Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

SpartanIV posted:

Please tell me the manager compensated you for gas or something.

One thing I've learned working retail is expect nothing from management. No raises, no benefits, no respect nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So I'm working graveyard at a gas station and recently I've found my self wonder just what goes through the mind of a person who absolutely must buy a $20 worth of lottery scratchers at 3:00am.

Their aren't many things I consider to be a bigger waste of money than strippers but yes lotto scratchers are just that.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Flavor Bear posted:

I never had that happen, oddly enough.
Can you even run winning scratch-offs through that late? Every job I've ever had that dealt with lottery, the lotto machine automatically shut off at 11:00 PM.

My machine shuts off around two in the morning so I can't sell any of the state drawings after that time or cash out any kind of ticket but I can sell scratch-offs at any time. This leads to a lot of confrontations with the drunks, meth addicts, junkies and hobos that wonder in to the store at that time of night. Alot of them like to play they "I used to work here and I know for a fact that you machine works now I need the winnings off of this ticket now....ect...ect...I'M TELLING YOUR MANGER." gently caress all people who play any form of lottery.

Nosaj posted:

They are either people who work late every day so lets say they work like 4-12pm or 3-11pm and they come in thats like them coming home from work grabbing a shower or some food and deciding they wanna sratch some tickets before going to bed or whatever.

Either that or they're on drugs.

I've been assuming the latter

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Strawberry posted:

I've never gotten a perfect 5 ("World Class Service", as they call it) when I get secret shopped. Usually 4s, with the occasional 3.

I remember a while back one of our produce guys got a -1. He got into a heated argument with another employee, lots of shouting.

Yeah nearly all secret shops I've scene are like that usually because the clerk didn't try to :airquote:up sale.:airquote:.

God I hate up selling, I need to bitch about this some, in my experience up selling policies more less amount to store mangers getting edgy and nervous after the secret shopper reports come or when regional guys are coming over to chew the store manger out, in both cases all it amounts to is the store manager telling everyone to up-sale, sometimes with thinly veiled threats of being fired, this new commitment to up sales basically last until the store manger goes home and is entirely forgotten by the next day even by the manger.

You can tell that up selling polices where the brain child of corporate bean counters who have little to no experience with actual customers. Customers hate it and in my experience its one of the worse things for a stores employee moral (not that corporate management cares about that ever) because store mangers usually have to be really heavy handed because the clerks won't do it otherwise.

I worked at Radio Shack for a while and that company was down rite obsessed with up selling I was literally supposed to try and sale every customer a cellphone (plus accessories), a store credit card, in store warranties and 3 packs of (very over priced) batteries to ever sucker. Of course they tell us it possible to sell these to anyone if done rite and boy did the regional director let my store manger know if we didn't reach our goals. gently caress that chain seriously.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 17, 2010

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Operation Juicebox posted:

Aye. I have to make a certain amount of profit per hour to qualify for commission. Theoretically I could do this by putting a shitload of travel adaptors or something through the till but I'd have to put like 3,000 or so through per shift because the best way to earn the profit I need for my commission is through 'KPIs'.

This means if I sell a laptop I need to sell a bag, Norton 360, Microsoft Office 2010 and the insurance with it. That's it. That's all that counts towards my KPI. If I do not earn enough points in my KPIs I can kiss sweet goodbye to any extra money. If I sell a TV I have to sell a bracket/stand, insurance, HDMI lead (and only the expensive Belkin ones count). So if I can sell Norton to a customer I will.
One thing I learned working Radio Shack is never ever to trust the sales person. It's not that I blame the grunts in the isles or at cash register themselves but management will drill into them to sell certain products and accessories that are huge wastes of money, and some clerks will do everything from repeat the company written sales pitches, to creatively stretch the truth, to using out right lies, in order get extra money and avoid being humiliated by store mangers. And again I don't blame the clerks,I've been there to, it's entire chain of command all the way up the corporate overlords who command this bullshit.

Needless to say I've learned the importance of doing homework before buying anything over a hundred bucks especially if it's bought in a brick and mortar store.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Operation Juicebox posted:

We don't have Radio Shack here in jolly old England but I know what you mean. My co-workers fit so well into the sales tactics you just described. The girl with the highest sales figures in our store openly flirts with customers to get them to buy poo poo. She is extraordinarily pretty too so it works jaw-droppingly well.

At least in England you have health care. Working retail in the states means you get usually mean no benefits its very common for people to work 35 hours a week at a place instead of a full 40 because putting a person on full time would mean the employer would have give an employee benefits. I know many people who work second and third jobs at minimum wage and they still can not afford healthcare.

edit: also our minium wage is $8.00 and hour. So at current rates of exchange retail workers in the States are making £5.1 an hour.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 24, 2010

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

BeardedFerret posted:

This could easily be an entire thread on its own. We had ours come to visit for three whole days this month - he spent all three holed up in our tiny stock room, sniping at our managers and barely setting foot on the sales floor.

gently caress GMs, gently caress middle management.

I dread hearing the words "Genral/Area/Regional Manger is coming to visit" You know rite then that the store manger was going to be strung out nit picking everything everyone did, implementing a draconian cleaning regiment and possibly threatening your job when those assholes where coming by.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 29, 2010

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So I'm being moved off of grave yard at the gas station I work at, which is awesome rite? Except that I going from ruffly 30 hours a week to 18, I asked that I please not be put on Friday swing shift because that's the night I play D&D or whatever pen and paper RPG has our interest at the moment and is the only time I get to see my friends, before this our game ended eleven at night so I had plenty of time to get to work. Now I have a choice between a social life and one extra shift that I really need. So I am going to man up and ask to work Friday. :(

What really gets to me is that they never even asked if I wanted off grave yard or not they're just changing my schedule, for some unknown reason and even working Fridays I am going to be working six hours less than I was. What really pissed me off was when my supervisor told me about this, I asked for a reason he just said "I thought you would be glad to get off of grave yard" which, I would be, if, I was able to keep the same total hours and still see my friends. I kind of suspect something fishy going though.

One of the things that gets to me about retail is how bloody inconsistent things are, its nearly impossible to make even the most meager living doing when your hours can change so much. How I wish to have been born in France instead.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 8, 2010

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Duck_King posted:

I told my boss that if the store ran the way it does now when I was a customer, I would have never shopped there.

I really have started wonder what kind of research goes in to making in-store policy and procedure at corporate offices. I feel like someone from Mars comes up with this stuff. And as Duck King points out they make transactions tedious and in some cases down rite hostile for the customers and clerks alike. But of course if a customers gets mad it will be clerks fault.

To continue with the theme of what the gently caress is corporate thinking, I would like to know who writes the scripts for employee training movies. I am amazed that every one I've watched has a scene where the actor play the store manger eventually gives a speech that goes "our job is to make sure that every customer has a great time in our store and its the extra effort put forth to give the customer a great experience which gives us the edge over our comparators and insures repeat business." Because god knows the clerks smiling at you is going to be more important than the selection, prices and location of a given store.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 9, 2010

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So yesterday I had an interview to do tech support and company a friend works at. Sent me the 'you didn't get the job' email in less than two hours. I HATE the idea but i'm going to start the process to be a prison guard.I think i have to finally admit I'm just white trash and that my choices in life where always: build houses, go to prison or be a prison guard.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 18, 2011

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

spankmeister posted:

Eh you could start selling guns or join the army.

I'd make way more money as a guard.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
There is something I have been wanting to say here for a while now, gently caress ALL SMOKERS, yes I mean you. Why smokers deserve their ten minute break every loving hour is beyond me. And selling cigarettes is a pain in rear end to, listen if you are under the age of thirty expect to be carded your nicotine fix is not worth me paying a thousand dollar fine and losing my job. Why the gently caress do you bastards not carry your ID when you leave the house and no saying phrase 'but I'm over eighteen' does not protect me if I sell to a minor and for gently caress sakes if your driver license is about to expire get a new one an expired ID is not valid I don't care when you where born.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 23, 2011