Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~

ladymikochan posted:

Other than that, no real complaints since we've switched over to NFL coverage on our TVs rather than have Avatar playing over and over and over.... ::Smith-unsmith-suicide!::

Sounds like you work at an hhgregg. the entire 2 months I was there until I got laid off because they overhired for grand opening, that's all that was on all those beautiful god damned tvs. And then there was the last scene from drum line playing in the audio demo center, and there was one TV in the back replaying the same scene from Sherlock Holmes all day. Now I can't stand to look at the actor who was the main character in Avatar, and I poo poo you not that stupid scene from drumline played in my dreams for a few days. :(

About the mp3 player thing, when I worked at petco I would listen to it while opening the animals before the store opened and while facing the store after we closed, primarily the canned cat food. I can't believe how many people feed their cats that poo poo, and I really hate it when they get 18 cases of it and they mix and match and make a mess of the cat food department and they won't take it out of their cart and then they write a check. You could at least have most of the check filled out before you make it to the register! Good god.

I just started my new job at the Lego store that just opened in my local mall. So far it's been really fun, except for when people think it's so cute to have their kids pay with change from their piggy bank. Go to a loving coinstar before you bring a literal bucket of change to my cash register. At least today (the saturday of our grand opening weekend with lines out the door no less) it was "only" $6 in coins. I'm a huge fan of my management and coworkers and I get paid every week. My only complaint is I'm getting about half the hours I'm asking for. My manager did say that he'd be letting a few people go after grand opening, so that should open up some hours they can float my way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

shifty posted:

When Wiis were in short supply, I called around once a week to find one. Finally, there were 5 at a local Best Buy. I rushed over there, and in 5 minutes they were "out". I asked a manager if they had really sold 5 Wiis in the past 5 minutes. Magically, the employees remembered they had 5 in the back, and very secretively got me one. I realize there's normally nothing in the back that's not out on the shelves, but sometimes the question is justified.

This was a big exception when I worked at Circuit City, though we could tell people they were there but weren't allowed to sell them until the ad for that week had started.

At the Lego store I work at, the back room is so small that we have the shelves on wheels so we can fit all the stuff we can carry. This size limitation extends to the floor, so while the stock is generally limited, sometimes we do have whatever you're looking for, we just can't physically fit it on a shelf on the floor.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

MaxDuo posted:

As for people ignoring you when you say hello... I enjoy when you find the people who haven't finished the conditioning of telling all employees to gently caress off.

Me: Hello there ma'am, how are you?
Lady: No, I'm just looking... Oh! No, I'm sorry. I'm fine, how are you? Thanks, sorry.

:argh: The other day I told someone I liked her hair and she said "just browsing thanks!" and I wanted to punch her. It's not even like the store was busy or loud or anything, she was just too absorbed in telling me to go away :(

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
By some holy stroke of luck, I am not scheduled to work Black Friday. At the Lego store in the mall. I was NOT looking forward to the nightmare that would be finding a parking space, let alone having the entire store blown up from the crazies. I'm turning my phone off that day and sleeping in to digest. I might go out at like, 7pm to see if Best Buy or some other places have any of the good blu ray deals still in stock. Sorry for all you guys who have to work though :(

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Today at work was an extra-special employee discount day where we get 50% off instead of 30%. I wasn't scheduled and popped by after class to get some Christmas gifts and take advantage of this sweet deal. There is a counter behind the cash register counter as there is more customer-accessible merchandise back there. I was waiting for my boyfriend to finish shopping and was leaning on the secondary counter. Completely ignoring my unoccupied dress-code + bright yellow apron clad coworker, some lady holds up something and asked me, weighed down by boxes of stuff and bags from other stores, how much it was. I just sputtered and pointed to the person who was actually getting paid to answer questions and be nice. It didn't help that the coworker had, just minutes ago, asked me if something went with something else for a customer, possibly the same one. I'm not on the clock! Quit asking me questions unless you intend to pay me! :argh:

Also, I am going to be quitting this job soon as I have not been getting enough hours or, if I do, they are scheduled in absolutely retarded manners. 2pm - close (turned into a ten hour shift) Saturday and then open to close (eight hours, less than ten hours after my previous shift had ended) the following day? Followed by five work days free of being scheduled, then five hours the next Saturday. What.

