Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Normalman posted:

My Gamestop has been a fence for drug addicts and scumbags to sell games they've stolen to get money for a long, long time...

Oh yeah, I share your pain. The story I have is this one time, these two guys came into my store (not a Gamestop) to trade in some games. By "some games", I mean two shopping bags full of them.

All the games were shrink-wrapped and some even still had price tags on them. It was a complete random assortment: not the collection of someone who just sold their system. There were Wii shovelware casual titles mixed in with hardcore RTS titles. Basically it just looked like these two guys raided a WalMart bargain bin and stuffed the games into their bags. It was shady as all hell, but there was nothing we could do about it because our only policy at the time was "no more than 2 of an identical game for a trade". Plus, our manager at the time was a control-freak who unironically believed the "customer is always right" and treated staff like expendable cogs in a machine designed to generate revenue numbers.

All we could do at the time was get them on camera and if they got busted then we had evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

As far as letting poo poo fail, it's just not in my nature not to mention the fact if the wrong person happens to wander in for an inspection we're screwed and could all end up jobless. Uggh yeah I am a door mat (a girl door mat).

Who exactly is doing the inspections? This is key to any advice I might be able to give.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Rohaq posted:

If people are known to be difficult and want ridiculous poo poo for free, the worst thing you can do is reward them for their behaviour.

One of the biggest lessons my mom taught my brother and I when we were really young is "No matter how big a tantrum you throw, you will not get what you want."

Working retail has shown my mom was a dirty liar. :)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Abercrunchie posted:

You know how 99% of retail stores have closing annoucements? (IE: "Attention shoppers, the store will be closing in ten minutes!") Well, ever since our store went from franchised to corporate about a year ago a decision was made to stop doing this.

I've been working there for a few years and it was sometimes hard enough getting people to quit shopping WITH the announcements. They just plain ignored 'em. Now every night it's pretty much a guarantee to have at least five shoppers remaining after the store closes. Also, there is only one cashier available at this time, AND we only have half an hour after closing to do our nightly cleaning duties after close.

I'm just... totally clueless as to HOW those people in upper management concluded that the closing announcements were a bad thing. If any of them are in the store that late then us cashiers get reprimanded if we decide to make any announcements.

Has this happened to anyone else? I guess it kinda sounds petty now that I think about it, but it's snowballed into a retarded situation for the closing cashier every night.

One thing I've noticed about retail management is this colossal fear of telling customers "no" even if it's perfectly reasonable. The biggest problem with American retail culture is that infamous belief that "a customer with a good experience will tell one person about it, a customer with a bad experience will tell three". I really do not believe that there exists statistics or science to back this up. Telling customers to "get out", even indirectly will freak out the retail management lifers who believe the lies that empower them.

It's also why you see returns two months later or gift cards being handed out like candy. Usually done with a wave of the hand without asking WHAT the issue was to begin with. Going up to a manager, starting to explain the issue and just getting a "JUST DO IT!" snapped at you followed by a passive-aggressive sigh is the most frustrating part of my job.

I really could go on about retail management and how it's for the people that couldn't hack it in serious management positions. Thus, they kind of float around their retail chain and take it out passive-aggressively on 20-somethings who work to pay for their courses they need to pursue a dream or career that retail managers have given up on.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The best thing one can do with regards to Christmas music is to find a CD by a decent or tolerable band that made a Christmas album. A friend of mine a couple years ago played Trans Siberian Orchestra instead of the loving Chipmunks and nobody from district complained.

The worst though is that music that plays the rest of the year that NEVER EVER updates or changes.