Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Side Effects posted:

I think the assumption we had when you first posted your problem was that you were playing at above-bedroom levels, like if you were using the amp at gigs where a higher volume is required. The higher volume makes all the difference in the life of the speakers.

No worries; I thought I'd been clear that I'd been playing a bass through it for five years and solely for recording, but I guess I didn't state it well enough. In any event, I didn't want to thread poo poo and run, especially when I wrote that I'd do some research and report my findings afterward :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Email response from Blackstar Amps asking about the US street date for the HT-1: "We aim to release the HT1 in January in the US. Expect to see it sometime after Christmas."

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

We are only serving our Gods
If anyone wants to get a pretty cool clean acoustic sound, try out the Boss Acoustic Simulator (AC 3 the newer one), run it though the effects loop as the first on the chain and with an equalizer after it. Use the Line Out output.

The sound you can get is a very cool hybrid acoustic/electric sound. Going through my Blackstar HT-60 it has an awesome warm bassey sound. It isn't going to replace a high end acoustic guitar or amp, but it's a pretty unique sound. Don't run it in the front (guitar, effect, amp) because it sounds like total poo poo.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I saw Propagandhi play two nights ago and mother fuckin' Todd (their bass player) uses the same amp as I do, but he's got a fridge and I've got a dinky 2x12. Now I want an Ampeg fridge again. :argh:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

I saw Propagandhi play two nights ago and mother fuckin' Todd (their bass player) uses the same amp as I do, but he's got a fridge and I've got a dinky 2x12. Now I want an Ampeg fridge again. :argh:

I want a 2x15 fridge.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Scarf posted:

I want a 2x15 fridge.

I want a 4x15 fridge. :colbert:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Picked up a Mesa Rectoverb Solo 50 and a Fender Twin Reverb today. Haven't had much time to put into them yet, but the Mesa's impressed the hell out of me already.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

The amp I use most is a Hughes and Kettner Triamp MKII. If you want to get metal-thrashing mad or clean it up the amp will definitely do it all. I certainly do not use it to its full potential, but I do love it. I dont think there is anything I would trade it for right now.

Zentrenched
Jun 7, 2005

It's all noise to me.
Another goon considering the Tiny Terror Combo. Thing is I'm worried it might overheat as it has no top vent, just an open back. Any thoughts?

Can't seem to find any complaints online about it, which is a good sign I suppose.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
If I get an amp head without having a cabinet, can I hook that up to a PA system, or should it always go through a mic'ed cabinet?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Boz0r posted:

If I get an amp head without having a cabinet, can I hook that up to a PA system, or should it always go through a mic'ed cabinet?

http://www.marshallforum.com/85058-post15.html

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

This, exactly. If it's a tube head, you NEED a speaker load. Otherwise the world may come to an end. If it's a solid-state powered head, then you can just use a direct out or any kind of Line-Out provided on the head itself.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Ok, so I have an idea, and need some advice.

What I want to do is get to matched tube-combo, preferably 1x12, and run stereo-effects (like chorus and delay) with two amps.

My initial plan was to get mesa rectifier combos, but I ran into some budget constraints and need to re-think the layout.

So, who here has an idea of a sweet, deep-sounding combo amp that's cheap enough new, or common enough, to allow me to buy two and remain beneath the price of a single used rectifier combo?`

I'll mention that I live in Sweden, so the second hand market may vary quite drastically from overseas.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What's the word on the street about Bugera amps? Are they ok if money is tight?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've got a Peavey Classic 50 212, and just bought the Peavey Classic 50 head. Yes. Exact same amp.

Would I be loving things up really badly if I split the 2 12s, plugging just one speaker into each amp? I can't help but believe that it's going to really gently caress poo poo up, but I've seen 50-watt amps with 1-12 with them. So - is this doable?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
If you wire it so each speaker has it's own lead then i guess so.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Boz0r posted:

What's the word on the street about Bugera amps? Are they ok if money is tight?

I had a yarn to the main guitar/amp tech down at the music store that gets the majority of my money, and his response to the same question was "they sound good, but we had to RMA enough that we decided to stop selling them". Behringer is Behringer unfortunately, and these "boutique" range of amps really aren't that much better from a reliability perspective - which is a shame because they've just launched Mark IV and Rectifier copies with an adjustable variac circuit that would be ideal for home use in my humble opinion.

