Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I headed to Walmart today to scour over the leftover Halloween junk and found some small things that I can use, makeup and the like, and hey, glitter, I need that for decoring my Xmas poo poo. I don't know why gold glitter would be in the Halloween markdown but there's a huge box of them, and I can do a dollar for a container of glitter.

I head to the cashier and she starts ringing up all the clearly marked Halloween stuff, and freezes at seeing the glitter. "Was this in the Halloween area?" she asks, scanning it through and it pops up full price. At 2 bucks. I tell her it was, but not to worry about it, it's an extra buck, I need the stuff anyway, and it's larger container than I'd get at the dollar store.

She seemed surprised that I wasn't throwing a loving fit over a buck to the point she repriced the glitter at 80 cents.

I can understand getting upset if you find something marked for 10 bucks and it rings up at 100 and you didn't gently caress with the price, but seriously, bad karma over a loving dollar? Or pennies.

That reminds me, time to stock up on candy so when I do xmas shopping I can pass some pieces to the cashiers. I remember working one Xmas during a neverending shift, and when a customer bought me some small candy and told me to have a good day, a contrast to the assholes before her, I almost started crying at the register. I still remember her years later. Godspeed, candy lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I actually got into an argument with my mom about the "then it's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" poo poo. We were at a grocery store and the clerk had that soul-dead look in her eye when my mom quipped that line. I told her simply it wasn't funny.

Mom: NO, it's so funny! It's free because it didn't scan, right? *grinning to the cashier*

Me: No, Mom, it's not funny, she can't tell you it isn't.

Mom: No, it's super funny! *starts asking the cashier how funny the line is*

Me: *after a bad day overall* It isn't loving funny, Mom, and it's never loving funny! Every time we go out and you say that line, it's stupid, it isn't funny, she hears that poo poo ten times a day and it never gets funny! STOP SAYING IT.

Mom gave me the cold shoulder the rest of the day. To this day she insists "then it's free!" is the epitome of funny, and the cashier and I have no sense of humor.

She also does the bad manners of drive-thru, mostly by talking right as she pulls up to the order box, "I want THIS and want this and want this and want want want." No, Mom, what you taught me to say was 'I'd like to order' and use 'please.' Amazingly enough I get free poo poo when I say please and thank you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I pick up some plastic shoeboxes today at Target for my mom. She's glad I did. Until she sees that one of them has a crack along the top of the box. And thank gods we're at home because she flips the gently caress out how Target employees break the poo poo and now we have to take it back and she threw out the receipt and took off the stickers already, and....meltdown. She told me to take the box back for an exchange, then realized I wouldn't, then realized she could order me to and now the box is sitting on the kitchen table, perfectly usable still. But goddamnit. It's a four dollar box, I don't want to wait in line forever to exchange it, and we have no receipt or proof the box came from Target.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
While at work today I saw a customer trying to explain to a coworker what they wanted with a print. Customer, however, spoke no English. Instead he just smiled and nodded while the coworker asked every question possible, in English since he speaks no other language, about the size of the print, if he wanted it lam and mounted or just mounted or.... He even brought out examples and the customer only nodded and looked confused.

If you don't speak the tongue most people in the workplace speak, bring a loving translator!

At another store I was at today, a customer wanted to use the self-serve computers. He got his card and asked a cashier to help him since he doesn't know how to use the computer. He wanted lessons on how to use the Internet, how to type, how to use a mouse, set up an email, etc. I remember the 'not this poo poo again' look on the cashier's face as she politely told him his lesson would be an expensive one since she wasn't able to teach him period.

Do you go to a car dealership and ask them to teach you how to drive?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So my friend has a friend who runs a retro gaming store. Amazingly business is good. Not good enough to pay my friend when she works there, but enough that after months of working for free, she gets a paying spot. Nice.

So the owner decides they are moving from spot A in the mall to spot B. A few days ago my friend heads in to open the store and finds it robbed. In total, they got over 20K worth of poo poo.

The move must go on, but my friend isn't being paid for her 60 hour workweek, that now includes remodeling the new store, running inventory, and designing the new place with vintage characters and the like.

Now, I'm all for helping friends, but even I would be hard pressed to work fulltime for a friend for no cash. She, however, doesn't have a job (she used to work retail, made pretty good money, and then quit because she didn't like the stress. Understandable, totally. She went into making websites which pays the bills, but now is full time and over working in this game store. No websites for months now.) and has no issue doing the same exact poo poo she used to get paid for, for free.