Anyway, I already have another job, but the manager (who was my manager at a prior job) doesn't think she'll be able to give me 15-20 hours per week and more during winter break. I know my schedule at my first job up until new year's (all one day on weekends for the next three weeks). Should I hand in my "three week's notice" and work until the end of my scheduled days, or should I just try and keep both jobs? I'm going to be taking classes over winter and am a full time student during "regular" semesters, and I really don't want to work at my first job anymore but money is kind of important. :(

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Well, in my experience, when you hand in your notice, they just schedule you zero hours until the time comes for you to leave. So unless you're on really good terms with the HR manager, and the manager who makes the schedule, just leave whenever you need to. Also, if they're dicking you around on hours, there's no guarantee that they won't schedule you to work when you're scheduled to work at your other job. So just be aware of that possibility.

This is true. I'm on really good terms with the boss at the second job, who even offered to work around the scheduling at the first job to try and give me the number of hours I want (especially since job #1 typically has schedules posted months or several weeks in advance - I knew about new year's day thanksgiving weekend). In addition to the whole retarded-scheduling thing, I think I'm more tired of being kept 1-2 hours past closing to clean at job#1 while the supervisors don't do a whole heck of a lot aside from count drawers and delegate work. This isn't my first retail job, and I would help my managers close at other jobs before so I know they aren't completely busy because youtube is not in the closing procedures, sorry.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Dodgeball posted:

old lady who won't go away
I had a lady like this on Saturday. She asked how to get to the cheesecake factory (because working in a mall means being a walking, talking mall directory) which I knew how to get to because I'm observant of my surroundings.
:j:: Turn right out of the door to this store and turn right again to go down the hallway. Go directly past the food court, out the door and exit the mall. Cheesecake Factory is to the left.
:zombie::Can I walk there?
:j:: ...yes, there just isn't a door inside the mall to get in, so you need to leave the building.
:zombie::Can I leave my car here or do I have to drive over there?
:j:: [I describe how to get there again]
:zombie:: is it close? I thought the food court was near here.
:arghfist::j:: It is, just [directions, again]

I had to describe to her how to get to this stupid restaurant four or five times and she kept asking about leaving her car where she parked it. And the food court, which is literally behind the store I work at :doh:

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Are there any good blogs or whatever about retail bitching that don't have every story boil down to "insane customer walks in, retail worker delivers stunningly witty and biting comment, customer is deeply shamed and walks away?" I'm as big a fan as the next person of retail horror stories but if I wanted fanfiction I'd just write it myself.

Depending on whose story is posted, https://www.retailhellunderground.com is alright. I like the format of https://www.notalwaysright.com better because it cuts to the chase, but some of that is likely also made up. Still entertaining, I think.

Sunday at work a customer asked me to try and find something for her kid, which it turned out we didn't have. While I'm telling her this her kid starts to puke and is doing a lovely job of catching it in his hands. The mom actually cleaned it up herself, using paper towels and a garbage can I provided. Of course, when I picked up the garbage can the kid had gotten puke all over the bag and thus my hand. Nothing says "great day" like handling cold kid puke.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

miscellaneous14 posted:

Has your work not put up some kind of "Please do not remove tomato vines" signs to dissuade people from doing this? Seems like it'd save a lot of trouble, even if everyone wouldn't be smart enough to read it.

You act as if anyone will actually read the sign and/or care. :v:

edit: just like I can read your post! well, my point still stands, even if I am sleep deprived and sick and studying for an organic chemistry exam :haw:

Joonami fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 4, 2011

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Sonic Dude posted:

Even if you meet every single qualification, your former employer can (and always will) challenge your unemployment claim.

Petco/HHgregg never challenged mine. I quit Petco citing a hostile work environment (read: management more retarded than your standard 'hurr management sucks' and who "borrowed" from the safe. brought to the attention of the district manager, nothing happened because she loved him) and hhgregg overhired for the grand opening so I got laid off.

