Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I recently was hired by the grocery chain, Giant Eagle. Even though I wasn't hired to do so, they seem to have me cashiering more often than not.

I hate everyone.

From not understanding the basic physics of the loving belt to put their groceries on, to bitching about differences in price never amounting to more than $.10, to requesting paper bags for the World's Most Annoying Orders like 10 bottles of (ironically) smart water and a loaf of bread thus requiring 42 bags because more than one bottle or slice of bread makes the bags "too heavy", to never remembering their advantage card and "can you please hold up everyone in line behind me while you go look it up for me so I can save $.04 on these potato chips teehee", to every loving thing else these idiots and assholes do in a non-stop order after order continual basis to make my life as difficult as possible. gently caress each and every one of them.

A 6 hour shift as a cashier feels like days. I had to work am 8 hour shift last weekend and thought I was going to blow my brains out. Once, just once, I'd like to have a customer that doesn't cause me some kind of stress.

With every customer that passes through my line, another part of my soul dies. The only good thing about my job is the company I work for, which is a rare compliment to have in a retail thread. But Jesus Christ does the General Public suck the life right of you or what. loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I hate every single person that comes through my line at the grocery store and doesn't have their "advantage card" with them for whatever loving reason. Especially when there's a line 4 deep and they want me to look their card up for them to get their points and save 20 cents off their purchase that totals $10. gently caress you.

And for gently caress's sake can the people going through the line of the register behind me stay out of my loving space please?? Jesus Christ you faggots I have a 4x2 foot area that I have to stay in for 8 hours of my day. I swear to god my blood absolutely boils every time I take a half step in any direction and bump into a customer going through the line behind me. They always unload their car in the most retarded way and then use my space to stand in while getting their cart situated to where they'd like it.

And I know this is a personal pet peeve that I probably am out of line with, but if you tell me how to bag your groceries you can go gently caress right off and bag them yourself. "Put all the cold stuff together." Well no poo poo you loving asswipe. Thank god you told me that as I was just about to set your gallon of milk atop your bread as I'm obviously so stupid that I need your play-by-play help to get this job done that I do a hundred times a night.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

alreadybeen posted:

The problem is, we don't know if it is you or some total moron, so we have to play it safe :(

I get it. If the customer is nice about it and is PRESENT during the transaction, I don't let it bother me. But usually the people who tell me this have a laundry list of other annoying poo poo that they worry about me doing just right, and then when it comes time to pay they all of a sudden need cigarettes (which are in a locked cabinet on a wall at the opposite end of the registers), or they don't have their advantage card and can I please go look it up, or they decide to pay with a check but don't have any part of it filled out yet let alone out of their purse, etc. All of this while holding up a line 5 carts deep--the very line they just waited in doing absolutely nothing to prepare for the transaction. Bonus points if they complain about the wait time. It's just customer after customer after customer.

I work at a nicer grocery store chain in a very affluent area. After work the other night I had to run to wal-mart to pick something up. The look in the dead, soul-less eyes of that cashier will haunt me forever. I feel bad for ever complaining about my job. It could be so much worse.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
Twice now in the past 30 days I've had complaints made against me by women who overreact to common occurances and then feel embarrassed about their behavior so they feel the need to try to get me in trouble for it. One woman had screaming children in line at the grocery store, told me to just give her all the groceries so she could bag them herself so that she could get out of there faster, proceeded to bitch at me while bagging her groceries because there needs to be more registers open and why in the world should she have to wait 5 minutes in line at noon on a saturday, and then asks for a manager who she goes to and complains about me...while IN TEARS. Seriously lady??? I did absolutely nothing wrong, but because she was embarrassed by her screaming temper tantrum throwing children she decided to try to get me fired.

gently caress retail.

EDIT: what the gently caress??

The Robins Taley fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 7, 2010

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I hate when people ask me for paper bags for their groceries. I hate it because of their holier-than-thou tone of voice when asking (usually), but mostly I hate it because our bagging area isn't set up for paper bags and so it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Last week, we had a bag shortage. We were completely out of paper bags. All day I waited for some arrogant prick to come into my line, interrupt my greeting (which is usually just "hi, how's it going?") and order me to use paper bags just so I could finally say "sorry, we're out of paper :smug: "

Not one goddamn person asked for paper that whole day. gently caress.

Also had a woman put a leaky bottle of bleach into her cart full of $300 worth of groceries only to FREAK THE gently caress OUT ABOUT IT and declare she didn't want any item at all because she "had to thnk about the lives of her infant child and husband." I can understand maybe not wanting produce that has bleach potentially leaked all over it, but Jesus Christ. It's not arsenic or hemlock you loving loon. It's called water--use it to rinse off whatever you're going to put directly into your mouth and the problem is solved. Bleach will not burn through the plactic wrap and continue through to the cardboard of your Hi-C juice boxes.

Her: I DONT WANT ANY OF THIS!! MY INFANT CHILD!! MY HUSBAND!!!
Me: Uhh...you don't want any of it?
Her: NO!! AND YOU CANT BLAME ME!!!!

She shrieked that last part 5 or 6 times to me, the cashier in front of me who accidentally turned around to see the crazy lady for himself, and my supervisor. The best part was her lamenting about having to find another hour of her time to come back and re-shop for everything. We just put everything right back on the shelves, you crazy twat. Enjoy your bleachy groceries!

She later called and complained about me and lied saying I rolled my eyes at her (not true) and made her feel stupid and that she was overreacting (true). IT'S JUST BLEACH

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

baquerd posted:

Uh, sorry if I have a leaky bottle of bleach in my cart and I don't notice, there's no way in hell I'm buying those groceries, especially if I have an infant to worry about. You don't know bleach didn't soak in around plastic wrap (or that it was liquid tight to begin with), for example. You should have thrown everything out, and you've totally opened the store to major lawsuits.

