Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boondock Saint posted:

Any other goons work for Geek Squad/Best Buy have any advice or knowledge I should know?

This is a bit late and I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but the single best thing you can do is not promise time frames or guarantee the successful repair of anything, even if you know you can probably fix it in no time flat, because it will come back to bite you in the rear end in supremely terrible ways far too often.

I'm easily the most experienced IT guy in my store, and because of that I get pulled away for 10,000 different things all over the place, none of which involve actually fixing client computers. Due to this twisted logic the vast majority of actual repair work falls to the rest of my guys. They're not bad at what they do, hell some are genuinely good at it and will become great techs with time, but things I consider easy sometimes go right over their heads and these "easy fixes" will occasionally sit for days before I can get to them.

Don't promise anything, be honest, be decisive. My pet peeve is that some techs will hide themselves away in the repair room (i.e. not be at the front desk checking in clients) and they'll let things sit around waiting for a second opinion from me or another one of my experienced techs even though every sign possible points to a single, definitive answer. If it fails 2 HDD tests and boots to a BSOD that says "Unmountable Boot Volume", go ahead and call it and close the tag.

Also, abandon any hope you have for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU