Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

muike posted:

I've never played a Soldano irl but I can confirm this mini one is one of the gnarliest sounding high gain solid state amps I've ever used. It definitely likes some guitars more than others though, my lower tuned guitars sounded best

That jives. The Soldano SLO is pretty much the gold standard for a vicious sounding high gain amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Turkey Farts posted:

I kinda want all of them

Boss Katana

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've played an SLO a few times and yes, they loving rule. I want to give the SLO30 and Mini a crack too. My Jet City satisfies that itch for me and it was AU$300 instead of AU$5000 so I'm happy with that. But yeah, SLOs are amazing. Also the basis of the 5150.

There's so many stupidly good amps out there. If you ever get a chance to try a SLO-like amp through a Mesa Oversized 412 please do. The grind, thump and sheer face melting goodness.

Gonna get a Mesa some time tho. Because, well, Mesa.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Gonna get a Mesa some time tho. Because, well, Mesa.

I got paranoid about Gibson loving up Mesas and bought a MkV 35 Watt when the sale was announced and I have no regrets because now I have a Mesa and it's awesome. So much tone to chase just plugging direct in, let alone with pedals.

Plus I can bring it to my jamband friends and metalhead friends and itll sing in both situations!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I love my mini mark v it's a good little amp

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

My Triple Crown 100 is the most versatile amp I’ve ever played. Mesa rules

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I love my mini mark v it's a good little amp

I just looked this up and now I want one. Looks like they stopped making them though?

I love mini tube heads!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Red_Fred posted:

I just looked this up and now I want one. Looks like they stopped making them though?

I love mini tube heads!

I dont think they're discontinued. They're still listed on the Mesa site and they're in stock at sweetwater. I'm assuming by "mini mark v" you're talking about a mark v 25w, but maybe you're looking at something else?

E: speaking of mesa amps, anyone ever use a DC-5? I see them come up on craigslist for pretty cheap occasionally and they sound kind of dope in the few videos I can find. Looks to be a sort of stripped down mark series? Not really sure but I'm always tempted when I see a mesa for less than a grand.

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 7, 2022

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I have a DC-3 and it sounds fine but is very unreliable. Each channel is completely independent, which is nice having different EQs and reverb settings for clean and drive, but they packed a lot of stuff into a small space and the power section gets flaky. I’ve had it repaired a couple times but the problem eventually comes back. I would have trouble trusting it for a gig and would rather get something basic like a Hot Rod Deluxe and a couple extra pedals to add in the tonal variety.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I wonder if thats why they go for so cheap. I've seen em on craigslist in my area for as low as $500.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

E: speaking of mesa amps, anyone ever use a DC-5? I see them come up on craigslist for pretty cheap occasionally and they sound kind of dope in the few videos I can find. Looks to be a sort of stripped down mark series? Not really sure but I'm always tempted when I see a mesa for less than a grand.
I plugged my JEM into one at an open mic night back around '00. I loved it! It had great projection, killer highs, it didn't seem too woofy. It didn't present much gain but loved a gain boost in front. I thought about that amp a lot but had eventually forgotten about it until you mentioned it here. I only had it for 10-15 minutes but it definitely made a good impression.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I dont think they're discontinued. They're still listed on the Mesa site and they're in stock at sweetwater. I'm assuming by "mini mark v" you're talking about a mark v 25w, but maybe you're looking at something else?

Yeah I mean the mark 5:25. The lil 2 channel lunchbox. There's also the 5:35 combo

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I mean the mark 5:25. The lil 2 channel lunchbox. There's also the 5:35 combo

Yeah that guy. Doesn’t seem to be available locally and not many on Reverb.
I assume I would need to buy a 240v version anyway, so buying one from Reverb is likely a no-go.

In reality I do not need another tube amp when I can’t even use my AD15 currently anyway.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I bought an avatar 2x12 cabinet. I bought two 12inch greenback 8 ohm Speakers in them. Wired then in series for 16 ohms. It sounds so good.

Did I do a dumb thing by not getting 2 16s and wiring them in parallel?

