Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

The Robins Taley posted:

I work at a nicer grocery store chain in a very affluent area. After work the other night I had to run to wal-mart to pick something up. The look in the dead, soul-less eyes of that cashier will haunt me forever. I feel bad for ever complaining about my job. It could be so much worse.

The wal-mart I work at isn't so bad. Yes I get the occasional whack job but most people are cool. best of all people don't have to fill the check out, because the reader will do it for them and we usually just give it back. NOw only if I could get more than 25 hours a week I could actually get bills paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Had a lady yesterday upset that I was counting her cans of cat food. Turns out they were 32 can of the same flavor. Apparently there is only one way to count something. Of course if she had just shut up and let me do my thing she would of been out of there in half the time. God people disgust me.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Nocheez posted:

I speak as a consumer that this is the most annoying thing ever. Some checkers forget to turn their lights on, sometimes a light is burned out, etc. We have no clue what to think when a person is manning a register but the light is off.

The real answer should be to turn your light on when you're at the register, then turn it off when you're finishing and let people know that the register will be closing after the current customer is checked out.

He's talking about people seeing the light off and getting in the line anyway. Then when called out on it they feign ignorance about seeing the light off. I hate these mother fuckers with a passion.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

No kidding. I get $7.70 an hour $8.70 an hour on Sundays. Plus now it's the "holiday season" I can't ask for a day off. I only have open availability. I can work 24/7 and I get 24 hours a week. It's sad.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Octofoot posted:

Not to mention quite a lot of employers like to hire people as part-time and never move them to full so they don't have to pay for medical insurance and the like.

Yes this is so frustrating.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

BeardedFerret posted:

Be prepared for disappointment when your coworkers gently caress up your hard work within a week.

More like customers will mess it up 3 seconds after you finish. People will put poo poo wherever they want. Unless you go back and orginize it every 15 mnutes it'll get messy beyond madness.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Well got a job offer today, so I am out of retail for the foreseeable future. Go Year of the Job!

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Strangelv posted:

I have an interview with the Home Depot in a few hours for cashier or cart attendant. Any tips?

Be a cashier if you can. Being a cart attendant sucks. people are lazy and always need loading. If you don't finish putting the carts up by the time your shift ends, even if it was super duper busy and the mid shift guy didn't come in, you get in trouble for "wanting" to leave when your shift is scheduled to leave.

As far as advice goes, wear nice pants and a button up/ polo shirt. Pretend to be the super anything for the customer person.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Lolitas Alright! posted:

For the upcoming Frappucino season, we're re-releasing our coconut syrup (that we stopped using years ago) and getting in our reusable, double-walled plastic iced drink cups that we usually only sell at Christmas. Whenever we get in a shipment of seasonal syrups/toppings for drinks, we're permitted to sign out one bottle and one container of each syrup and topping, respectively, for our use only.

So, of course, this conversation happened last shift.

:j:: Hi there, what can I get going for you?
:byodame:: ARE YOU GETTING IN THE COCONUT STUFF.
:j:: We sure are! We're not releasing it til May 3rd, though, sorry about that.
:byodame:: WHAT ABOUT THE PLASTIC CUPS.
:j:: The same, sorry. They won't be out til May 3rd.
:byodame:: WELL WHY CAN'T I GET A COCONUT FRAPPUCINO? I SEE THE BOTTLE RIGHT THERE! *points to the syrup*
:j:: Yes, we have them in stock, but that bottle is specifically for partner use only. We're mainly using it to train new baristas on how to make the Mocha Coconut drinks.
:byodame:: BUT I WANT IT! YOU HAVE IT, WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT!
:j:: We- we're not permitted to make anything for customers with it, ma'am, not until May 3rd. I'm sorry. Company policy.
:byodame:: LET ME SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER RIGHT NOW, LITTLE GIRL!
:j:: (By this point, I am pissed.) Sure. *Calls over the shift lead*

So my shift lead tells the bitch the exact same goddamn thing. The lady then threatens to call corporate, to which my lead responds with "Have fun with that, ma'am! Have a good day!" She just huffed and stormed out, bitching about how she'll never, ever come back to Starbucks again. Oh no, what a motherfucking tragedy. The lead actually apologized for the way the lady was acting, and our manager said that, while "Have fun with that!" was probably not the best response, that abusing her baristas is a huge no-no, and we're to tell her if she comes back.