Honestly I think you would be better buying a genuine Peavey rather than one of their knockoffs, or one of the smaller Blackstars. Or better yet, just buy used. The advantage of most four-figure tube amps is that they're usually over-engineered, with the (replaceable)tubes themselves being the weak point, so you should be able to find plenty of serviceable 5150s and even the odd dual rec for sale for something not too far off the price of a new Bugera.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its really weird how much amplifier speak happens in code. Like how a rectifier is present in any amp but its immediately obvious that a TRIREC is a mesa clone along with the "boutique style" desptite "boutique" being an utterly meaningless word outside of context.

I suppose the "1990" is a Marshall DSL clone as thats when they came out right?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Jargon thread would be cool

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Three Red Lights posted:

I suppose the "1990" is a Marshall DSL clone as thats when they came out right?

JCM 900

But yeah, don't give Behringer money. It's cheaper in the long run to save up a little more for the real thing used which won't have to be replaced in a year or two.

BronYAurStomp
Feb 9, 2007

Reality continues to ruin my life.
I'm looking to get a mini guitar amplifier, something really small. I tried a friends' fender mini twin, which was pretty terrible - no cleans to speak of and just generally crappy sounding. Anyone have suggestions? I was looking at the mini-cube. I'm kind of a VOX fan, I have an AC30 at home which I loving love, if that helps. I'm mostly interested in good, loud cleans, I have pedals if I want something else.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
No Solid state love?

One of the amps I own is a 1982 Roland JC120. I run a PODXT into it, using an A/B switch to get to the clean tones/chorus of the amp, which are unparalleled (IMO).
The thing really shines when running effects & (POD) Distortion...so much so that I've retired my Mesa boogie Tri-Axis.

If clean, shimmering tones with giant headroom and a GODLY stereo chorus are something you strive for, nothing else comes close to the (older) JC120.

Oh, and they are road tanks.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
Has anyone had any experience with a Jet City PicoValve? I am trying to decide between that and the Night Train. Specifically looking for a great clean.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Any guidance would be appreciated. I was looking around my local music shop today and found a Sunn SA-11 for sale. I've only used solid state combo amps up to now, so i don't really know what I'm getting into here.
They said they could throw in two 2x10s w/ tweeters which were sold to them along with the amp, but they look like a custom build and aside from the fact they worked with the amp I don't know anything else about them. Has anyone used or heard a similar set up for an electric guitar? I've only ever seen tweeters on bass cabs, but my experience is pretty limited.

e: If I decide not to get those speakers any suggestions for an alternative?

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006
For a while I've wanted a 2x12 tube combo that can give me more of a crisp, sharp, overdriven tone for playing jazzy/bluesy stuff. I'm thinking something like Jack White's tone for the Raconteurs, though I imagine he either has an insanely obscure amp or something expensive. I'm basically compensating for my Dual Rectifiers lack of great clean channel.

The opening chords of this song are the type of tone I'm going for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITTAB2smnA

I live in Los Angeles so I can probably get most suggestions on the cheap from CL, so what amp do I want?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I'd look for a used Vox or Peavey combo (I think there's a Classic 50 2x12). A treble booster pedal would probably help give you that edge and definition too.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Sounds like a boost going into a twin reverb turned up real loud.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

Jargon thread would be cool

Podtats??? ahahaha

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.
Does anyone know where I could get the foam used to keep tubes from vibrating when you play?
I noticed one of my tubes on my hot rod deluxe doesn't have it and it vibrates noticeably when I play a particular note.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

BronYAurStomp posted:

I'm looking to get a mini guitar amplifier, something really small. I tried a friends' fender mini twin, which was pretty terrible - no cleans to speak of and just generally crappy sounding. Anyone have suggestions? I was looking at the mini-cube. I'm kind of a VOX fan, I have an AC30 at home which I loving love, if that helps. I'm mostly interested in good, loud cleans, I have pedals if I want something else.

How about the Night Train? Vox 15wt head, I think.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Stayne Falls posted:

How about the Night Train? Vox 15wt head, I think.
Night Train isn't "really small" once you add the cab into the equation. The new Lil' Night Train 2 watter is smaller, but still not mini sized (10" speaker cab - the amp can definately fit in your pocket though).

