Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emloin
Sep 5, 2006
He lay grutning, in the abyss chewing on an oxo cube.

ruinedhero posted:

Review of the Black Star HT - 60
That was a good review, it summed up my feelings for the HT-40 as-well.

I'm using the HT-5 at the moment and I'm not enjoying it beyond half volume.
As a way around this (and for use live) I'm using the emulated speaker output into the FX return of my Laney Lv300 and It's sounding great.
Can't wait to get the HT- 100,I think it's worth paying the extra for more control over the channel switching , I'm fortunate enough to live in the uk where Blackstar stuff is much cheaper (£600 for the HT-100)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Emloin posted:

That was a good review, it summed up my feelings for the HT-40 as-well.

I'm using the HT-5 at the moment and I'm not enjoying it beyond half volume.
As a way around this (and for use live) I'm using the emulated speaker output into the FX return of my Laney Lv300 and It's sounding great.
Can't wait to get the HT- 100,I think it's worth paying the extra for more control over the channel switching , I'm fortunate enough to live in the uk where Blackstar stuff is much cheaper (£600 for the HT-100)

I keep wanting to buy a HT-5 because I only play in my bedroom, and want something that has some good distortion at reasonable volumes. But I keep psyching myself out by telling myself if I just spend a little bit more, I can get an HT-20, which has the reverb, saving me having to buy a pedal. But if I spend a little extra I can get the HT-40 and get some extra wattage. Or if I spend a little more than that I can get the 60 watt with an extra channel and two 12" speakers! Which of course would defeat the purpose of getting something I can use in my bedroom. :downs:

Also, £600 seems about equal to American prices. I assume you are referring to the HT-100 head (I don't think it comes in combo, but I don't know). I have seen it here for $850, which according to the conversion rate is actually lower than the dollar equivalent for £600 ($936). But maybe you meant something else entirely.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Can anyone recommend me a head? Heres my critera:

Need 2 channels, no more, I dont like having features I dont need and I dont really care about having totally pristine cleans.

Really good nice higain crunch, but not neccisarrily hypercompressed metal stuff.

Available in the UK.

Not mesa boogie.

Cheap, cheap cheap cheap. I dont mind going used.

Marshall is the obvious option but any alternatives?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 2, 2010

SnackinStarfish
Feb 27, 2007

Three Red Lights posted:

[[ Please wait, retrieving post quote... ]]Can anyone recommend me a head? Heres my critera:

Need 2 channels, no more, I dont like having features I dont need and I dont really care about having totally pristine cleans.

Really good nice higain crunch, but not neccisarrily hypercompressed metal stuff.

Available in the UK.

Not mesa boogie.

Check out the Peavey 5150.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I have an aversion to 5150's. Maybe its enirely irrational but nah.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Maybe an ADA MP1 with whatever power amp if you're not opposed to a rack system?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Three Red Lights posted:

Entirely irrational man, seriously, they fit your criteria to a 'T'.

If you don't want the '5150' badge, try a 6505.

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

We are only serving our Gods
5150 head is great for overdrive and distortion, but the clean channel is about average. The onboard overdrive channels are great. Stay away from the 2x12 combo that weighs a ton.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Three Red Lights posted:

[[ Please wait, retrieving post quote... ]]Can anyone recommend me a head? Heres my critera:

Used Engl? The thunder and screamer heads have 3/4 channels but you might be able to pick up a Fireball 60 cheap as they released a 100W version a few months back.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Three Red Lights posted:

Available in the UK.

Not mesa boogie.

All of the Blackstar heads meet those criteria. So depending on what wattage you want...

Edit: meant "meet" not "meat"

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 2, 2010

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

Gripen5 posted:

All of the Blackstar heads meat those criteria. So depending on what wattage you want...

I can vouche for the black star

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I was about to suggest a 5150 also, but since you're allergic to those, maybe a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL? I'm not sure what the prices are like in the UK but for a used Marshall they're cheap in the US.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

iostream.h posted:

Entirely irrational man, seriously, they fit your criteria to a 'T'.

If you don't want the '5150' badge, try a 6505.

It's becasue I used to work in a live music bar and seeing bands load in with 5150s was typically the first sign that the night was going to be awful. They aren't bad sounding amps but I think its pavlovian now.

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006
Can anyone tell me why my Peavy Classic 50 ( I love the tone) is usually in some way broken? They seem to have a pretty bad rep with build quality from the various repair shops and other owners i have talked to. It seems to be blowing trough preamp tubes.

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

Three Red Lights posted:

It's becasue I used to work in a live music bar and seeing bands load in with 5150s was typically the first sign that the night was going to be awful. They aren't bad sounding amps but I think its pavlovian now.

I'm adding pavlovian to my list of cromulent words.

What made the bands sound so bad with the 5150's? Was the gain too high or too muddy?

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
It's because every lovely scenecore dork uses them.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

ruinedhero posted:

I'm adding pavlovian to my list of cromulent words.

What made the bands sound so bad with the 5150's? Was the gain too high or too muddy?

I have literally never heard a good live tone out of a 5150 or a Mesa because their users all seem to love scooping mids to the point where the guitar sound is either complete mud or ear-piercingly bright. Not a dig against the amps, just an observation about the people who seem to prefer them.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Which is funny because 5150s with the mids cranked were the staple live sound of a lot of death metal and grindcore bands in the early 90s. poo poo, I saw Sonic Youth about ten years ago and Thurston Moore had one.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

The new 6534+ sounds great too- just a 6505 with el34s and a few things slightly tweaked. Highly recommended.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Three Red Lights posted:

I've always regretted selling mine. I've owned a bunch of high gain amps over the years but I'd buy back a 5150 in an instant if I needed a modern metal amp. They are not good bedroom practice amps but sound RIDICULOUS at full band volume. Sooo good.

Personally, I waffled around with about 10 amps before settling on something that nailed exactly what I had been looking for all along. I got tired of smooth, modern, tight, predictable sounding amps and wanted something vintage, snarly, raspy, and angry sounding instead. I went through a Matamp Roadster 120 that I ended up selling and immediately regretted as well since I only sold it to fund the purchase of a Matamp GTL and then the seller for that backed out days after I sold MY Matamp. It took me a year after that to find one of these for sale. I immediately sold my Mesa/Boogie Mark III head and snatched it up as soon as I saw it. To this day, I will stand by it as being the best musical equipment purchase I've ever made:

With the volume only halfway up, it will literally shift items around in your room. I've had things rattle off of shelves and dressers after playing it for only a few minutes. Some others I know with Electric heads just cut out a big piece of foam to set their heads on on top of their speaker cabinets because they will actually vibrate themselves off of them onto the ground if you aren't careful. Absolutely monstrous amplifiers. Even though they aren't modern sounding, they are the most aggressive amp I've ever heard. Super angry and tons of gain available. The cleans are 'meh' but work. No effects loop, no 2nd channel, no footswitch, etc. Just a simple hand-wired, point-to-point, beefy amp capable of shattering windows.

FYI they work great for bass, too. Al Cisneros (Sleep, OM) uses one.

After owning this, I don't know that I could ever go back to Orange or Matamp amps even though some of them can cop a similar sound... Maybe an old early-70s Orange OR120 could fit the bill even though it has nowhere near the gain of an Electric. For high gain tones, I currently use an Engl E530. A little sterile but it works.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Gramps posted:

The new 6534+ sounds great too- just a 6505 with el34s and a few things slightly tweaked. Highly recommended.
That's one of my current heads actually (I think I listed it earlier in the thread). I love it.

I STILL don't EVER miss my old 5150 combo. Great amp, what a ballbreaker when you have to move it tho'. I would have definitely done the 'head conversion' had I kept it.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
I recently impulse bought a 6534+ as well. It's my first real amp beyond a 15 watt practice amp, so I can't really offer any objective opinions or reviews of it. I didn't even try any others out (yeah yeah, I know. I just knew I'd probably be happy with anything in that price range).

Needless to say, I love it. I've been using a lovely Metal Zone with a practice amp which drowns so much detail out, it's nice to finally hear the mids and highs ring out, and some real balls in the low end as well. The things a beast, jamming in a tiny garage with 2 half stacks side by side and a loud rear end drumkit right next to my ear, I still haven't turned the volume higher than 3.

I hate nu-metal, hardcore, breakdowns...all of that poo poo. I play old school death metal. This amp is great for it.

DarkEnigma fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 3, 2010

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

The Metal Zone is the most over-hyped piece of poo poo effect box ever made.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

DarkEnigma posted:

I hate nu-metal, hardcore, breakdowns...all of that poo poo. I play old school death metal. This amp is great for it.
I accidentally brought mine to a country/classic rock gig recently (yeah, long story don't ask haha) and learned that the clean channel takes pedals amazingly well. It was quite useful (if totally overpowered) for the job, if not optimal.

Cranking the clean channel and throwing a Zvex Fuzz Factory through it into a 2x12 sounds glorious.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Catastrophe posted:

I've always regretted selling mine. I've owned a bunch of high gain amps over the years but I'd buy back a 5150 in an instant if I needed a modern metal amp. They are not good bedroom practice amps but sound RIDICULOUS at full band volume. Sooo good.

Personally, I waffled around with about 10 amps before settling on something that nailed exactly what I had been looking for all along. I got tired of smooth, modern, tight, predictable sounding amps and wanted something vintage, snarly, raspy, and angry sounding instead. I went through a Matamp Roadster 120 that I ended up selling and immediately regretted as well since I only sold it to fund the purchase of a Matamp GTL and then the seller for that backed out days after I sold MY Matamp. It took me a year after that to find one of these for sale. I immediately sold my Mesa/Boogie Mark III head and snatched it up as soon as I saw it. To this day, I will stand by it as being the best musical equipment purchase I've ever made:

With the volume only halfway up, it will literally shift items around in your room. I've had things rattle off of shelves and dressers after playing it for only a few minutes. Some others I know with Electric heads just cut out a big piece of foam to set their heads on on top of their speaker cabinets because they will actually vibrate themselves off of them onto the ground if you aren't careful. Absolutely monstrous amplifiers. Even though they aren't modern sounding, they are the most aggressive amp I've ever heard. Super angry and tons of gain available. The cleans are 'meh' but work. No effects loop, no 2nd channel, no footswitch, etc. Just a simple hand-wired, point-to-point, beefy amp capable of shattering windows.

FYI they work great for bass, too. Al Cisneros (Sleep, OM) uses one.

After owning this, I don't know that I could ever go back to Orange or Matamp amps even though some of them can cop a similar sound... Maybe an old early-70s Orange OR120 could fit the bill even though it has nowhere near the gain of an Electric. For high gain tones, I currently use an Engl E530. A little sterile but it works.

Jesus christ, I've been looking at these for the last 3 weeks. I want one so loving bad. Did you have one custom built for you or did you buy one used? I've got walls of amps and have tried literally everything but this right here is my dream amp. I want the Master Volume and Power unit but I have no where near the cash for that kind of investment. I could do with a 6x12 too. TELL ME ABOUT THIS AMAZING PIECE OF AUDIO EQUIPMENT

Sirius Sam fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 3, 2010

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Haha yeah if I had $4500 laying around I'd totally get a 120w master volume unit full stack.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

iostream.h posted:

I accidentally brought mine to a country/classic rock gig recently (yeah, long story don't ask haha) and learned that the clean channel takes pedals amazingly well. It was quite useful (if totally overpowered) for the job, if not optimal.

Cranking the clean channel and throwing a Zvex Fuzz Factory through it into a 2x12 sounds glorious.

Haha, well, good to know it's a little versatile. I haven't used any effects yet, I just plug the guitar straight in.

The footswitch confuses the hell out of me though - I don't know if the guy gave me the wrong one (doubtful) but the labeling on it is nothing like in the manual, and the functions seem to be in reverse.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
There's a sweet 6505+ 1x12 now. Still heavy as gently caress but much more manageable than the 2x12 and it has the nice dual-EQ frontend of the plus.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Sirius Sam posted:

Jesus christ, I've been looking at these for the last 3 weeks. I want one so loving bad. Did you have one custom built for you or did you buy one used? I've got walls of amps and have tried literally everything but this right here is my dream amp. I want the Master Volume and Power unit but I have no where near the cash for that kind of investment. I could do with a 6x12 too. TELL ME ABOUT THIS AMAZING PIECE OF AUDIO EQUIPMENT

EDIT: Read the bottom of this post!

Like I said, it took me a year of searching before I found one for sale used. In that amount of time, I could have just ordered a new one for a few hundred more... but whatever. haha. The wait time on a new one is about a year anyway. I've used mine for almost every genre I listen to. Sludge, thrash metal, punk, hardcore, etc. A couple of pedals and some tweak time and it can be used for a lot of different things. The people I've had try it out have been blown away by it even though none of them had ever heard of Electric Amps before.

The guys at EA know what they're doing. The components are top notch and put together in a thick, heavy chassis so the whole thing feels like you could just kick it down a flight of stairs and it'd suffer no damage. There are thoughtful tidbits like how the tubes are spaced far apart and aren't sandwiched in between the transformers so they don't build up heat. The chassis is built so that, when taken out of the head shell, it'll stand up balanced on any of its 6 sides so it's easy to work on. The construction inside is masterful as well. Yes yes... I sound like an Electric Amp salesman, I know. I'm just a really happy owner.

With my ESP Viper, neck pickup, (especially with my boost pedal), the thing sounds exactly like the Sleep album "Dopesmoker" (or "Jerusalem"). Exactly. If you want that sort of sound, this is THE amp you want. Crappy old vid of me playing part of that album incorrectly here. My Ibanez guitar gives it a looser, bassier, snarlier sound. It puts out pants-flapping low-end.

If mine were stolen tomorrow, I'd have an order in for its replacement the next day. I may still rotate through other 2nd amps around it but never want to get rid of the Electric. It's perfect.

EDIT: A dude I've been talking to online for years and a fellow Electric Amp Master Volume amp owner JUST posted today that he's putting his amp up for sale. Looks like he wants about $2k for it. He's over in the "Doom Room II" thread on TheGearPage. Just an FYI since you seemed interested in one.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 3, 2010

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Back in my death metal touring days, I absolutely loved my 5150II. I recently sold it but plugged it in just to test it out before selling it and, gently caress... I forgot how amazing it sounded. A 5150II through a Marshall 1960 cabinet just sounds so great.

Now I play a Vox Valvetronix VT50. I don't have the need for a 4x12" amount of loudness, so this does the trick just fine, and I'm able to dial in a number of great sounds on it.

So there, that's my little anecdote for the thread.

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

warwick5s posted:

There's a sweet 6505+ 1x12 now. Still heavy as gently caress but much more manageable than the 2x12 and it has the nice dual-EQ frontend of the plus.

I have one of these, it comes with a single top mounted handle but at 65 lbs it's annoying to use unless you're carrying something around the same weight in the other hand. I usually pick it up from the bottom and it's just small enough to not be too cumbersome. My 100 lb bass combo with side handles which is almost twice the size is still easier to move though.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Just pulled the trigger on the Blackstar HT5 combo. Should get to me next week. Pretty stoked to have a nice little tube amp to practice on.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Any of you bassists out there got a recommendation for a "bedroom" amp? I know the Roland is suggested in the Bass Megathread, but I'd like to comparison shop a bit.

I've been practicing for months now through a headphone amp and I'd like to step up a little bit to something that'll keep my ears uncovered. I don't need loud, really, or even a "certain" sound; just a lightweight amp.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Any of you bassists out there got a recommendation for a "bedroom" amp? I know the Roland is suggested in the Bass Megathread, but I'd like to comparison shop a bit.

I've been practicing for months now through a headphone amp and I'd like to step up a little bit to something that'll keep my ears uncovered. I don't need loud, really, or even a "certain" sound; just a lightweight amp.