It just boggles my mind that her paying job, one where she sits at home and does it and says she enjoys it, is coming second fiddle now to working in her friend's store, again, for no pay. Her day starts about 8am, and she gets home about 10pm. Repeat cycle six to seven days a week. And the days she isn't at the store she's looking for contacts for them or doing other work for the store.

For free.

Am I the only one who thinks this is loving insane?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 28, 2011

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't think she has a crush on him (or if she does, well, he's gay). But I can't bring this up without sounding like a bitch or rehashing old arguments. When I asked her how she gets to work, since she doesn't drive, well, the owner picks her up and then takes her home at the end of the shift, or she catches the bus. She is adament that this is part of her social life as well, she's friends with all her 'coworkers' and they hang around after work all the time. Trying to explain that she could hang out with other friends if she had her license or even stopped working for weeks at a time is moot point. Hell, she just told me with the new remodel she won't take a day off until it's done. Two to five weeks from now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I think even if she got injured somehow she'd never sue. This is her Friend, after all! Can't sue friends! He needs her help, in her words, is all, and what else are friends for?

I just can't wrap my mind around it. Helping a friend pack to move, yes. Leaving your website building and pay job to do it for a week, iffy. Spending almost a month working with stocking, inventory, painting, tiling, remodeling, for free, but because it's for a friend, it's okay? I must be a lovely friend then.

I'll admit part of my wonder is on some jealousy. I barely have spoken to her since before Xmas because of all this, but she's so super excited that the owner has this new spot and it'll be soooo much cooler and she can help paint the characters on the walls and install the shelves and....and I don't get it. She's been working her rear end off with him, or with Friend 2, who needs help packing to move. So between the two, she is averaging probably closer to 70 hours a week. She said she pretty much gets up, goes to the store to work, does help pack afterwards or on weekends, goes to bed, repeat cycle, and has been since before Xmas. For free. At least if she was working for pay she'd have some cash to show for the labor!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well, I guess I shouldn't complain too much. My friend, who's been 'working' for free for some months at her friend's store, has been around about a day or so a week. However, she spent the last day 'off' at the store still. Why? Because she lives at home, and her parents are pissed she isn't bringing in money like she used to. There has been talk of kicking her out of the house. But friend is still pissed that it's come to that so she is avoiding them; don't they (and we, I guess) UNDERSTAND? Her friend NEEDS HER HELP.

If he didn't get some money from his own family, the store would have gone under! If he doesn't get free labor from her and some of their mutual friends who also don't have jobs, then the store will go under! He can't pay them because of the robbery and if he did, the store will go under! No one understands how important this store is, apparently.

It just drives me loving bonkers. I cannot wrap my mind around not having money, needing money, and rather than getting even a lovely job to make it, working for free at a friend's store because he needs the help or the store will go under. She says the store is insanely busy these days, but apparently the store will go under if she isn't there all the time, and she doesn't want to be at home because her parents might throw her out, and she can't afford to move out anyway. But this 'job' is super important because she gets out of the house and gets to hang with her friends and is helping her one friend out a lot! I mean, it's not like a normal paying job would leave her any time to hang with her friends or go see movies with them or anything.

Nope! She wakes up in the morning, takes the bus in (or he picks her up), works all day, and goes home after 9pm, sometimes staying out and over at his place to watch movies all night with the rest of the crew. Repeat cycle. And she wonders why her parents are pissed?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I want to add in that whenever I get those call-in numbers, I always give the highest rating and will sometimes make up awesome service stories just because I know what poo poo will hit the loving fan if people bitch. Only once did I call up with a complaint, and that was to a pizza place who (1) gave away my order to the wrong person and (2) screwed up the replacement pizza. I normally wouldn't have made a bad call about it, but when your 20 minute wait stretches to an hour, gently caress it.

I hate those little cards Michael's and Walgreens and everyone is pushing these days. Albertsons' smartest move ever was getting rid of their cards.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The worst part is the waiting.

My friend is a driver for a delivery company and apparently she pissed off some gods this week: on Wednesday someone hit her delivery car (company owned). Not her fault. That's good! Bad is that she hit someone yesterday with her rental van. That's bad. So two accidents in two days. She's pretty shaken up that she'll be fired for this. Doesn't help that the head manager is out of town for a month either.

Good news: the cop either felt bad for her, or the guy whose car she hit convinced him to go easy on her, because he didn't ticket her. It was a partial fender bender when everyone on the road hit their brakes at once.

However, since this was a rental car she hit up (both cars are, I think, driveable after), she is paranoid about having to pay for the rental and was told to take the next few days off work to calm down. The step-in manager can't give her any info about the probability of her having a job after this, what will happen to the rental car, etc.

Other than losing her job, she doesn't have the points on her license to worry about, or her own insurance rates going up. No one was hurt in either accident. Technically, from a manager POV, since she wasn't ticketed for the second one, this would just be bad luck of getting into two accidents in two days. Which is probably a fireable offense? Anyone here a delivery driver?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To lie or tell a Tell.

My friend is a delivery driver and got into an accident a few weeks back. It was her fault (she rear-ended someone) but the cop did not cite her, mostly because it would affect her job. She told her assistant manager about the incident, filed the claim with their insurance guys, told the rental van people the true story (fun fact: her original van was hit by someone a day previous. She got the rental van the next day.), but her manager, the head honcho, the guy who decides if she keeps delivering or gets fired, is out of town.

So far most everyone in the place knows she got into an accident. Only a few know the details. Details the assistant manager has supplied, that she and the other car were in other lanes, were in each other's blind spots, and collided. The assistant manager will see the head manager first when he gets back and has told her not to worry about this, he'll tell the head boss that it was an honest mistake, blind spots and all.

This will, in theory, save her job. She and the assistant manager have never had issue with each other and he knows the head manager well. On the other hand, she's petrified and keeps telling me she doesn't want to get fired for lying. The police did not take an official report as neither driver was cited, and it's highly unlikely anyone will check with the rental company's insurance to verify stories. That said, I've advised her just to be honest and lose what her assistant manager says is a sympathy ploy.

On one hand, friend tells a lie that may or may not become verified, and keeps her job. Confesses she was technically at fault and likely loses her job. Is there any reason she should NOT do the latter?

Damnit, between this friend and the one who works 40 hours a week for free at her friend's video store, I need some new friends...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

wav3form posted:

The reason to not do the latter is so she can keep earning a paycheck. Business is all about shifting blame when it saves your own skin.

This I know, after working retail for loving years. I'm more worried if the head boss finds out somehow about the coverup, so to speak. On one hand, my friend was extremely distraught after the accident (to the point the assistant manager told her to take a day or two off to calm down) and it's 'totally possible' she said something wrong or that wasn't entirely truthful. I told her the only real issue, aside from lying, is that on the weird off chance her boss talks to the rental car guys, he might get another story. The punishment then might be worse.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't get how people can get out the doors with poo poo like that. The BestBuys around me seem to have cameras everywhere and a guard at the front door who checks your bag all the time, plus the detectors up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To those following my story of my friend working 40 hours a week for free: she's getting paid now, she says. She still gets picked up and dropped off from work by her friend-boss but she says at least now she's getting paid. She also has upped her work hours to seven days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day.

Not because the pay is great. Because he is OMG her awesome friend who is doing her SUCH a huge favor letting her work for him! Oh, and she doesn't want to deal with her parents, who ask her for rent money. So her plan, so far, it seems is to barely be at the house, work nonstop, and at some point....move out? No, no, she can't move out. But apparently working 60 hours a week now and getting paid for at least some of it is a step up, right?

She says I just don't understand how utterly insanely awesomely important this store is. Apparently I don't. And no, I have no desire to leave my job to work with and for her totally awesome friend.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So my friend (not the one who works for free) the delivery driver just called me in tears. At the start of April she was on the clock, driving in a company vehicle, and was hit by another car. Not her fault. The company, however, is debating whether or not the accident was preventable. If they decide it wasn't, she is docked several points on her license and loses her job.

Preventable. A truck came out of a metered parking zone and hit her broadside. Somehow that is preventable. Maybe if she had called in sick that day?

I told her to take it up with HR. She is so drat furious right now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hm. Surely there is an issue if an employee is cited for something but said employee never received information about the citing rules? My delivery driver friend will get points docked on her license for being in two accidents, though neither were her fault (one was preventable, the other someone hit her). Her boss and their bosses can't find the handbook that says how many points or if she gets to keep her job, and no one ever mentioned this poo poo in orientation.