Dumb as in “most convenient for long term use” with attenuators and load boxes and the such.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The only bad thing about series is that if one goes out, the next one will too, and tube amps can burn out if there's no load on them. But it's a good habit to cut the power if you lose sound in any case.

Otherwise, no, it shouldn't matter.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Captain Apollo posted:

I bought an avatar 2x12 cabinet. I bought two 12inch greenback 8 ohm Speakers in them. Wired then in series for 16 ohms. It sounds so good.

Did I do a dumb thing by not getting 2 16s and wiring them in parallel?

Dumb as in “most convenient for long term use” with attenuators and load boxes and the such.

Depends on the output impedance on your head. 2 16 ohm speakers in parallel would look like be 8 ohms to your head. You want to match the output of your head to the input of your cab.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
All my heads can do 8 or 16 ohms it seems!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Those are two different impedances though. So if you have 2 16 Ohm speakers in parallel you would connect that to your 8 Ohm output. If you had one 16 Ohm speaker, you'd connect it to 16 ohms. Like the above poster said you just have to match impedances, don't think of all the individual parts, just calculate the impedance of the speakers you're using and match it to the correct output.

If you're mismatching, always remember high (Ohms) into low (Ohms), you're amp will blow! Low into high, you're notes will fly!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So I have the two 8s wired in series to make 16.

Maybe if I could do it all over again I’d do two 16s in parallel I guess.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Nah, just get another 16 ohm cab and build up that Speaker Wall

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

100 Watt tube head for a bedroom rig - NO ATTENUATOR - or you're a poser

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Kvlt! posted:

100 Watt tube head for a bedroom rig - NO ATTENUATOR - or you're a poser

Literally doing this now but it has a master volume so I'm cheating

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Literally doing this now but it has a master volume so I'm cheating

My first ever amp was an Orange Rockerverb MKIII which is 100 Watts but also has a master. Used to love plugging it into a 4x12 and cranking it when nobody was home until it shook dust from the ceiling and I got suspicious of the ceilings structural integrity lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The most ridiculous thing I've done, just once to see how it was, was setting up a three way setup. A 50W Hiwatt into a 412, a 100W Bassman into a 212 and a 100W AC100CPH into a 212. All cranked.

I got about four chords strummed before I just knew the cops were gonna show up.

It loving ruled tho.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Listen,

My Marshall SV20Hand Avatar 2x12 cabinet with green back speakers is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself sonically.

I got advice when I was younger that good amps make you sound better than good guitars but for some reason I’ve. Ever had a Marshal even though I’ve never ever been big on a Fender cleans.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha MARSHALL AND A LES PAUL so good. Don’t care if it’s loud even at 5w. haven’t even plugged in a tube screamer yet so I can’t wait to hear it.

I DID purchase a Captor X in 8ohm variety to record the SV20H into my DAW. Yes, I switch the input to 8ohm mode on the amp.

Anyway. Buy the captor x, buy the Marshall, play the tubes.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

syntaxfunction posted:

The most ridiculous thing I've done, just once to see how it was, was setting up a three way setup. A 50W Hiwatt into a 412, a 100W Bassman into a 212 and a 100W AC100CPH into a 212. All cranked.

I got about four chords strummed before I just knew the cops were gonna show up.

It loving ruled tho.
I played a dimed JCM800 one day and that was the first time I ever considered just how ineffective exterior home walls can be at containing the fury. My buddy was playing and I walked out to my car and yeah, that was impressive and the cops should have come running.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Looking for some amp advice. I’ve decided after years that my jcm900 is not in fact the amp for me. I was thinking the 800 would work better but I’m not sold on that model. I’m looking for an all tube amp with a crap load of gain. I really want a master volume so I can play with all other dials at 10. I also really want to be able to line out while the amp is in standby. This is probably my biggest requirement. I’ve been playing through a blackstar ht20 studio combo that I love however none of the blackstar stuff I’ve looked at even has a standby switch. I also don’t care about brands as long as it sounds good and I’m willing to go up to $2500 if I need to (will take a while to save that much) bonus if it’s in a combo unit and still does everything else. I think I’ve become too old to lug a half stack to shows and my kids aren’t old enough to act as roadies yet. Other sources on the net tell me I want a Dumble clone, but I’m not sure. The only effect that I use live is tube overdrive so I’m trying to get it naturally through the amp. The 900 sounds ok on clean with everything cranked. Gives a nice subtle breakup but not aggressive enough for my rock. I doubt it matters, but I’m mainly using a 16k p90. I like to run hot.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you're looking for a poo poo load of gain and the 900 isn't cutting it I don't think an 800 will fare any better honestly.

