Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've had a Marshall AVT50 for a couple of years and I want to replace it with a proper amp. I don't play large gigs, at the moment I'm just playing some at my university from time to time. I've been looking at the Orange Tiny Terror combo.
How would that work for playing 80ies hard rock, and how large a gig would it be insufficient for?

EDIT: It should be noted that at the time I always use the clean channel on my current amp and use a couple of pedals to get the sound I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Sounds perfect. I only use the clean channel on my current amp because the overdrive channel sounds like hairy balls.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
So I think I'm getting the Orange Tiny Terror Combo. Can anyone tell me if it's going to be a problem that I have an effect board and a couple of pedals BEFORE the whole amp, and is there anything important I should know about?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
So, something like the Blackstar Artisan 15? Are there more of these awesome little tube combos I should check out?

I was looking forward to making the TT look like this:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2hrpxzt.jpg

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
If I get an amp head without having a cabinet, can I hook that up to a PA system, or should it always go through a mic'ed cabinet?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What's the word on the street about Bugera amps? Are they ok if money is tight?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What amps are like the Marshall 1959 but cheaper and not so darn loud but still not poo poo?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

TyChan posted:

What exactly about the Marshall 1959 are you trying to capture? I take it you basically want a more affordable, lower watt version of a Plexi?

Well, to be honest I've never actually tried the amp as I live pretty far from shops where I can try it. I like the sound of these classic tube amps and a lot of my favourite bands whose sounds I'd like to be in the same ballpark as use the '59. I also like the sound of the Cornford MK50 which is sort of the same but with a bit more bite, but that's about twice the price of the '59 and impossible to get here in Denmark.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
If I have a Peavey Bandit 112 Combot and I get a proper tube head, can I have both amps use the speaker in the bandit combo and switch between them in some sort of fancy way until I get a proper cabinet?

Also, is there an internet shop like gabkits.com where you can buy custom enclosures for amps and cabinets that ships to Denmark?

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 15, 2011

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm looking to get a new sound and I really dig the sound of the lead guitar in the solos of this song:

http://grooveshark.com/s/Love+On+The+Rocks+With+No+Ice/2fmrT7?src=5

I read that he uses a Marshall 1959SLP with some "extra gain in the curcuit", but I can't afford the 1959 or a guy to modify it. So I'm looking for a way to get near this sound for cheaper and not as loud, as I don't play stadium gigs :(

What should I try out?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, I've looked at a couple of those, but my current amp is a Peavey Bandit 112 from 15 years ago, and I don't think it's even tubes. I've set my eyes on the Plexidrive from Wampler, but I'm afraid it'll sound like crap on my amp. And I'd like to switch to a head/cab setup in the future.

EDIT: He may actually have been playing a Mesa Boogie at the time of recording that song, but I haven't played one so I can't say.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 31, 2011

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I found this new Bugera amp on their website: http://www.bugera-amps.com/en/products/1960-INFINIUM.aspx

Apparently it's an upgrade to their 1960 that's a copy of the 1959SLP. I love the sound of the 1959SLP but I could never afford it and I don't live on a stadium so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of its sound. Has anyone tried this amp or the old 1960, and what did you think of it?

According to thomann.de it won't be out in Europe before spring, but I think I'm planning on getting one then. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Another thing, it's got four inputs like the SLP, so should I use an ABY switch or something if I want to use more than one?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I need a new amp, and I've been looking at a few of the Bugera amps, namely the 1960, 1990 and Magician infinium(I'd change the tubes to EL34s). I'd like it to be able to get close to sounds like AC/DC, Guns N' Roses and The Darkness, but with enough versatility to get an OK clean sound since I also play at a sort of variety show where I have to play some pop songs too.

I'd also like it to be a combo(not a priority, though), have multiple channels and a master volume. All this for hopefully under 700€. Also, I'm in Denmark.

I've also been looking at a couple of the CeriaTone kits, but shipment to Denmark seems like it'd negate the savings.

Any good suggestions?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Stabbing Spork posted:

Have you found at places actually selling the Magician? There are demos from like a year ago, but I haven't actually found a store or website that has them in stock.

Not yet, but I'm not getting the new amp for a couple of months so I was hoping it would surface in a nearby shop.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I was recommended the Traynor YCV50B. Has anyone tried this?

EDIT: On further inspection it looks like it doesn't have a master volume. That sucks. Or maybe it does? I saw someone use a Hot Plate with it, wouldn't that be unnecessary with a master volume?

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 12, 2012

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Has anyone tried the Marshall JVM series, and is it worth the price? I found the 210 combo for 1500€. It's really expensive, but it looks really awesome and can be MIDI-controlled.

EDIT: And of course there's a guy selling a used 410 combo in the states for 700$ on ebay. I hate not living in the US when it comes to buying gear.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 26, 2012

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've been looking at that Traynor YCV50B amp for my very first all tube amp. I haven't tried it yet since the nearest shop that has it is about 40 min. drive away and I don't have a car, but if you have tried it I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I was looking at the Marshall JVM series since I found a guy selling the 410 head in Denmark and I saw that some of the combos have 2 different speakers in them and it got me thinking.

Stereo effects are awesome.

Could I hook up a stereo echo or something to this amp and have each speaker be its own channel, or would there have to be two power amps for this to be possible?

If it's not possible, what options are there for getting a stereo signal with effects short of having two amplifiers?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, I get that, I'm usually miced up anyways. How about them rack-mounted stereo power amps Marshall makes, how would a setup with them work?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
If I have a 100W Marshall JVM combo and I need to play it in a smaller venue, could I remove two of the output tubes and have it sound closer to the 50W combo? I think I read this somewhere.