New content: I wish I knew why Lego did not have me scheduled at all from the end of January up through March 6th (last schedule made at the time I saw them). Me and two other girls are literally at zero hours every week. The other girls are lazy and text on the floor and such, but I never do that. Always on task and trying to restock as I can and overall doing my job. One guy who is still getting plenty of hours talks a LOT to coworkers even if a customer is standing right there looking for help. Another guy consistently was missing money from his register every shift for at least two weeks. Why is he still getting hours and I'm not?

I still have my job at the local pet store, but I'm still only getting about 10 hours a week. I need a third job. :rolleyes: Anyone have any opinions on working for Starbucks?

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
I dealt with a customer yesterday that I was reminded of by your "survey." She didn't respond at all when she was greeted (though that's not that uncommon, unfortunately) and the only thing she said when I was ringing her out was "DEBIT!" and completely ignored my "how are you" "total is x" and "do you want a bag?" People like that make me so loving angry, you could at least grunt or SOMETHING instead of act like a stuck up oval office. You're buying pet perfume in Elkton loving Maryland, you have nothing to be stuck up about. :colbert:

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

Meow Cadet posted:

Whoa! I had no idea some states have a tax free weekend! (I googled it) That seems crazy to me. The store I work for does a 'we pay the sales tax' promo a few times a year, and people come out in droves for it. Drives me crazy when we have a 20% off sale, but people want to wait a week or two to save the sales tax instead (which is much less than 20%). I can't imagine the chaos of an entire state going through a retail buying frenzy like that.

There's no sales tax in Delaware, ever. I live in DE and work right across the state line in MD and I get a bunch of "durr but the tag said $8.99 oh right forgot I'm not in delaware anymore :downs:"

Also, do not come into my store 10 minutes before we close to shop for cat toys for 15 minutes and then complain that they are $3.99 (clearly marked) and not $2.99 (your hallucination).

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

-Troika- posted:

http://www.courant.com/business/custom/consumer/hc-bottom-line-best-buy-returns-20120409,0,5063368.column

This is a good thing and should be universally adopted.

Why did I read the comments? The majority are from people who have clearly never worked retail and had to grin their way through a fraudulent return. In my company (local pet supply chain) we have a list of non returnable items (dog crates, dog diapers, grooming supplies, beds, clothing - stuff that makes sense) on the receipts and posted all over the store, and we tell people buying these items that they aren't returnable and people still flip out. Would you want to buy an open package of diapers/tampons/pads/other sanitary item? Or somebody's used dog crate because their puppy outgrew it or died of Parvo or something?

Speaking of customers with superiority complexes, we have this crazy entitled lady who still comes in despite threatening never to return. We had a standing special order for a specific kind of dog food for her, and after she said that she would never shop here again (along with a tirade at my manager, who is young but good at what she does, about poor customer service etc), we stopped ordering it. Wouldn't you know the next time she came in she flipped the gently caress out because we didn't have her food? She buys mealworms to feed blue birds, and we encourage people to sift through the container to make sure they're acceptable before they buy them rather than being accused of selling them half dead bugs. She did, but then called back about how "half of it was worm waste, they're all starting to pupate because they're running out of food!!! also they smell like smoked meat!!" within an hour of leaving the store. She frequently rants about people fixing their animals too, saying there's no medical reason to do it and such. She always has something to complain about every time she comes in - last time it was about some guy with 2 items who "cut in line" because she was looking at another customer's puppies playing on the floor within 20 feet of the register. "At least he only had two items, right?" "EXACTLY, HE ONLY HAD TWO ITEMS WHY COULDN'T HE HAVE WAITED!?" :rolleye: I find comfort in thinking she'll die soon because she is always so worked up about every little thing all the time that her little black heart will give out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
Now, it's very easy
Come on in

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I don't know what I hate more, that or "I just printed it this morning!" when you're checking for counterfeit bills.

You should be glad you don't work as a teller at a bank, or in my case, a credit union. :geno: