "I GOTTA GET GAS TO GO HOME! THEY DON'T PLAY 'EM NO MORE!"

:) : "'ey man, I need money for these." *plops down nine Wii 4GB SD cards*
:saddowns: : "Why do you have so many?"
:) : "I DON'T NEED 'EM, ALRIGHT?!?"

To steal games from Wal-Mart, the security device must be taken out. Their standard technique for this is to smash the top of the box. Once we stopped accepting any games with the top smashed, they just started trading in games with NO box. The day before yesterday, a scummy looking guy and his friend both traded in a copy of the newest Madden and Halo each, with no boxes. When asked where the box was, I got a "Fuckin' dog ate up all my boxes, man!". I took them in because the guys weren't on the list yet, but I put them on there.

Yesterday, they come in again, and one of them puts down THREE copies of Halo Reach and two copies of Madden, no boxes. I couldn't believe it.

:saddowns: : "You've gotta be kidding me"
:) : "Hey man, I need money for these"
:saddowns: : "There is no way I can take these."
:) : "Huh? Why not? What the hell, man?"
:saddowns: : "You guys were in here yesterday and traded in a bunch of these."
:) : "YEAH? SO WHAT?!? SO FUCKIN' WHAT? HUH?"

I asked them to leave, which they did, but only after knocking my standees over and calling me a bitch.

I'm so damned tired of these people. It didn't used to be this bad. I used to really enjoy my job, and I love helping people, but these assholes are making me a paranoid wreck. I'm starting to hate coming to work. I've started second-guessing myself whenever anyone trades something in for cash now. I realize I probably shouldn't care about any of this, but the fact that I'm indirectly helping these assholes make a living out of stealing stuff makes me want to throw up.

Also, stop spinning my spinning gift-card rack so fast, you damned kids!

Hahahaha, holy poo poo this describes my old store to a T.

I think the one difference was my store manager was a guy in his mid 50's who had been in retail for ages and he just didn't put up with any bullshit or obvious shady stuff. We basically got the go ahead from him to refuse ANY trade if we felt it was suspicious or if the customer was being a complete shitheel. He didn't give a gently caress what corporate thought because more often than not, the people we turned away were not the types who would go and complain to corporate because they couldn't fence their stolen goods at our store. Didn't stop them from trying though.

Only downside was every few months we'd get a new employee or assistant manager that would transfer from a nicer area or something and they would completely buck at doing this to the point they would be targeted by said shady customers.

I don't understand why they didn't follow our routine. It made my life a whole lot easier telling those poo poo heads to gently caress off instead of bowing to corporate over something they really had no perception of.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

alreadybeen posted:

To all of you gamestoppers, what percent of trade-ins are this shady stuff? This thread is ruining my impression of humanity.

I'd say at my store, it was something in the area of 30%, maybe 40-50% if it was the end of the month and people were inbetween pay/benefit periods.

Then again, my store was in a really really lovely area. I'd say the average for most gamestops is 10%.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 24, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MrDorf posted:

Words.
Also, abandon any hope you have for humanity.

hahaha, noted, although I lost hope for humanity long ago thanks to Bank of America and Gamestop. They actually ended up making me a Counter-Ops agent so I answer phones and take care of shipments/customer callbacks in the back area rather than fixing things and standing out on the sales floor. It's not that bad so far...but I'm hopeful that it won't last long and I'll find non-retail employment before Black Friday.

I've got an interview in a few hours for a nice office job that I'm hopeful will finally get me the chance to run the hell away from retail forever.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Today is the last day I will ever work a retail job. :knocks on wood:

I dare a customer to cross me today. I start my new office job Monday and I can hardly wait.

Seriously the past two shifts I've worked, I've dealt with a rogues gallery of retarded and stupid customers that seem to have some sixth sense and know I'm on my way out so they ramp up the stupid to unbearable levels.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Neito posted:

It is a fairy tail in a way. Mostly affordable state health care for the poorish, minimum shift lengths, and an 8 or 9 dollar an hour minimum wage.

And re: the cold. Nothing like a 50 degree day with a hot coffee in one hand and two jelly dunkin donuts in the other.

I don't even work retail anymore (sweet office job as a quasi research librarian ) and you're making me miss Mass/RI so hard right now.

I worked in a Gamestop and Stop and Shop for years and the best thing about working in those states was a lot of the bullshit I dealt with was mainly from customers and rarely management due to some pretty sweet labor laws. It was nice.

When I moved to DC and had to take a retail job for about a month till I got this one, ugh it was awful.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...html?tid=pm_pop

Guy at Target starts a petition to tell Target/others to cut the "be at work for 11 Thursday night" poo poo out, we'd like to enjoy our holiday too, thanks.

Good for that guy, although he is probably out of a job when the season ends.