EDIT: As in not quite as loud before it breaks up.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I play mostly hard rock and metal from the 70ies and 80ies and the amps I usually play I generally have the gain very low and the volume as high as people let me. I love that dirty but really powerful AC/DC-like sound.

I have a tubescreamer, though, so that's not a bad idea.

I don't have the JVM combo yet, but I've been looking at it pretty hard. :)

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I want a Marshall JVM, but I don't really know whether I should get a combo or head+cab.

I don't have any cabinets already, and I like the idea of having two different speakers in the combo.

At our rehearsal space there's a lovely H&K half-stack so it would be easier to get the amp there as I don't have a car.

When I have to go places to play there's less poo poo to move if I get a combo.

Also, the head+cab configuration seems to be more expensive.

What should I do?

I live in Denmark if that matters.

EDIT: I play old-ish hard rock.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 20, 2012

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've been very interested in buying a used Marshall JVM410 half-stack or combo. I could maybe get the top with a used Orange 2x12 with V30s for 1400€, or the combo for around 1000€. But then I got to thinking if I should spend that much on an amp when I don't really have a serious band and only play a couple of times a year.

So I was thinking of getting the Orange cab for 400€ and just buying a Bugera 1960 Infinium top for 400€ and getting the higher gain sounds from my Tubescreamer and DS-2.

I don't know what to do :( What do you guys think?

I play 70'ies/80'ies hard rock.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, I've found a single 410C and a 410H both for around 1000€, both used. These are the only JVMs I've found on used sites here in Denmark.

I've thought about the 50W combos if I can't get one of those, but the cheapest one of those is 1200€ new.

A couple of times a year is live. We have a rehearsal space, but the amp I usually play on is a H&K Attax half-stack or something, quite lovely. I don't really know how loud I can get a tube amp here, but I usually run that SS amp pretty high.

In addition to that Bugera amp, I've been looking at a Traynor YCV50B, which is also supposedly pretty nice.

What I like about the JVM, though, is that it seems to do all the classic Marshall sounds pretty good, and the MIDI control makes it much easier.

I've tried contacting both the people selling the JVMs, and the combo is much easier for me to get, and also a little cheaper than the head, but that guy hasn't answered yet. If he doesn't I could buy the head and just borrow a cab from a friend until I can afford my own.

Are there othere amps that could do something near what the JVM can do at a cheaper price?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm doing a show friday and I'd like some advice on how to mike my amp. I've got a Marshall JVM410C with a Vintage 30 and a G12 Heritage speaker. My idea is to mike each speaker and hard pan them left and right to get a bigger sound but I'm not experienced in this stuff at all. How would you do it?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm pretty sure it's closed back, although a lot of sound comes out of the top of the back. What if I just place one of the mics 20 cm or so further away from the speaker than the other?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've got a Marshall JVM 410 combo and I've realized that it's too drat loud and heavy. Does anyone have any recommendations for a head/cab combination that will hit an early Van Halen sound with a little Extra to go but also gets a near-clean sound? I play glam rock/metal but I also need to play some pop songs occasionally. Maybe something close to Satchel's tone in Steel Panther.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 9, 2012

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
If I want a THD Hot Plate, can I hook a 8 Ohm version up to the 16 Ohm output when I have a 2 speaker cab without damaging something?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm thinking of getting a new amp. I've got a Marshall JVM410C and it sucks having to lug a 35kg combo around, and I've never had the master above 3-4. I play mainly 80ies glam rock/metal so I'd like to get close to that hot-rodded JCM800 sound. I'd like an effects loop and more than one channel, preferably seperate EQs. Those lunchbox-sized amps look pretty good so I've been looking at the Dual Terror and the Mesa Transatlantic, but they don't seem to have both.

Any ideas? Head + cab setup.

EDIT: Budget under 1500€

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 22, 2013

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I went and tried the Mini Rectifier. It sounds pretty awesome and it's probably the one I'm gonna get, even though it's a bit pricey. I thought it was going to sound too modern metal br00talz for my taste but the vintage setting sound very good. They didn't have the 1 Watt Marshalls, but I'll ask them to order it. Will 1 watt be loud enough for band practice, though?

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 24, 2013

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
How is the Orange AD30HTC for glam rock/metal? It looks and sounds pretty cool on Youtube.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm looking at the Mini Rectifier or the EVH 5150 III 50w for glam metal.
The Rectifier sounds awesome, but I'm concerned that it doesn't have a footswitchable effects loop. Would that be a problem if I have a delay pedal in the loop that I can just turn off and on instead.
I haven't tried the 5150 yet, but some reviews I read says that the combined EQ of channel 1 and 2 compromises the sound as you won't be able to find a setting where both channels sound good.

Any thoughts on this?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Has anyone tried the Hughes & Kettner TriAmp Mk II? There's a guy selling it for 700€ and it seems like an amp that should cost 2-3x more.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
How do know if I bias my amp correctly? I always read about how you bias an amp, but never how you know when your amp is biased.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
So it's sort of "to taste" within a reasonable interval?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm looking for a small, portable tube amp that takes pedals well, like 1-5 watts. I'd like a price of less than 300€, if possible. Any suggestions?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Looks cool, I'll check it out.

Another thing. Is it possible to mod the EVH 5150 III 50w touse the second EQ for both distortion channels instead of the clean and OD1 channels?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What's the advantage of having those rack amplifiers instead of a normal one? They seem pretty smart and light. Could I theoretically just use one of those, and use a G-System or something for EQ and effects?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Are there any ENGL amps that are great for glam metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Does the 5150 III sound like a hot rodded JCM 800, or is it much more modern sounding(none of the shops in my area has one)?