Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Nosaj posted:

Me - "That will be $x.xx please"

Them - *Slams down a few bills and a whole lot of loose change"

Me - "Um how much is here?"

Them - "I dunno, count it"

Quite possibly the most ignorant thing you can do. I'm not your loving mother and if you're not a child or a cripple I'm not going to be counting your loving money out for you.

Pretty sure that's your job, so start counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Nosaj posted:

No its not but thanks for trying.

You hand me the amount of money I tell you it costs, where I double check it .

You dont just throw every bit of money you have on you on the counter and check your text messages while I count out exact change for you.

But feel free to continue showing your ignorance lord knows the rest of the loving braindead populace dont mind showing their true colors.

You're a cash register boy and giving back change is part of your job.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Nosaj posted:

:qq:

Congrats you're literally worse than the people you hate.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Boondock Saint posted:

Ok since you're both five years old, I'll break it down for you.

To legally drive a car on public roads in the United States, one needs a valid drivers license in order to do so.

Driving without one on your person is illegal in most states, including the state where my anecdote took place. I hope this clears everything up.

What part of that means you can't start a car without a license? Have you thought this through at all?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Lamech posted:

He's not SPECIFICALLY SAYING ONE CANNOT DRIVE WITHOUT A LICENSE you bozos!

He's complaining about an aspect of retail in this thread about people who work retail that it's a pretty loving dumb excuse and he gets exactly what is really going on when people say "oops I don't have my license on me durrr" when questioned about if a person has their license on them and then they go drive away in their car.

Jesus Christ how do you people function in normal real world conversation??

So they must be lying? What a douchey thing to assume.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I know the feeling.

When working the afternoon-close shift at the petrol station, we'd make up a float for the person opening up the next morning with any excess coins and notes we ended up with. Normally this wasn't a problem, but of course there were "those days" when it was just large notes and card payments, and keeping enough change for customers was hard enough, let alone putting together a float. When this happens, during the final hour or so anything other than petrol not paid for by change or cards has to be refused, because once petrol goes in it doesn't come out, so if a customer wants to pay cash and needs change we need to prioritise for them.

(Bear in mind that we had no access to the safe for more change or anything once the boss had gone home, it really was pot luck as to how it goes.)

So it's the last hour of my shift before close, and I've got very little left in the till. Some dude and his wife pulls up, he comes in, pops a pack of chewing gum on the counter and pulls out a twenty. I apologise and tell him that I simply cannot give him change for that, not at this time of night, I need to keep what change I have left for petrol buying customers. He gives me this look as if I'm the first person ever to refuse him anything in his life, and silently leaves the shop.

A minute or so later, my screen beeps at me, telling me he's wanting petrol. I think, alright, you're going to be sensible and buy some fuel to get a bit of change. Fair enough. Ugh, how wrong I was. He fills up to the tune of about £1.20, and then sends his wife in with the twenty. What a coward. I'm so dumbfounded that I don't even think to say "No worries, this is on me! Have a great night!" or something similar, I just silently take the cash and give his wife pretty much all my remaining change. He even flips me the bird as they pull out and leave.

I wanted to hunt that guy down and beat him to death right then. It's bugged me now and then ever since.

I closed the site half an hour early, partly because I had no change left and partly because I was so pissed off.

Hahahaha sorry but this is hilarious. I have to give props to the guy, I mean he just did exactly what you told him to do. If you want to blame anybody blame your boss for not leaving you with a way to get more change.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Sonic Dude posted:

You've never worked retail, have you? :frogout:

For content, if one more person brings something in and says "this isn't working" and leaves out the part where they vomited on it, I might actually scream. At them. In public.
Twice this week. It's Tuesday.

Nope, I just read this thread for the funny stories :)

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Well I don't mean to say this to offend anyone, but I've noticed a generally unpleasant attitude and sometimes downright sociopathic behavior from a good portion of the regular posters here. Not just this recent derail either, but basically all the time. Maybe that's why some of you are stuck in retail?

quote:

All it really does is propagate an impression to people that retail/food service people are naturally aggressive; that's definitely what they're going to be telling to everyone they know.
Basically this, but in a more broad sense.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Haha yessss

Of course I probably make at least triple whoever bought me the title so I can change it anytime, but I think I'll stick with it for a while :)

miscellaneous14 posted:

Thinking that forced-optimism in life somehow makes you more successful is one of the biggest misconceptions in this country today. It's difficult to stay positive when your job seems to constantly stomp on your toes, and with no apparent way out. Not all of us are that guy from Waiting, I mean gently caress, look at TShields and all of his posts.