Also, the comments are why I'm so glad I'm out of retail. gently caress people.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Never read online newspaper comments. You think that people have to try to be trolls, but there are a lot of people who are trolls in real life and just don't understand poo poo.

Oh I know, my girlfriend constantly yells at me for it...but for some reason, I always play the game of, let's see how long it takes some rear end in a top hat to rationalize horrible poo poo out of thin air. It never takes that long.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Stupid customers used to get so pissed off at me when I was left in charge of my store (Gamestop) on Thanksgiving Eve.

Official policy was, we'd close at 6 that night, but if it was dead, I'd start to close up at like 5:45-5:50ish (read, still open but shutting extra registers down, not accepting trades, locking the door if no one is there at 5:55) since it's not really vital that anyone get poo poo for Thanksgiving. Christmas eve I can understand but even then, we closed at six on the dot. If you weren't at the register at 6PM, you were poo poo outta luck. Even after we finished regular closing procedures, we still had to get things ready for black friday. That and I like most normal people would rather be at home with family instead of selling you DS games. You'd still have people though showing up at 6:05, 6:10, etc as we were finishing up cleaning, begging us to let them in like we were the last chopper outta Saigon. It was pretty pathetic.

I always gave the same speech to people who persisted on banging on my door in a pretty blunt manner. We sell video games, not diabetic insulin or medical equipment or any other of life's essentials. I'm not staying late and neither are my employees because you just have to trade in your old xbox games for cash or need a random copy of Madden '02. If you don't like it, I give no fucks and neither does my manager (the DM might but he rarely found out). Feel free to threaten never to shop here again, I'm pretty sure our profit margin will be fine without you. We'll see you in a few weeks as always since you can't be arsed to drive the extra 10 minutes to the other Gamestop or that public transit doesn't go there to begin with.

That job, was actually kind of a sweet way to end my retail experience and get through my final two years of college. My manager backed me up whenever we had really horrible customers, and I was allowed to basically tell people to :fuckoff: if they were trying to rip us off or started becoming hostile for no apparent reason. It was nice being able to tell people who rightfully deserved it to go to hell after having to endure so many years of "Sorry Sir, may I have another?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Chortles posted:

Unfortunately, by the time I told him to clean the front door, they had finally left and we'd missed our opportunity for one of my GAs to troll them by literally spraying glass cleaner at the door practically in their faces. (Mind you, he was VERY enthusiastic about that.)

:lol: I've done that countless times, it never got old.

[quote=]
Odd for the DM to mind you not re-opening, I thought it was supposed to be the other way around? That the DM would want you to not reopen for risk of robbery and the time cost of dealing with the customer who may or may not actually know what they want.

[/quote]

Well we were told not to open up again or anything, but if a customer complained that we were closed when they arrived, we were given poo poo for it as if we closed 40 minutes early and they were there well before closing. Usually my SM (a retail vet in his fifties) told my DM to suck a bag of dicks if he tried to write anyone up, because we followed policy. It also helped my SM was tight with our district HR guy so we could push limits most people never knew about. So our store was pretty awesome so far as co-workers and management was concerned most of the time.

Best example I can think of with people showing up past close and complaining is a few years ago when we were working on a Sunday. We close at six on Sundays but people would still try come into the store with massive trades at five of or after six, it was extremely annoying because it was usually the same people.

As we are getting ready to close up shop, someone calls us asking what time we close. It's 5:56 at this point. We tell them we are closing in four minutes. They explain they are ten minutes away, couldn't we please just stay open for them. My co-worker tells them politely that unfortunately, we won't be able to do that, but this guy pleads and begs for us to let them in when they get there in ten minutes. Realizing they aren't getting the hint, my co-worker tells them again that we can't do that and that we're "sorry" :rolleyes:

Sure enough, at 6 minutes past six, a minivan screeches in front of our store in the fire lane (I really hate people who parked in the fire lane to come into the store, it's far worse than people who park in handicap spots as far as I'm concerned) and out pour two kids trying to pry the door open. I'm standing inside at the door yelling, no sorry, we're closed. The guy driving the van starts yelling at me that they just called and they want to get something quick. At this point we've already started to shut down registers and clean. He keeps yelling and I just shake my head and point at my watch. He finally yells that I clearly don't want his business(No poo poo, we don't want anyone's business when we're closed you loving moron) and that he'll see what my manager thinks of that tomorrow.

Sure enough he comes in the next morning and bitches to my SM, my SM looks at him squarely and tells him "I saw the whole thing on the camera, you were here after closing. He did the right thing. Sorry." The guy tried telling my manager that we were all refusing business and that he'd get us all fired when he told corporate about this as he left the store screaming. My manager just laughed at him and we carried on.

Never heard anything from corporate. In fact, the only time you'd hear something from corporate is if it involved theft or if one of us used vulgarity with a customer. That never happened except with a few stupid employees.