Something for HR to deal with?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I might be having to go back into retail. :( It's a tossup but right now I am frantically sending out resume after resume to warehouse or stocking jobs. Anything but back at the front counter.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I actually got a call from a hospital today, and have an interview set for Monday. O_O I've applied for several jobs over the past month, just in vague worry due to rumors milling around the company about people being let go for whatever reason, and also due to an accident in my work vehicle, and half forgot about this one. I'd be working at a switchboard graveyard shift at one of two hospitals. ....any advice for me? The HR lady sounded very nice and detailed everything save for the pay and shifts.

Has anyone here worked at a switchboard and how did you like it?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kaninrail posted:

People are pretty abusive to operators.. but then, they're pretty abusive to retail people too, and the job is a lot easier and usually has less rear end in a top hat managers, because it's pretty hard to tell someone to answer the phones faster.

I technically have a drat good job for retail; I don't work in the store direct but deliver things store to store so I don't deal with customers much. But it seems bad luck has hit my coworkers in the past month: one coworker got into two accidents in two days, another got dinged by a red-light camera and has to pay a big ticket, and I myself got into a preventable accident. Another accident or red-light or anything on my record and I'm done driving for the company, possibly forever. I do love my job and the benefits are great, but there's the issue if I do gently caress up again, I might be forced back into a store, if any of them are hiring.

Then there's rumors around that a driver is being fired/let go/quitting but no one knows who, so everyone is on edge; the managers aren't saying a word otherwise.

I don't know. If the hospital offers me more money, I might have to go that way. They're also a lot closer to my house, and if all else failed, after a year my driving record would be cleared with the company I work with now, so I could always chance going back.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For all the poor guys who have to work today for Mother's Day serving bitches who feel entitled that it's Mother's Day, my mom says good luck. We went out to dinner today to a nice buffet and relaxed and Sunday is going to be hell for pretty much all restaurant workers. I hope time goes by fast for you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I have the worst headache in the world and an interview today to do hospital switchboard work. It's overnight and part of me is is very nervous. I loving love my delivery job but if I get hit by a red-light camera or anything of the kind then I lose it. So it's good behavior and luck for a year or gone for good. I don't know if I should be excited or not, chances are this is just a routine interview.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My coworker got a ticket when he went through an intersection on a yellow light; he was more than halfway through when it changed to red and he got dinged. That particular city he was in doesn't have countdowns on the crossing walk lights and the intersection he got hit at is apparently very profitable for the city, so they don't want to add the countdown. Also driving around several cities, some have the countdowns and once the hand hits 0, yellow light for a second and then red, others the yellow light is on for a few seconds.

It is worrisome because I had a no-fault accident recently and company policy is that you can have one infraction, ticket, accident, etc, in a year period without being let go from the driving position.

Lately I have been super careful about lights, speeds, and everything else, but there is no appeal process and you're off driving for this company for life if you gently caress up, apparently. Something I wish they had mentioned during driving training.

The second deal is if you can't drive anymore, you have to take a job in the retail store, if any stores are hiring. And the third deal is that you often have no clue about the tickets since it takes the cities up to a month to mail them out to you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember working at McDonald's and being told my raise was going to be nice. 8 cents nice. About that time I realized raises meant nada.

At work recently the corp sent out anonymous surveys to see what employees think of the company. The lowest scores came in for rewards/acknowledgment. The company asked in a second survey what could be done so everyone felt valued and rewarded. Raises, increases in pay or vacation hours, etc, was the pretty much standard answer. They wanted to hear more along the lines of a certificate on nice paper, maybe with foil embossing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Amen to the smoke breaks. If you're a smoker and a manager is too, brilliant! Now you're their buddy, especially if they can bum a cancerstick or light off you.

At my old pet store job, the stockers and managers were always great buddies because they'd all take an extra smoke break every hour or two.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

silversiren posted:

I absolutely hate my loving job. I really do. It's sucking the life and soul out of me and sending me back into the spiraling depression I tried to hard to get out of.
I have been looking every single day for a new or a second job but either no one is hiring or I don't have the experience. Living in this house is driving me nuts because of the constant emotional abuse and I'm not sure how much longer I can stand it, honestly. I have no other outs besides getting a full-time job (highly unlikely) or killing myself (probable?).

Are there no goons around you who could help? I'd say you can crash here, but I doubt you're in AZ, and our spare room has mice.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some while ago someone posted a mockup resume for TShields. Anyone have that template still?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember working the shipping counter in my old store. Now there are two ways to ship: Ground, which is 4-5 business days, or Overnight/2Day, which is what is sounds like. People would come in with their box, no airbill form filled out, and want the prices for every service. Not too bad, but after they decided, they still had to fill out the paperwork.

