Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there a consensus on the best amp for apartments these days?

Yamaha thr10ii? Some sort of Katana? Anything else?

I primarily want decent tones and simplicity. And the ability to play along to music on my headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Xabi posted:

I primarily want decent tones and simplicity. And the ability to play along to music on my headphones.

The THR10 is great for this. You can play music through it via its USB connection (if you have it connected to a computer), or via the AUX port (3.5 mm). Having separate volume knobs for your guitar input and the USB/AUX input is very useful. Plus you can use it as an audio interface for recording or amp plugins - although I'm not sure how it stacks up if you compare it a standalone interface like a Focusrite Scarlett or whatever.

I'm still using a first gen model and have been very happy with it for apartment use. I think the sounds from it are pretty good on its own but I also run my pedalboard into it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For home use I now just run my NeuralDSP plugins into a cheap FRFR (full range, flat response, since the plugin is already doing the cab emulation) speaker. Sometimes I'll put my pedal board upfront, sometimes I'll use a MIDI foot controller to control the plugin's pedals. Is this blasphemy?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I use the thr10iiw and am very happy, although I'm pretty uninterested in chasing tones. I will absolutely recommend getting the wireless version for the Bluetooth connection. It's extremely handy to play music from your phone via Bluetooth, and it has doubled as a regular Bluetooth speaker on many occasions. I haven't felt the need to go wireless on the guitar, so I don't know if that is worth it.

I'm sure the katanas do equally well though, and they have a lot more options if you're into that poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yup. laptop with some usable powered speakers. Pedals into the interface. I get anything I want now, tone-wise, and it’s inexpensive or just outright free. Latency is <4ms without any cpu issues. loving crushes. In a way I’m almost disappointed that the weird lusting for more gear is gone.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

my home setup is a distortion pedal into a really old copy of revalver for the cab sim plus some reaper plugins for eq and compression

there's no right or wrong way

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

insane clown pussy posted:

my home setup is a distortion pedal into a really old copy of revalver for the cab sim plus some reaper plugins for eq and compression

there's no right or wrong way

Seriously, whatever gets you the sound you want it doesn't matter

All Amps Are Beautiful

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eh, I'll be contrary and say that the interface and computer setup is wrong for me personally. I don't really have a computer outside work, and I certainly don't want to spend time starting the whole thing up before I can play. I need something where I plug in the guitar, turn the power on and then noise comes out. It's all about what you want from the setup though, I totally get the computer setup, especially if it's your posting station that's always on anyway.

Also, an advantage to the thr10iiw and similar amps is the mobility. I can play Slayer in the garden or park or wherever (with headphones because I'm a coward), which is pretty good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BonHair posted:

Eh, I'll be contrary and say that the interface and computer setup is wrong for me personally. I don't really have a computer outside work, and I certainly don't want to spend time starting the whole thing up before I can play. I need something where I plug in the guitar, turn the power on and then noise comes out. It's all about what you want from the setup though, I totally get the computer setup, especially if it's your posting station that's always on anyway.

Also, an advantage to the thr10iiw and similar amps is the mobility. I can play Slayer in the garden or park or wherever (with headphones because I'm a coward), which is pretty good.

A committed phoneposter. I can respect that.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Splinter posted:

For home use I now just run my NeuralDSP plugins into a cheap FRFR (full range, flat response, since the plugin is already doing the cab emulation) speaker. Sometimes I'll put my pedal board upfront, sometimes I'll use a MIDI foot controller to control the plugin's pedals. Is this blasphemy?

Yes. Report for your ritual public flogging tomorrow morning at dawn, you filthy heretic.

I have a cheapo tube amp for the novelty but most of the time I play through an HX Stomp XL or the Helix plugin. Owns bones. My favorite part is getting killer new pedals and amps for free every few months, like, incredibly consistently - it recently got a feedbacker, the last pedal I was gasing for.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Tonex One showed up today. It sounds good and DIY machine learning modelling is extremely cool, but dealing with an extra app can be a hassle and I can see people preferring the more self-contained IR-2 or HX Stomp over this.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

What is it, exactly? You set up the model on your computer and load it into the pedal? Doesn't seem to much in the way of controls on the actual pedal.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

AndrewP posted:

What is it, exactly? You set up the model on your computer and load it into the pedal? Doesn't seem to much in the way of controls on the actual pedal.

Yeah and you can load presets other people have recorded and mess with them on the app.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Remember the iStomp? The one that ended up being completely unusable after an iOs update? It's that but on the block chain.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Armacham posted:

Yeah and you can load presets other people have recorded and mess with them on the app.

so its a daw with a footswitch or am i misunderstanding

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

so its a daw with a footswitch or am i misunderstanding

It runs models of amps and stuff taken by other Tonex users specifically, not just like any VST. This is basically a mini version of the Tonex pedal I think, you hook it up to your signal chain* and it makes a model of that specific setup and then it can simulate that exact setup later. This is as opposed to something like the Helix where the company designs simulations of each pedal/amp by hand, and it simulates all the knobs and parameters and stuff. Like with Tonex you can simulate specifically That Rockstar's Exact Signal Chain very precisely, but you can't e.g. swap a tube screamer for a RAT in your simulated chain to see how it sounds, you'd need to go find a new model or make one with real equipment.