And, since we're advertising the coconut drinks coming back and our unusual release of the cups, I get to look forward to this poo poo every day until May 3rd! Along with the usual phone calls of "WHAT TIME DO YOU GUYS CLOSE?" (we close at 11pm. This will not change. It has not changed.), it'll also be "DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE OF THE ICED CUPS?"

It'll happen without fail, since we sell out of those motherfuckers within a half-hour of their in-store release. We open at 4:30am and they're gone by 5am, every time we get a shipment. :sigh:
I totally agree with you that these people are assholes, but why not put the mix where they can't see it? Now if you have no room for that, never mind.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

cobalt impurity posted:

Last week I got bitched out for showing up at my scheduled time instead of the time I was supposed to be there. Apparently in the five days prior, two of which I worked, no one had the time to tell me I was supposed to come in two and a half hours earlier than scheduled, and it's my fault for not assuming the schedule was incorrect and calling to confirm it! :v:

Oh, Bed Bath & Beyond is hiring. How interesting...

Had a manger change my schedule, which I wouldn't Have too much of a problem with, but they didn't let me know. I told her that was like me coming in late just because I wanted to. Didn't happen again amazingly enough.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

AASman posted:

How are your stores on giving breaks? We haven't been getting our second payed fifteen minute break(we have to wait for our managers to call it on the overhead) and they give us a hard time and roll their eyes if we ask for it. In Virginia its law that we have to get an unpaid 30minute meal break every six hours but it doesn't say anything about paid ones. Thing is, everyone I work with is indifferent and don't bother asking for it because they don't feel like arguing with the managers. The other day we worked 2:00am to 11:45am we got our first 15 minute break at 6:00am and lunch at 7:30am and no other breaks. I think the policy is a second 15 two hours after our lunch.

Is there anything I can do? Just not let it bother me? I don't care about getting a second 15minute break that much but its the principle of it for me.

Do you have an employee handbook? What does it say in there about breaks? If it mentions a second break, I'd bring it up to your managers why they don't follow it.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

MC Hawking posted:

For those keeping track, this is the SECOND time I've been offered a consultancy gig by a vendor because they have no idea how the gently caress to implement their own systems.

Oh and I get to go in on a day off when we're closed to do the actual finalized install. I doubt I'm getting paid, so I'm making sure to bring tacos and it's gonna be a working party with irish coffee and little bitty scotch shooters.

It's going to be right before the 4th of July. I am expecting fireworks

DO NOT DO WORK YOU WILL NOT GET PAID FOR. Tell whoever is asking you to work unpaid, "gently caress you pay me."
EDIT: If they insist get it in writing they want you to work and not get paid. Thank take him to court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's been a lifelong struggle for me to accept the obvious truth that once you're in a car, it's the law of the jungle. Trying to be considerate of other drivers only ever gets you taken advantage of ruthlessly by the assholes, and the assholes win.

Ever been stuck in a line of crawling traffic because two lanes on the highway are bottlenecking into one somewhere up ahead? I will die before I will allow any rear end in a top hat to come flying up in the about-to-close lane to skip the line to cut in front of me. If he tries, I will kill him or die trying. It will not happen.

But it doesn't matter. 99% of the time, one of the four cars ahead of me will be driven by a mousy person who will allow the rear end in a top hat to cut in.

On the road, the rear end in a top hat always wins. You can be the rear end in a top hat, or you can be repeatedly and endlessly taken advantage of by assholes. Those are your only options.

And furthermore

Sorry but that's where you are supposed to zipper merge. That way traffic keeps flowing and the entire road gets used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX0I8OdK7Tk