From the sounds of it you should get a nice amp with loads of gain and a load box honestly. That's gonna be better than compromising on either, especially if you're willing to go up to $2500.

I use that setup for my stuff, with a Torpedo Live, which can also output to a cab if I want. For my high gain stuff I use a Blackstar Series One 50W and I've never found myself wanting.

Otherwise be prepared to drop cash on a Revv Generator or something which will do all that in one, mainly because it has a built in Torpedo loadbox.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Ok, so, hear me out, 5150 Iconic has a power amp mute which makes it silent at the speaker that still outputs via XLR with a speaker emulated out, or a TS output without the speaker emulation. It has SHITLOADS more gain than either the JCM800/JCM900, and a great master volume. Nice clean channel on it too, that overdrives very well with a footswitchable gain boost. I use a 40W 1x12 combo version and love it, loud as hell if needed too. Bonus, $900 new rather than $2500.

Edit: I gotta second the fella below me who notes that you do not really want to think about desiring to play your amp fully dimed out and then just use the master volume. That's a real old school way of thinking about it, worked ok with '80s Marshalls but partly that's because their tone stacks were a particular way in relation to the rest of the circuit, but modern amps generally have very effective tone stack designs that you should get to know better and make good use of.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 29, 2022

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

stoopidmunkey posted:

Looking for some amp advice.

I very seriously doubt a Dumble clone is what you want unless you're an SRV/John Mayer wannabe, which does not sound like this is the case.

Look into Hughes and Kettner and REVV as they are the best sounding amps I can think of that have built in loadbox type thingies.

Also THIS really stood out to me: "I really want a master volume so I can play with all other dials at 10"
This is 100 percent the wrong way to look at things. You have a preconceived notion of what you want your eq settings to be. Don't do this!!! Every amp has different EQ sections, some amps will sound great dimed, some absolutely will NOT. Some amps have the EQ before the first gain stage, some have it post gain, some have active EQs. Always start flat and make your EQ moves with your ears. I would also play with the dirty channel on your 900- those sound awesome if you dial em in right, but in my opinion sound harsh and tubby with everything on 10.

Another question that is just as if not more important is what kind of cab are you using? Cabs make a CRAZY difference.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If you want a crapload of gain, a Dumble Clone is the opposite of what you want.

Sounds to me like a JCM800 with an attenuator (a real attenuator, not a potentiometer in the FX loop) will give you exactly what you want.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
You can also look into a Friedman or a Splawn. They do the hot-rodded Marshall thing better than anyone with basically unlimited gain and really sweet pushed cleans. Super expensive brand new but I see used BEs and Runts come up somewhat frequently within your price range.

Also, maybe a dumb question here but have you tried putting a boost in front of your JCM900? If not, it might be worth giving that a shot before dropping a couple grand on a new amp

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Friedman if you like hi gain British sounds, Revv Genn or EVH 5150 if you like aggressive American metal sounds. Dont get a combo they end up being heavier and harder to move than a separate head plus 1x12 (or 2x12) cab. If volume is a concern Friedman and EVH both have 15/20 watt versions.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

stoopidmunkey posted:

Looking for some amp advice. I’ve decided after years that my jcm900 is not in fact the amp for me. I was thinking the 800 would work better but I’m not sold on that model. I’m looking for an all tube amp with a crap load of gain. I really want a master volume so I can play with all other dials at 10. I also really want to be able to line out while the amp is in standby. This is probably my biggest requirement. I’ve been playing through a blackstar ht20 studio combo that I love however none of the blackstar stuff I’ve looked at even has a standby switch. I also don’t care about brands as long as it sounds good and I’m willing to go up to $2500 if I need to (will take a while to save that much) bonus if it’s in a combo unit and still does everything else. I think I’ve become too old to lug a half stack to shows and my kids aren’t old enough to act as roadies yet. Other sources on the net tell me I want a Dumble clone, but I’m not sure. The only effect that I use live is tube overdrive so I’m trying to get it naturally through the amp. The 900 sounds ok on clean with everything cranked. Gives a nice subtle breakup but not aggressive enough for my rock. I doubt it matters, but I’m mainly using a 16k p90. I like to run hot.

