Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Blackstar is set to release a tiny 1 watt tube amp, the HT-1.
Video demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUCI8WOJ16g
Looks like they'll be offering both head and combo versions, featuring similar controls to the HT-5 lineup. They added digital reverb and an mp3/line input. Looks like a nice mini amp. (Kinda wish they had the presence of mind to build reverb into the HT-5, but at least they learned from that mistake, I guess.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bumping this thread up again because I've been thinking recently, is there really any point at all in owning a big amplifier?

Who here is using half stacks? Whose happy gigging with their little amps?

I saw a friends band recently and they all took the bus to the show carrying their tiny little marshall and crate practice amps. It looked a little silly but honestly once it had gone into the PA its not like there wasnt enough volume to go around.

It got me thinking that theres a new POD line coming out, and when it does I might just ditch the amps entirely and go straight to PA. But then something in me still feels kind of weird at the thought of that. Plus I've played a few gigs with my last band where we had next to no PA.

Has anyone tried going direct?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Three Red Lights posted:

It got me thinking that theres a new POD line coming out, and when it does I might just ditch the amps entirely and go straight to PA. But then something in me still feels kind of weird at the thought of that. Plus I've played a few gigs with my last band where we had next to no PA.

That's what Meshuggah does, IIRC.

I used to play with a half stack, but it was because my band played really loud metal in clubs with no PA. Nowadays I don't play that so much anymore, and I rarely even play out anymore, so I just have a little 1x12" combo amp. It suits me fine.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned any Sovtek amps.

I've picked up a Midget 50H off of ebay a few years ago. I didn't really know much about it aside from people recommending it, and saying "it sounds like a marshall/mesa amp".

Paid probably close to $400 for the head (can't remember, but it was close).

Single Channel Amp with the usual TMB tone stack thing going on, Gain and Master Volume and Presence. No FX loop. 4/8/16 ohm out, and a voltage switch so it can be used internationally(!!!) Really nice and simple amp really, and everything i've read about it boasts it's "mil-spec" construction cause the amps were apparently made from an old soviet military factory or some poo poo.

Bads:
- Plastic nuts on the jack like to break. I've replaced a few with beefier metal nuts i bought at a home improvement store.
- It has two inputs for Hi/Low gain, but plugging into the high gain defeats the plug for the low gain (or does it work the other way? i can't remember cause i saw it from the schematics years ago) so you can't plug into both inputs and kinda use an A/B box to switch.

Goods:
- Low Input has amazing tone IMO. People tend to compare it to a Fender in sound.
- Hi Input makes a crazy, hairy sounds distortion or tamer tones.
- Seems to LOVE pedals, even without an FX loop.
- Sturdy as hell in construction
- BIG rear end TRANSFORMERS
- LIKE SERIOUSLY, BIG

I've used it in practices and gigs, people are surprised to see my little amp growl the way it does. I also lend it to a couple friends when ever they gig, they like to plug into Hi input and get a REALLY nice sounds out of it.

I have it through an Avatar 212 cab i loaded with Carvin V30 clones i bought at closeout. I never thought about upgrading since.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Posted this in the Bass megathread but haven't really gotten any answers.

A while ago my buddy gave me his beat up old bass that he doesn't use anymore and I finally got it set up so I can start learning some poo poo on it. Only thing I need now is an amp. I don't mind saving up a bit for it, but I'm mainly a guitarist and I don't gig so all I don't need something super duper and I'd prefer used. My upper budget is probably between $150 and $200. I'd want something with good cleans and I don't need effects in the amp, if I want effects I like buying pedals. I intend on learning a bunch of Silversun Pickups and Cure songs to start out with, and I've got a Russian Muff to provide some fuzz. The Bass is a P Bass knock off. The one other thing is that I love Fender guitar amps so if they have bass amp that fits the bill and is in my budget I'd be all over that. Otherwise, what do you guys recommend?

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

A while ago my buddy gave me his beat up old bass that he doesn't use anymore and I finally got it set up so I can start learning some poo poo on it. Only thing I need now is an amp. I don't mind saving up a bit for it, but I'm mainly a guitarist and I don't gig so all I don't need something super duper and I'd prefer used. My upper budget is probably between $150 and $200. I'd want something with good cleans and I don't need effects in the amp, if I want effects I like buying pedals. I intend on learning a bunch of Silversun Pickups and Cure songs to start out with, and I've got a Russian Muff to provide some fuzz. The Bass is a P Bass knock off. The one other thing is that I love Fender guitar amps so if they have bass amp that fits the bill and is in my budget I'd be all over that. Otherwise, what do you guys recommend?

Maybe take a look at one of the old Fender BXR series amps, if you can find one. I played one for years, and I wish I still had it. You can probably find one used for a pretty good price these days.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Epi Lepi posted:

Are you willing to go the separate head/cab route or would you prefer a combo?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
You'll probably be fine with a combo setup, since it doesn't look like jamming out or gigs are a priority right now. Though i dont know jack about bass amps :smith:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I see a couple BXR's up on eBay right now. Couple 15w and a couple 25w. If I go that route should I definitely get the 25w over the 15w or will it not make that much of a difference?

I wasn't planning on going head/cab because I assumed it would be cheaper to get a combo.

If money was no option I would get a Fender amp of comparable quality to the Blues Jr guitar amp I have and love, whatever that may be. But right now I have next to no money and that won't change for a few months. For now I'm using my roommates Rumble 15 when he's not using it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Combos will be cheaper, but head/cab will give you greater flexibility as well as more purchasing options. I recommend buying used no matter which option you decide on- my local craigslist usually has several old bass amps and cabs for less than $200. Peavey and Hartke are usually good names to look for- their older stuff goes for pretty cheap, but it's good quality and dependable. If you're buying new I've heard good things about Roland's Bass Cubes.

Avoid cheap amps that have a zillion features- in my experience they just produce many different shades of crap.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Three Red Lights posted:

I don't know if I'd use a practice amp, but I have been gigging with a Boss GT-8 plugged directly into a power amp lately. I've got four different amp models dialed in with a couple of effects. It never 100% nails the sound I'm after, but I've gotten no complaints so far.

That said, I've got a side project where I'm using a Marshall TSL60 stack, and even then, I keep the amp up there mostly as a personal monitor, with a Behringer GI-100 between the head and cab, and its XLR out going to the board. We're playing mostly small bars, so keeping our volume level low, yet sounding big is an important balance.

I figure that I can adjust my amp's volume on stage to be where I want it, and the singer, who takes frequent trips out into the crowd, can adjust the faders on the band's mixer to be where they need to be based on what he hears.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Understanding posted:

- It has two inputs for Hi/Low gain, but plugging into the high gain defeats the plug for the low gain (or does it work the other way? i can't remember cause i saw it from the schematics years ago) so you can't plug into both inputs and kinda use an A/B box to switch.

I've read forums where some people are able to plug into both simultaneously and some peoples' are like yours. I don't know what's up with that. Nice score though, I want to try out a Sovtek bass amp sometime.

also dem guitars are purty

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've played through pretty much every modern Ampeg bass amp. And I've played through at least one mid-to-upper level model amp from most every major bass amp manufacturer.

My opinions of each would be just that, opinions... but I'd be happy to share with anyone who has questions.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've had a Marshall AVT50 for a couple of years and I want to replace it with a proper amp. I don't play large gigs, at the moment I'm just playing some at my university from time to time. I've been looking at the Orange Tiny Terror combo.
How would that work for playing 80ies hard rock, and how large a gig would it be insufficient for?

EDIT: It should be noted that at the time I always use the clean channel on my current amp and use a couple of pedals to get the sound I'm looking for.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Boz0r posted:

I've been looking at the Orange Tiny Terror combo.
How would that work for playing 80ies hard rock, and how large a gig would it be insufficient for?