Standard procedure indicated you give them the airbill, they step off to the side, and you help the next customer.

Standard procedure failed at the holiday rush, or when more than one person 'just wanted the rates' and had multiple boxes that you had to check individually, OR when you had a line of people 'just wanting the rates' and a lack of counter space. So a new system came into place: you want the rates, fine. Pick your price, then get OUT of line to fill out the paperwork, and have your turn again. Especially if you picked the wrong paperwork, because yes, we use each one differently.

People would get so pissed that they had to wait in line again. Unfortunately, yes, if you have six boxes that are going to six different addresses, you need an airbill for each. No, you can't write the address on the box and that be enough. We need an airbill per address, and if you have six boxes going to the same address, we can make paper copies. If we had three or four people all filling out paperwork and the line of people with filled-out airbills kept coming, the real issue was finding who was where in line, especially with the pickup time cut-off present.

I can totally understand just wanting to know the prices before you make a decision, but at the same time, gasp, that is why we have a rate calculator online and also a 1-800 number for rates. Of course people underestimate weights and box sizes all the time too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yes, what a horrible bitch for realizing that she'd probably be out the door/have her hours cut as soon as a replacement is found. gently caress her for trying to scrape together some cash before she can't actually work.

Well, it depends. Does she show up to work the next day with no signs of giving birth?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My friend got into a car accident back in April of this year in the company vehicle. Her boss was out of town at the time, but everything seemed to work out fine. Now her boss is out of town again and she just got an envelope from an insurance company, dated a few days prior to the accident, calling for her to pay a $4000 bill since she hit the other driver.

Now, this seems fishy to me. Since she was in a company vehicle she should be covered by their insurance and no one has ever mentioned to her that she would be liable to pay, personally, for the damages. Plus this is three months after the accident. The standing-in manager has no idea about this and just tells her to wait and see if anyone else contacts her. Of course, a $4000 bill weighing over her head is making her paranoid and panicky.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A different driver friend of mine is likely being let go. He was hit by one of the left-turn cameras around here, and back in March he was hit with a speeding camera. Two strikes and you're out.

He's trying to get a job in retail now. I hope he can.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Noitaroballoc posted:

You work at a coffee shop and don't know what a latte or Americano is? Those aren't Starbucks-specific terms, they're proper names for coffee drinks. Do you have different names for all the drinks at Tims?

When I worked in a pet store I got poo poo like this a LOT. People would come in and ask me any of the following questions:

How can I get my cockatiels to breed?

What temperature will my gopher snake hibernate at?

My son needs to breed mice for a school project, how can we make sure all the babies are a certain color?

What kind of fish will eat the other fish poo poo so I don't need to change the water?

What is the difference between a gopher and corn and rat snake?

How do I breed my gerbils?

How do I sex my oscars?

How do I breed discus?

What other fish are native where my tetras are from?

All simple questions but let's be real: for minimum wage, no one is going to go home and research all that poo poo and then be a walking encyclopedia who makes the other employees look bad. Except for me. I did that for MONTHS before I realized I was being stupid. It looked like I was getting personal phone calls all the time because customers would call with some esoteric question, the cashier would page me by name, and I'd end up in a twenty minute discussion on how to set up your new tortoise tank.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just spent an hour on the phone with an old friend who works at the zoo I used to. She's been there for at least ten years and worked fulltime at Staples and part-time at the zoo when I was there, but was offered fulltime at the zoo with Benefits. She quit Staples right off.

Now she's in the gift shop making poo poo wages and her medical insurance co-pays go up every month. I wanted to ask her if she regrets leaving Staples, but that seemed like a lovely thing to ask.

But there is bittersweet at learning about my old job. I worked in a very small 30 tank aquarium there some four years ago, and I was largely unsupervised. This was great by me, but unfortunately my boss would stop by, stressed about her other work, and would say things looked fine, never asked about the cleaning or feeding regiment, would stock the tanks with terrible animals, and come review time would throw me under the bus saying I refused to listen to orders and generally was a bitch.

I left a while after that. The boss B left to work on a cheetah rescue outside the country. She is now back, in the huge new aquarium I was once promised to work in (and slowly the promise worked down to 'maybe' and then to 'it's up to the new curator' to 'we'd love you to work in the gift shop.' And apparently it's rare for anyone to stay in the new buildings for more than a few months. B isn't the head boss, she's third in command, and that bodes no well for her personality. So there's the head boss, his wife, and B, and a bunch of aquarists who are either lying about what goes on and why animals die, or someone is.

I suppose I can look at that as a fallback option in case I lose my job (and with two other drivers leaving or being fired, I'm paranoid about it too) but goddamnit. Just drat it.

And the owner of the zoo makes money hand over fist, refuses to pay anyone new over 8 bucks an hour when the minimum wage is 7 something, and won't classify anyone new as anything but seasonal to avoid giving them benefits.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't drink coffee and the pictures of the cups there just reinforced it.

Anyway, another discussion with my friend who works at the game store. Her new explanation is that she works every day because they have a game system there she doesn't have at home and she can play all the new games in between customers. Which I suppose is cool. But then she spent all this week, the boss out of town/taking a week off to see new movies, opening and closing every loving day because the store needs it. And the other employees come in for a few hours and then leave. Again, she isn't being paid for all the hours she works, but it's okay because she wants the store to succeed and she gets to play games all day.

Maybe I just need to accept the fact she enjoys working for no money, but for playing games all day and night, rather than be around enough to even talk with me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't get it either. When I volunteered at the zoo it was at least to get experience with exotic animals.

But if you asked her, she'd tell you she wants the store and her friend to succeed. She wants him to make oodles of money. She loves being out of the house working for him, even if it is seven days a week, from open to close. She gets home about 1am or so, and is back to work by 9am. I even asked her last night why she won't take a day off, her last one being over two weeks ago, and her response was the usual: the boss/owner/friend needs some time off because he is so stressed about owning his own business, she wants the store to succeed, and she wants to play games all day.

And then once in a while I'll get an email from her about some rpg we have online and how she has so many ideas for it and it'll be so cool and....then nothing for another two weeks because she is so in love with whatever new video game just came out that she gets to play all day for free in between customers. And she doesn't get why I get pissed at her or don't want to chat for a few minutes a night before she 'omg so tired need to open tomorrow and all this week maybe see you in the morning unless im playing catherine again, lol.'

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How far do you drive to work, goons? I ask because my work might be moving about 10 miles down the road, into another town, making it nearly 30 miles to drive one-way. There are plenty of other stores that are closer to me, but none I really want to work at, since my shift time is good and my days off are set.

I recently found out that a drat manager drives almost 40 miles one-way each day. So I guess 30 miles is nothing to whine about.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, that reminds me of my first manager at the copy store, R. He was a nice enough guy and super nice to customers, always passing out discounts, free faxes, free copies, free anything and everything. Of course that meant we were losing money and all one of his favorites had to do was pipe up that they Knew R and he'd appear from the back room to discount poo poo away. Orders that should have been $100 easy were turned down to 30. We had a customer who owned a barber shop and R started going there, which translated to free paper and copies and all for the barber.

Then one day the managers of our store district got a loving trip to the Bahamas. He went with his wife, and this was right after they had their surprise and third kid. This was the start of the spiral down. After the vacation apparently things got rough. R moved out of their house and moved in with a bunch of other bachelor managers while he paid child support and the divorce worked out. At some point he got busted with a DUI, and the second time he was kept over the weekend in the hold tank. The same weekend he was to cover my shift and I got a call while in another loving state that work needed me back asap.

R got out on work release but still spent time in jail. Funny how he would brag about parts of it and customers who were vocally against DUIs would turn their mind around when good old discounting R said what he was in for. Eventually poo poo caught up to him when we failed another audit; apparently we had been for some time but he never told us what to correct, so we kept doing it wrong for months. No improvements, fired R.

We had a month without a manager while a new one was sorted. During that month our profits went sky because every one of R's customers were told he wasn't with the company anymore, and yes, they had to pay full price. One or two came back after that and were always disappointed to see the discounts were still gone.

No idea where R is now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When I worked at the zoo, I lost count of how many people came with their dogs, either on a leash or in their purse, and they were shocked that their dogs couldn't go into a zoo full of loving wild animals that can't be vaccinated against poo poo like parvo or rabies. But no, their dogs are all super well behaved and won't chase the free range peacocks either! And when denied finally, most of them would scream, and lock the dog in the car. I live in Arizona. Most people come to the zoo in the spring. Dog in a locked car when outside temps are nearing 95 or higher. Take a guess what happens.

edit: I am now tempted to take one of my snakes to the grocery store to see how long it takes before someone kicks me out. My Kenyan sand boas are about two feet long so there is no danger of them attacking someone. I wonder how long I'd last if I took one to the mall or to an upscale clothing boutique.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh, the reasoning would go that their precious dog never leaves their side and always goes with them and why are we so opposed to their precious dog seeing wild animals?

Like I said, because no one can loving vaccinate tigers or wild dogs or most any zoo exotic from poo poo like parvo or rabies, and yes, precious dogs can carry both, let alone parasites and poo poo.

If you're going to Petsmart, fine, take your dog. Whole Foods? You don't need your loving dog to go with you unless it's a service animal. Stop being a pill or at least stop loving staring at me when I take a boa constrictor in. Next phase in plan, borrow a boa constrictor...

Here is a more recent, not-dog one from a friend who works in a copy and print store: there is a customer who always has boxes delivered to her work. The boxes are of envelopes with copies in them, tall envelopes like manila ones, that have to stand up vertically. The boxes the envelopes are packed into weigh close to 50 pounds when full, and because the envelopes are so tall, the box can't be closed. So when the customer wants the boxes delivered, a happy courier gets to ferry three boxes, at most, at a time up and down the service elevators in a 35+ story building. The boxes are always open, and any courier who picks up this order is told repeatedly that if any envelope is creased or bent, the customer will want them all redone. You cannot close any of the boxes for any reason, can't stack the boxes so you can deliver more at a time, etc.

So one day a courier heads in and there are twenty loving boxes there. None of them can be stacked because all the boxes are open. There wasn't enough room in the delivery truck to fit all the boxes with the dollies, and the parking garage at the customer's work was packed. The courier complained about what should have been a ten minute delivery taking over a loving hour; he had to load and deliver and unload every box without getting a smidge of dirt on any of the pristine white envelopes. When he was telling my friend about this poo poo, one of the copy center employees tore into him for not being a 'team player' and bitching about doing his job. He also said that this was what the customer wanted, and since her account is worth so much, if anyone wants to be a driver, they run the risk of dealing with orders like this.

The best part is that technically the couriers are only supposed to take secured boxes, and the copy center knows this. The employees at that copy center even told the couriers in the store general that if they DID secure the boxes with lids, there would be twice as many boxes and you still couldn't stack them for fear of crushing something.

At this point I am wondering just why the store employees were being so pissy to the drivers. The drivers were up in arms, the store employees kept saying the drivers need to do their loving jobs and not complain, and it sounds like a fun place to vent.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, day off. How many people get called to come in to work on their day off? Or worse, like in this case, yesterday I told my coworker to give me a ring if they needed help. And when I didn't get a call in the morning, I decided to go do things. I get a phone call an hour later, and again two hours later, and then an hour ago. Part of me thinks I need to just buck up and go in; I did say I'd help if I could, but goddamnit do they have to wait until after I've started the day off to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yay a store complained about me today when I did a delivery! Never mind the store had no parking lot to park in, it being repaved. Never mind that I needed to deliver two small bags there. Never mind there was no safe place to park or leave the van. I called the store while in a fire truck parking zone and asked for someone to come out and pick up the delivery.

The manager was rather upset and wanted to know why he had to do my job for me. After some discussion he came out, walked around the barricaded lot, and took the bags. He told me in the future to go around the back to the alley and leave things there. Okay!

So a few hours later I head back with more deliveries, to the alley, where they have a locked door. I see a fellow employee see me, we meet gazes, and she carefully opens the door, and as I get out of the van, she closes it, safely inside. Leaving me locked out.

Pissed, I leave the boxes in the alley, and as I drive off, I phone the store, and the manager tells me he knows the boxes are there, he saw me deliver them.

He then emails and calls my boss to say I abandoned boxes in his back alley, was rude and lazy, how inconvienent it was that he had to leave his store to pick up an order, etc.

Yes, I shouldn't have gotten pissed at the employees for leaving me locked out, yes I should have knocked, no I shouldn't have left the boxes without someone taking them from my hands, but loving hell, it is you doing my job for ME to pick up some bags when you have no parking lot and I have nowhere to park the delivery car? Then again this isn't the first time I've had issues with this store. So I guess we'll see tomorrow if I get a writeup because of unprofessional behaviors toward coworkers.

I still want to find the employee who met my gaze and locked me out.