Come on. I think maybe people think bleach is more harmful than it really is. They put bleach in swimming pools and drinking water. Such a small amount, even for an infant, is not harmful.

Also, I didn't open up the store for lawsuits. I'm just a lowly retail drone working the register. The decision to put items back in shelves doesn't involve me.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
Reason I hate retail? I was scheduled for 39.75 hours this week, including an 8 hour shift on Christmas beginning at 8am. :suicide:

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You're getting at least time and a half, right?

I just found out today that they don't pay us any extra for working on Christmas, so I'll be making state minimum wage that day. Merry Christmas!

They didn't ask any of us if we wanted to work on Christmas, but they make it well known that we are all expected to work weekends and holidays.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I was sweeping up popcorn around the concession stand tonight when a customer, no, "guest" walked up to me to tell me that the butter was out in our butter machines. I was looking down while sweeping and didn't look up at him, but I cheerfully nodded and said "okay, thanks for letting me know!!" Apparently he didn't hear me say this because the next thing I know I feel his hand tap me twice on the shoulder "EXCUSE ME I SAID THE BUTTER WAS OUT IN THIS MACHINE!"

Jesus Christ you rear end in a top hat I loving said okay don't loving touch me. It wasn't even a light, friendly tap either, it was forceful and super rude. What the gently caress??

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
Today a little boy had about 50 seizures in the middle of our concessions lobby. Immediately a co-worker notified the only manager on duty, but he was nowhere to be found for nearly 45 MINUTES. The boy went from being slumped over on his mother, to lying flat and motionless on the floor, to having his limp lifeless body placed into a folding chair retrieved by a co-worker, to being held firmly to the chair by co-workers, his mother, and RANDOM PAYING CUSTOMERS while he continued to seize, again, FOR 45 MINUTES.

Of course I was on register and could do nothing because of the hordes of people walking around a seizing child to fill up their Mountain Dew and get nachos and walk on as though nothing was wrong. I saw at one point the child's mother hold up a cell phone and I assumed she was calling 911, but nobody showed up. Later, the same co-worker who notified the manager said that the mother dropped her cell phone because her hand was shaking so bad and the phone shattered on the floor.

45 minutes after the child started having his seizures, the manager nonchalantly walks out of the back, sees the child and a group of random customers standing around him, smirks and scrunches up his face as though they are all weird for tending to a child in need, continues walking past everybody, goes up to the counter across from them and starts bitching to me and my co-worker about how the counter is filthy and needs to be cleaned. I told him "uhh, you realize that the child behind you has been having seizures for nearly an hour, right? Maybe you should call 911..."

Jesus Christ. Literally complete strangers were standing there with napkins wiping the drool off the face of a child having seizures and this piece of poo poo manager is completely ignoring it and bitching about a counter that has napkins on it. That kid could have loving died.

The EMTs got there and gave the kid oxygen and moved him out of the busy area once he stopped having seizures. The last I saw, the poor little boy was walking out on his own. The EMTs left a huge piece of machinery in the lobby for 3 minutes after they moved the kid away and the manager was all irritated by it and threw his arms up in disgust. It was the most horrible thing I've ever seen and I don't understand how my manager could have been so callous and such a loving rear end in a top hat about it. What a piece of poo poo and I hope he loving dies.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
Uhhhh. As I said, my co-worker IMMEDIATELY went and told the manager what was going on. It's not like he was sitting in the back unaware of what was going on. There aren't any phones out on the floor and they make us put our cell phones in lockers at the beginning of the shift. When a manager is notified that there is a customer having a relatively major medical issue in the middle of the lobby it is assumed that said manager would asses the situation and not stand there like an rear end in a top hat watching a little kid seize. He should have come out and offered whatever assistance he could have provided--which should have been to call 911. He did nothing and then mocked a seizing child but yeah I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat here. ??????

EDIT: I made several comments to customers and my co-workers to the effect of "What the hell is taking the medics so loving long to get here?" because the manager had been notified and I saw the mother on her phone. All of this, by the way, you could have learned if you had actually read my initial post.

The Robins Taley fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 17, 2011

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

Shnooks posted:

I'm pretty sure if there was a medical emergency going on I would leave the counter, no matter how much I was "stuck" behind there.

I'm trying to say that I realize there is nothing medically relevent either myself or my co-workers or my manager could have done. I'm upset he completely ignored the situation and refused to call 911 for over 45 minutes. I didn't leave the floor to call 911 myself because the only phone that I am aware of is in the manager's office and my co-worker had already told me he notified the manager. We were all complaining about how long the medics were taking and we were shocked when the manager came out to complain about the "mess" and we found out he hadn't even called them yet.

This guy has a long history of being a grade-A douchebag. He makes really inappropriate and racist comments--he asked a girl I work with how her Christmas dinner of "cornbread, fried chicken, and watermelon" was. Another girl I was hired with asked him for permission to carry her cell phone with her while she is out on the floor because her father has Stage 4 cancer and is dying, and he told her, ironically, "if your dad is that bad off he shouldn't be calling you, he should be calling 911."

The Robins Taley fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 17, 2011

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I had a grown man call me over to our movie theatre's ice cream counter to inquire whether or not we carried breast milk ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

elf pr0n posted:

In the past 6 weeks the mall I work at has had a shooting and a fire where everyone had to be evacuated.

Hell ya

Easton?

Actually, I hope you don't work at Easton so that I can be comforted knowing that this type of insanity happens elsewhere.

The Robins Taley fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 11, 2011