EDIT: It should be noted that at the time I always use the clean channel on my current amp and use a couple of pedals to get the sound I'm looking for.
I've gigged my Tiny Terror head through an Orange 1x12 and their 2x12 with no issues. Just mic it for anything larger than a coffee shop and you'll be fine. Being able to really push that amp (since they're only 7-15 watts) makes them sing. As far as playing 80's hard rock, it's loving perfect.

Uhh, I just noticed you want a clean channel, you might want to look at something else, the cleans aren't really anything 'clean'.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Sounds perfect. I only use the clean channel on my current amp because the overdrive channel sounds like hairy balls.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Boz0r posted:

Sounds perfect. I only use the clean channel on my current amp because the overdrive channel sounds like hairy balls.
Oh well if that's the case then yeah, rock on with the TT.
If you DO need cleans, check out the Dual Terror.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS
I play in doom bands or hardcore bands and I use the loudest amps and rigs and highest gain I can get and I would even consider getting a Tiny Terror. It's definitely a worthwhile investment, I say go for it.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Scarf posted:

I've played through pretty much every modern Ampeg bass amp. And I've played through at least one mid-to-upper level model amp from most every major bass amp manufacturer.

My opinions of each would be just that, opinions... but I'd be happy to share with anyone who has questions.

What is your opinion of Markbass? I'm not too set on anything in particular at the moment, I'd just like something versatile and (relatively) portable, and I've heard lots of good things about the Little Mark II (or III).

Grumbletweaser
Oct 11, 2004

My life has pretty much just been one long gimmick.

iostream.h posted:

Uhh, I just noticed you want a clean channel, you might want to look at something else, the cleans aren't really anything 'clean'.

Meh, clean-cleans are overrated.

But if you do happen to want them anyway, the Dual Terror offers extra headroom that allows it to clean up very nicely. It still has that class A break-up sound, but it's more subtle which makes it more versatile.

Also, the Fat Channel is monstrous.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Sirius Sam posted:

I play in doom bands or hardcore bands and I use the loudest amps and rigs and highest gain I can get...

I require more info. Please tell me about your loud, high gain amps used for doom and hardcore.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Catastrophe posted:

I require more info. Please tell me about your loud, high gain amps used for doom and hardcore.

Forgive the lovely cellphone quality picture.

Going from left to right:
Sunn Penetrator on top of two Sunn 412s loaded with Eminence Legends
Laney VH100R (that I really want to get rid of), on top of a Peavey VK100, on top of a Fender M80 Chorus (a tone machine with almost 0 recognition)
Mesa Rect with Vintage 30s
B52 open back with stock speakers, great low end
Emperor 4x12 with Jensen Electric Lightnings

Not pictured:
Sovtek MIG 100B Bassov Blues Boy
Sonic 4x12 loaded with Celestion G10 Greenbacks

Right now for my hardcore band I'm daisy chaining the Sunn into the Sovtek to the Emperor and Mesa, and for my drone doom project thing I'm running pretty much all of it together.

I really really really want to get rid of my Laney and get a Laney Pro Tube 100 or something. I bought the VH100R without doing any research and I just can't get the tones I want out of it :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Plastic Snake posted:

What is your opinion of Markbass? I'm not too set on anything in particular at the moment, I'd just like something versatile and (relatively) portable, and I've heard lots of good things about the Little Mark II (or III).

In my opinion, Markbass is one of the better "modern" sounding amps. Very clean and "uncolored" sounding. Although that's kind of impossible, the general consensus is that if you want to hear the tone of your bass moreso than the tone of your amp, go Markbass. But really, they just have a great, clean modern tone.

They're built solid, have great features for bassists who gig heavily and I've never really heard of any problems with them (aside from some people just not liking the tone). And yeah, the portability is great. They kind of set the trend for the whole micro-head movement in my opinion.

Definitely try one out, but I'm also a fan of Genz Benz in terms of modern amps. Their Shuttle series gets great reviews, and I think they have a great tone.

Can't find any videos of Markbass stuff with this guy, but Ed has done some great reviews of some Genz Benz Shuttle amps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqancBS121M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJYX2Fkpuzg

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 28, 2010

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Sirius Sam posted:

Hailz. Just finishing up a powerviolence band, I had the 140W Orange I posted earlier and a 70s HH 4x12. I need something to use for new bands now, what does that Fender sound like? I like loud and bassy and I could chain a couple of distortion pedals up front if it doesn't get filthy enough. I'm sure I could ebay one of those.

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.

Epi Lepi posted:

I see a couple BXR's up on eBay right now. Couple 15w and a couple 25w. If I go that route should I definitely get the 25w over the 15w or will it not make that much of a difference?

I wasn't planning on going head/cab because I assumed it would be cheaper to get a combo.

If money was no option I would get a Fender amp of comparable quality to the Blues Jr guitar amp I have and love, whatever that may be. But right now I have next to no money and that won't change for a few months. For now I'm using my roommates Rumble 15 when he's not using it.

If you're in the DC area and want a BXR, I have a BXR-100 15" combo amp that's in decent shape that I'll sell to you.

I'm thinking about switching from a small combo to a small head and cab again. I love my small Acoustic 12" combo but would sort of like something punchier I think.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Epi Lepi posted:

My first bass amp was an old BXR 200. That thing would punch like a motherfucker.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

the wizards beard posted:

Hailz. Just finishing up a powerviolence band, I had the 140W Orange I posted earlier and a 70s HH 4x12. I need something to use for new bands now, what does that Fender sound like? I like loud and bassy and I could chain a couple of distortion pedals up front if it doesn't get filthy enough. I'm sure I could ebay one of those.

Well unfortunately the Fender is a solid state, 60w. It can get pretty dirty straight into it but the distortion channel takes pedals really really well and that's why I still have it around. Really I think the reason I like it so much is it's sentimental value. I'd rather have a 140w Orange tbh :v:

If you ever find one on ebay or something don't expect to pay much more than 100-150 bux for it, it's cheap as hell.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Amplifier-PR260-BXR15-/270597320878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f00db70ae

Is this amp worth buying? $35+shipping seems way too cheap to me.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Epi Lepi posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Amplifier-PR260-BXR15-/270597320878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f00db70ae

Is this amp worth buying? $35+shipping seems way too cheap to me.

Doesn't look too bad for a cheapo bedroom bass practice amp. For $35 it's difficult to go wrong as you could probably flip it for $50 if you don't like it

Grumbletweaser
Oct 11, 2004

My life has pretty much just been one long gimmick.

Sirius Sam posted:

Right now for my hardcore band I'm daisy chaining the Sunn into the Sovtek to the Emperor and Mesa, and for my drone doom project thing I'm running pretty much all of it together.

Could you explain to me how daisy chaining amps works and what it accomplishes? I was not aware that people did this.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zakalwe posted:

Doesn't look too bad for a cheapo bedroom bass practice amp. For $35 it's difficult to go wrong as you could probably flip it for $50 if you don't like it

I've found it can be really hard to shift cheap amps.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
A Sunn 300W PA just turned up locally, does anyone know how these sound as guitar amps?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Sirius Sam posted:

Forgive the lovely cellphone quality picture.

Going from left to right:
Sunn Penetrator on top of two Sunn 412s loaded with Eminence Legends
Laney VH100R (that I really want to get rid of), on top of a Peavey VK100, on top of a Fender M80 Chorus (a tone machine with almost 0 recognition)
Mesa Rect with Vintage 30s
B52 open back with stock speakers, great low end
Emperor 4x12 with Jensen Electric Lightnings

Not pictured:
Sovtek MIG 100B Bassov Blues Boy
Sonic 4x12 loaded with Celestion G10 Greenbacks

I really really really want to get rid of my Laney and get a Laney Pro Tube 100 or something. I bought the VH100R without doing any research and I just can't get the tones I want out of it :(

Sweet. A Recto is one high gain amp I haven't tried yet that I'd really like to. I think it'd mix really well with my :black101: Electric Amp :black101: head (ala Abominable Iron Sloth... Dual Recto + Matamp GTO).

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Spoke with Jeff at Velvetone Valve Works in Seattle and have my amp (MusicMan 12x2 130 HD)(the all valve version) in his hands for repair; he has yet to replicate a rattling I've managed to hear at medium volumes with a guitar, after over five years of playing a bass through it for recording. I'd assumed it broke from the bass, although I acknowledged the possibility that it's simply that the amp is older and in need of service.

There was a debate earlier about whether or not the amp I was using (a guitar amp) might be used for bass work in a recording environment.

There were two criticisms:

a) The amp wasn't giving me anything "unique" which I might find more easily in a rig designed specifically for a bass guitar.

b) I was destroying my guitar amp by playing a bass guitar through it.

Turns out in his opinion, neither of these criticisms hold any water. As for a), he said that by-and-large, the drivers (aka speakers) were the primary difference-maker insofar as coloring my bass once it arrived at the amplifier. "If you plugged your amp into a different cab, it would sound nothing like your cab plugged into a different amp unit. The cab, more than any other aspect of the combo amp you are using, determines how your bass might sound when played through the unit."

b): "Play your bass through your amp, and slowly turn up the master until you hear the cab drivers starting to distort. You'll determine this because the speakers themselves will start to sound "farty" or more or less like they are flapping in their enclosures. This is the limit of how high you can turn up your bass in your guitar cab, make sure you play below this threshold."

So:

a) the speakers in my amp are what make my basses sound the way I like so much, and buying a different cab, and even driving this same amp through it, I'll not get a sound similar, and, likely, nothing I like, given that I'm used to the MusicMan's speakers.

b) the whole "DON'T PLAY A BASS THROUGH A GUITAR AMP" is mostly an old wive's tale, especially when the bass playing is singularly in a recording environment, where rarely does the amp get driven anywhere near the point of speaker failure.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
So I think I'm getting the Orange Tiny Terror Combo. Can anyone tell me if it's going to be a problem that I have an effect board and a couple of pedals BEFORE the whole amp, and is there anything important I should know about?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Boz0r posted:

So I think I'm getting the Orange Tiny Terror Combo. Can anyone tell me if it's going to be a problem that I have an effect board and a couple of pedals BEFORE the whole amp, and is there anything important I should know about?

A lot of people say that certain effects should come after the distortion. That means that if you're using the amp for overdriven distortion, you'll have those effects before the distortion as the Tiny Terror doesn't have an effects loop (you can mod one in though)

Reverb is one effect that sounds very muddy to me before the distortion. edit: *After* the distortion it sounds better. Delay is another one that a lot of people prefer in the loop.

Zakalwe fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 30, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Boz0r posted:

What the guy above said, I used to run a rig like this and it kind of limited how far I could push the TT because once it got into breaking up all my effects would sound muddy.

The TT sounds good but I think if I was in the market for a small head again I would look at the little blackstars before the orange purely because of the eq and effects loop.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
So, something like the Blackstar Artisan 15? Are there more of these awesome little tube combos I should check out?

I was looking forward to making the TT look like this:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2hrpxzt.jpg

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

They do mini heads, the HT20 for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Schlieren posted:

b) the whole "DON'T PLAY A BASS THROUGH A GUITAR AMP" is mostly an old wive's tale, especially when the bass playing is singularly in a recording environment, where rarely does the amp get driven anywhere near the point of speaker failure.

I think the assumption we had when you first posted your problem was that you were playing at above-bedroom levels, like if you were using the amp at gigs where a higher volume is required. The higher volume makes all the difference in the life of the speakers.

That's why the Bassman was such a spectacular failure as a bass amp when it was first introduced: The speakers just couldn't handle the low notes when played on a high volume for a period of time.