I have the Bass Microcube RX, I don't have a lot to compare it to but I love it. Runs on AA batteries if you want so it can be completely portable (my Recyko rechargeables last 10 or 12 hours I reckon, maybe more since I usually don't play loud), you can connect an MP3 player if you want to jam, there's a second input for a mic or another guitar, there's a metronome and some rhythms to practice to...

It can actually get pretty loud and puts out more bass than you'd expect, only thing I'd say is it can sound a bit middy but that's to be expected. Only thing that's really missing for me is a distortion/fuzz effect - if you crank the gain and use the compressor you can get a hosed up sound which does ok in a pinch, but it would be nice to have an actual fuzz effect in the box

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things

Handen posted:

I've got an early Ampeg VT-22 non-master volume with original giant-rear end gently caress-off magnet Altec's. Feel free to ask questions, but you'll have to speak up because I can't hear you.

I've got a non-MV VT-22 as well, original speakers and all. I throw a GGG Green Muff clone in front of it with the "Fender Twin" setting and my neck HB on. It absolutely nails the classic Smashing Pumpkins sound.

I came up with a redesigned control set & some modifications I wouldn't mind seeing in an updated version of this amp. Maybe if I get enough money I'll have an amp builder make it real.

Seriously though, everyone should try these things. They're huge and loud and heavy as gently caress. It'll blow you and leave you crying in a fetal position.

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

For what it's worth I bought one of those new Acoustic combo amps (the 12" at 20 watts or so?) and I love it. Punchy, takes distortion and effects very well. Can keep up with other people's practice amps for low volume practicing or jamming, also, if you want to use it to play with people.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Handen, Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

I've got a non-MV VT-22
Sup 1970s V series buds? I have a non master volume V-2 head which somebody modded to have an effects loop at some point. It loving screams, I love it. I have the volume around 10:00 for a band situation which is loud-rock-band-in-a-basement loud, nice and clean when I pick softly and light breakup when I dig in hard. Using it with an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30s. Takes pedals amazingly well. Using a homemade clone of a BJF Honeybee overdrive, a Danelectro Wasabi overdrive, Fulltone Ultimate Octave fuzz. Amazing spectrum of dirt available with this head plus a few pedals. My bassist buddy is building me a vintage Rat clone, then I should basically have any kind of dirt I want.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

You Ampeg V owners are crazy. I had an early 70s non master volume V4 for a few months and had to get rid of it because it was literally unusable for me. The volume those things put out are beyond belief. I know pretty much all 50+ Watt guitar amps are "loud" but you haven't heard LOUD until you've fired up a V4 and attempted to move the volume control past the halfway point.

At this point, I wish I still had it to use as a type of slave for my Electric head but I can't complain too much because I bought it for $200 in non-working condition, discovered it only needed a single $0.05 rectifier diode replaced, got it working great and then sold it a couple months later for $600.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things

Col.Kiwi, Catastrophe posted:

V series

I was lucky to find a completely working amp for $350. They're going for a good bit more now. I replaced the faceplate with one from Fliptops.net.

Here's the redesign I came up with. It has a very Orange/Matamp/Electric feel because I really dig their look. My redesign does away with the 2nd channel, combines the V4 & V4B's EQ controls, and adds an FX loop and real MV control. I think it'd be a good modern variation of the classic V4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

QPZIL posted:

Back in my death metal touring days, I absolutely loved my 5150II. I recently sold it but plugged it in just to test it out before selling it and, gently caress... I forgot how amazing it sounded. A 5150II through a Marshall 1960 cabinet just sounds so great.

Now I play a Vox Valvetronix VT50. I don't have the need for a 4x12" amount of loudness, so this does the trick just fine, and I'm able to dial in a number of great sounds on it.

So there, that's my little anecdote for the thread.

For Three Red Lights: A Vox VT50 or 100 would very likely fit your criteria. I have the AD100VTH and it sounds crisp and super clear. I've been thinking of buying an EQ for the FX loop but I'm a picky bitch anyway and honestly it sounds fine.