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I currently have a 412 Deville which is just way too loud (shows included). I'm looking to downsize to a 10-15 watt tube amp that has great cleans and takes pedals pretty well.

My budget is about $500 and so far I'm leaning towards a Tweed Blues Jr. Anyone else have any recommendations along those lines I can check out?

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Could anyone ID this amp for me? (Awful cellphone picture incoming.)

I bought it for $100 a while ago and I don't know much about it (besides the fact that it's dusty as poo poo, holy crap.) The only marking relating to the make or model I could find was "Models 400" (Model S 400?) Any help would be appreciated.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Jedrick posted:

Could anyone ID this amp for me? (Awful cellphone picture incoming.)

I bought it for $100 a while ago and I don't know much about it (besides the fact that it's dusty as poo poo, holy crap.) The only marking relating to the make or model I could find was "Models 400" (Model S 400?) Any help would be appreciated.

Haha, I have wondered the same thing. A few years ago I helped in the recording of a punk band that used that as their recording amp. The tone sucked solo-hard. Mixed well with the rest of the band however.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Possibly this? http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/96783

yeah, I think that is it.. check this out.. http://www.univox.org/pics/amps/stage_720.jpg

Unicord stage 720 .. Univox bought them out? 70s amp?

Unicord Model 400/210 Lead Combo ($305) - 40W, 2 10" speakers, preamp volume, clipping control, treble, bass, reverb, master volume. 1977-1980

http://www.univox.org/amps/uniamp.html

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 29, 2010

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Philthy posted:

yeah, I think that is it.. check this out.. http://www.univox.org/pics/amps/stage_720.jpg

Unicord Model 400/210 Lead Combo ($305) - 40W, 2 10" speakers, preamp volume, clipping control, treble, bass, reverb, master volume. 1977-1980

You are the man. With a little more research, it is the Stage 400-

http://www.gbase.com/gear/univox-stage-s400-1978-black

New God
Jun 2, 2007

It takes shades of faggotry to make an awesome rainbow

FrankenVader posted:

No Solid state love?

One of the amps I own is a 1982 Roland JC120. I run a PODXT into it, using an A/B switch to get to the clean tones/chorus of the amp, which are unparalleled (IMO).
The thing really shines when running effects & (POD) Distortion...so much so that I've retired my Mesa boogie Tri-Axis.

If clean, shimmering tones with giant headroom and a GODLY stereo chorus are something you strive for, nothing else comes close to the (older) JC120.

Oh, and they are road tanks.

Truth. I don't even use digital stuff with mine. Its basically a clean pallet for whatever you want. Hell I can even make some stoner/doom stuff by putting an OCD overdrive into a Big Muff.

And its a tank, I have had every tube amp fail on me at the worst times and generally over-distort when I DIDNT want it too. The JC-120 is controllable and easy to manipulate.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Philthy posted:

Professorbx posted:

You are the man. With a little more research, it is the Stage 400-

http://www.gbase.com/gear/univox-stage-s400-1978-black

Wow thanks guys, wasn't expecting anyone to figure that out so quick.

EDIT: Wait a sec, my 400 has 2 speakers. :confused:

EDIT: Ahh, the picture from link in the second post was a 400/112. Durrr

Jedrick fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 30, 2010

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jedrick posted:

Wow thanks guys, wasn't expecting anyone to figure that out so quick.

EDIT: Wait a sec, my 400 has 2 speakers. :confused:

EDIT: Ahh, the picture from link in the second post was a 400/112. Durrr

Yeah, it appears to be a pretty decent amp from the limited reviews. They all seem to like it.

quote:

I have no desire to replace it with anything in particular. The only other 400 that I have ever seen was used by the great jazz guitarist Sonny Grenwich, from Montreal. I saw him play an Ibanez hollow-body through it on two occasions. He got amazing sounds out of it.

You can see a glimpse of it at the 4:57 mark here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oaYy5RJ8aY

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki
The guy who I know who had one in his studio to record with used to use a distortion pedal into it but also had the distortion on the amp turned up-not usually the right way to go, but it sounded really good. It makes sense now reading that, as the fuzz was parallel, making the secondary fuzz controllable instead of simply distorting the original signal.