*: non-modulation pedals only

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have tried the 5150III EL34 in several modelers, that is my only experience with it. That said, it always sounds different in a way I really, really like compared to the regular 6L6 amp and I already like that a lot (I know, it's like saying Coca-Cola is your favorite soft drink). I like it so much I'm considering buying the real thing. Has anyone had any real world experience with it versus the original and noticed this? Might just do it anyhow and return if I don't get the same vibe, although returning heavy amps sucks.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 5, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have the real thing never used a modeller but i can say the amp itself is absolutely kickass. One of the few amps I use that I just plug directly into because it's got all the gain and tone I need right on tap!!

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

the last band i was in we rented a practice space that had the peavey version (6534 or something like that)

pretty much sounded exactly like what it is, a heavily modded jcm. i think the evh ones are a little more scooped and fizzy modern sounding though, but that's the case in general with them

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No opinion on the specifics, but if you found the amp that has The Sound, you should probably get it if you have the cash. Only slight issue is about the volume, modellers can get quiet, but I'm pretty sure the evh amps don't, so only get them if you have a proper rehearsal space.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BonHair posted:

No opinion on the specifics, but if you found the amp that has The Sound, you should probably get it if you have the cash. Only slight issue is about the volume, modellers can get quiet, but I'm pretty sure the evh amps don't, so only get them if you have a proper rehearsal space.

or get an attenuator (an actual attenuator not a volume pot in the FX loop)

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Xabi posted:

I also have a first gen THR10, it sounds amazing and it's perfect for simple bedroom playing. After you dial in your 5 presets there is no more knob fiddling, just straight to practice. A Katana could also do it, but at a much bigger size and a bit more option paralysis.

The new Line 6 POD Express might also suit, if you're a headphone player. LOTS of options though. Nothing as simple and versatile as a THR.

I messed with a Boss Dual Cube LX and it was nice enough after a tweak of the system wide EQ and deep editing with a computer. For the price, still doesn't beat a THR10 gen 1 or 2.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thanks yall. I have a Captor X already so I may just pull that trigger.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I have a Fender FR-12 FRFR speaker coming this week to pair with my HX Stomp. Hope it's as good as everyone says!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

My tech posted a good write up with pictures of my 69 Bassman

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Armacham posted:

My tech posted a good write up with pictures of my 69 Bassman

Tell your tech that they loving rule for, on top of all the actual interesting info, using the up to date "black panel" terminology rather than the embarassing as gently caress old name.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

the last band i was in we rented a practice space that had the peavey version (6534 or something like that)

pretty much sounded exactly like what it is, a heavily modded jcm. i think the evh ones are a little more scooped and fizzy modern sounding though, but that's the case in general with them

The peavey 5150 / 6505 > EVH 5150iii has a weird lineage. As i understand it the 5150 circuit is derived from a soldano SLO one right down to a few distinctive componant choices giving the game away (side note, so are mesa rectifiers, so that SLO preamp basically shaped the sound of high gain guitar since the 90s). But then the EVH (fender) iii version takes the name, branding and broad inspiration but is actually a different amp internally from the peavey 5150-now-6505

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

mike soldano's claim that everyone and their brother ripped him off would hold more water if randall smith and james brown didn't both have a bunch of high gain amp designs to their names years before the slo came out, which also happen to share a lot of circuit topology with the amps he says were lifted from him

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mike soldano's claim that everyone and their brother ripped him off would hold more water if randall smith and james brown didn't both have a bunch of high gain amp designs to their names years before the slo came out, which also happen to share a lot of circuit topology with the amps he says were lifted from him

Which James Brown pre-5150 or Randall Smith amp had the insane cold clipping stage and tweaks to coupling cap values?

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Which James Brown pre-5150 or Randall Smith amp had the insane cold clipping stage and tweaks to coupling cap values?

the jcm800 :colbert:

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

amplifier design in a nutshell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzOhq3-3d90&t=1452s

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Decidedly not insane compared to 37kOhm or whatever Mike was smoking when he accidentally did that. As I recall it doesn’t change much, harmonically, after like 20k but Godspeed borther.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This feels a bit apocryphal. Controlling bass early in gain staging was very, very well known to James or anyone with a passing interest in amp design. High gain circuits demand massive early bass cuts. James’ innovation wasn’t to turn down the input cap, 22uF bypass cap is something you find in an Orange. The Marshalls he was working from had 470pf bypass caps with almost no bass at all. There’s no loving way he was going to not cut the bass back it was a question of how much. Soldano allows a little more beef at about 1.5-2uF on the input stage as does Brown (5150) and Smith (Recto). He literally copied Mike Soldano’s input stage, added a gain stage and then made subtle tweaks for eq.

It’s just a fun story.

Edit: put another way he did not present Eddy with a high gain amp that had a 22uF input cap. Full stop. Anyone who has subbed one in at that position in a high gain amp knows it sounds like absolute dogshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Fender FR-12 FRFR speaker came in.

I own no actual tube amps to compare it to, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but it sounds good to me when paired with my HX Stomp. I'm using the full amp + cab sims, and if I crank it up it sounds like an any other amp I've used. It gets plenty loud, has plenty of low end, EQ knobs right on top, and even legs to tilt it up.

The biggest knock is the lack of plug-and-play simplicity that would come with a real amp. That's a decent tradeoff for having a vast collection of amps, cabs, and effects at my disposal.

Also there was some consternation about an audible "hiss" the initial models were making, but I have listened and can't hear a thing.