Peavey 5150 II/6505+ or Peavey Invective

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

stoopidmunkey posted:

I have an OG JCM800 and it won’t get the sound you want unless you’re pushing the power section too. The crunch of the EL34’s WITH the preamp section is key. I have a 50watt and I need an attenuator to not rattle the house.

New, I would check out a Marshall Studio Jubilee or Classic. They have DI, and a low power mode. But don’t be fooled by the 20 watt rating, they are LOUD. They have more gain on tap than the originals, and get to that sweat spot at much more manageable levels for recording and live. Come in heads and combos.

But that’s assuming you want the classic Marshall sounds (from classic rock to the 80/90’s “hot rod” sounds).

But that’s assuming you want a Marshall kind of sound. From clean to dirty. What kind of clean sound do you want? What kind of dirt and gain is in your head?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Soldano SLO?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
I'm looking for an amp suggestion. My ideal amp would be: A 4-Ohm head or maybe a very light combo, at least 20W tube (or the solid-state equivalent), can do a very low-gain Marshall sound. Master volume and gain knob would be nice. I can use a pedal to get my dirt but it would be nice not to have to. Don't care about onboard trem/reverb or anything.
I tried out a Peavey Classic 20, that was OK. Seemed loud, but the gain sound wasn't perfect and it only does 8 Ohms, so I held onto my money for now.

For those that are curious: My favorite amp is my Fender Stage112SE, a '90s 160W solid-state amp. It's a Bluesbreaker ripoff, so it was originally an oversized 1x12 combo but I rehoused it and run two speaker cabs (Ampeg 2x10 bass cabs). The drive channel is essentially a built-in Shredmaster/Drivemaster/whatever and I never turn the gain up over 3 or 4, so that's my ideal sound. I guess that would be, like, a maxed-out Bluesbreaker pedal.
Anyways, being that it's in a cabinet that I built, I'm always paranoid that it's going to fall apart when I take it to shows. My other two amps are an Ampeg J12R (15W 1x10, not loud enough and no gain control) or an Epiphone BC30 (30W 2x12, drat is it big and heavy).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Marshall DSL50? Has a 4 ohm output, master volume and definitely does the Marshall thing. I see them used for under a $1000 in my area pretty frequently.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
The Marshall studio series is exactly what you want, comes in three flavours depending on your tonal preference. Studio vintage is Plexi style, lowest gain, 60's vibe. The studio classic is JCM 800 style, does classic rock through reasonably hi gain, and the Jubilee is more modern, higher gain again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What kinda amp/PA setup should I be looking at if I want to run a laptop w/ Live and amp sim plugins rather than an actual amp when playing in a band setting. Garage w/ a live drummer is the max volume I'd be looking for, and portability is preferred (and we don't always have the drummer so sometimes we'll be playing at even lower volumes). Been feeling like experimenting with the tone and looping flexibility of a software setup when playing with other musicians. Also would just be nice to be able to get Tone at lower volumes when I don't want to turn my '65 DRRI up loud enough to get to its sweet spot. I know I could accomplish the latter by just picking up a cheapish modelling amp, but I do already have some nice amp plugins and there's still the looping aspect. I assume there's some all-in-one sort of solution for this where I could just run straight from my audio interface to the speaker (rather than getting a separate rack mount power amp + PA speaker or something like that), but I'm not sure where to start looking. Since the amp sims will cover all the guitar amp part of the signal (including cabinet sim), I'm assuming any sort of general PA speaker should be fine, yes?