If someone's a dick to me at work, the only thing I can really do is just whatever they want me to and hope they'll go away soon enough (sadly not the case with my coworkers). I relish what few people around me bother to be nice and grateful for the work I do.

I didn't mean to be chipper at work, who cares about that, but many people in this thread seem to be disturbed even outside of work (well, then there's the literal psychopath who fucks with people). I mean, that's gotta tank your job aspects somewhat! Fewer friends to get leads from, way less attractive in interviews, so on and so on.

Zo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 28, 2011

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

miscellaneous14 posted:

You're assuming that all of us act lovely outside of work and ruin our own job prospects? Seriously? I think you need to go watch Barbara Ehrenreich's "Smile or Die" before you say anything else at this point.

You should read more carefully. I never said all of you or even most of you. I'm not talking about positive thinking either.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
What hole? That's pretty much the jist of what I was getting at - just not to everybody.

Also this is still a thread on SA, so anyone can comment if they want. If you want a secret club for just retail employees to bitch at there are probably other websites to do it :)

I mean if moana tells me to get out that's fine, but I'm not even trolling here, it's what I actually think!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Klaus Kinski posted:

This is honestly a good example of people who deserve to be working retail. If you can't take two seconds to follow a simple, standard safety procedure, you really shouldn't make much above minimum wage.
Sounds like they deserve to be unemployed actually, since they can't even do that job right.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

silversiren posted:

Today some little poo poo of a kid figured out how to make the belt stop and kept holding his hands in front of it. As if that wasn't bad enough, he took the only two items his mom was purchasing and slid them all the way to the end of the belt where I couldn't reach. His brother took them and put them within my reach and told the kid to stop, but when I went to grab the items to scan them, the little poo poo snatched them from my hands and threw them back down at the end of the belt. While his piece of poo poo mom stood there laughing.
I loving hope to god that little son if a hitch gets a lowest-end-of-the-food-chain retail job when he gets of age.
Btw is it child abuse if you hit someone else's kid.

He is a child. So are you, apparently.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

D34THROW posted:

words
So why is it such a crime that people want the convenince of breaking a bill or using up change? You seem really gungho about rules and policy so maybe you should try to make it into a policy or something? Like those gas stations that refuse 100 dollar bills altogether.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Chicken Doodle posted:

So basically you want an employee who'll take a sick day off from your work to go to a job interview somewhere else, and gently caress off with no notice? Good to know.

I don't know where you got "gently caress off with no notice" from but what is wrong with being expected to take sick/personal days to make interviews?

Also :lol: at the guy who was suggesting that somewhere between 9-5 was "unreasonable hours" for an interview.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Volmarias posted:

How many personal days do you get? What happens if you exceed this number? Are your days off paid or unpaid? If you take a sick day, will you still make rent? Do you need to schedule your sick days in advance?

How many jobs do you expect a candidate to interview at before getting hired? How many days off might that take? I'm a pretty smart guy and a good interviewer, and that number is larger than "1" for every time I've started job hunting.

The mismatch between these questions and the consequences therein is why people are rightly making GBS threads on this. You're implicitly biasing yourself against candidates who don't have the flexibility to just pick any arbitrary day for an interview.

Yes why can't the whole world cater to your every need :qq:

If you're that whiny and entitled in real life you're probably actually a terrible interviewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

The Lord Bude posted:

We've moved onto paywave now.

Also I have another one:

Customers that get pissed off when you do something NICE for them. Our policy is quite clear - if a product scans at the wrong price compared to what was advertised, or what was shown on the shelf ticket (because of an expired sale ticket, or something went wrong somewhere in the computer system - the customer gets that product for free. And yet I have customers become outraged at the idea that I'm giving them something for free, after they themselves have complained that the price was wrong.

So of course this story is entirely stdh.txt unless you're so autistic that someone going "oh wow no way! free?" is being "outraged" to you

But please, describe how someone got mad in that situation :allears: