Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Another question, there's this dude that's selling a stereo rack with the following:

Soldano SP-77 pre-amp
TC Electronic G-Major 2 fx
Marshall 9100 power-amp
Marshall 1922 cabinet
Rack case SKB 6 unit
Behringer FCB-1010 midi board

for 10.000 DKK ~ 1.340€.

Would this be a good setup for glam metal?
I haven't really had a rack setup before, but I figure it's more or less the same as a normal amp, just fancier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Another question, there's this dude that's selling a stereo rack with the following:

Soldano SP-77 pre-amp
TC Electronic G-Major 2 fx
Marshall 9100 power-amp
Marshall 1922 cabinet
Rack case SKB 6 unit
Behringer FCB-1010 midi board

for 10.000 DKK ~ 1.340€.

Would this be a good setup for glam metal?
I haven't really had a rack setup before, but I figure it's more or less the same as a normal amp, just fancier.

Little follow-up question. The guy says he's got an ADA MP 1 that I can have instead of the Soldano. What do you guys think?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I just bought this rig:

It's very nice, but when I don't have the opportunity to turn the power amp up loud, it sounds very fizzy. Standard loud amp issue, I guess, but is there anything I can get that'll make it possible to play this amp non-loud?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've got a rack with a Soldano SP-77, a TC G-Major 2 and a Marshall 9100 with an occasional tubescreamer, and I play 80ies hair metal.

The rig sounds great, but I don't have a lot of time to work on my technique and that sometimes shines through.

When I play at home I use Amplitube with a sort of EVH setting with the Diode Overdrive into a British Tube Lead, and this sounds awesome, and it covers up my lovely technique a lot better.

What amp could get close to this sound at a lower volume(head or combo)? Or could an addition to rig do it?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Oh, no, I was looking to get a whole other, simpler rig. I only use the delay on the G-Major and I don't use the stereo bit. It's when I play the amp that my lovely technique shines through. I want it to be MORE like Amplitube :)

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I had the JVM 410C and it was pretty good, but I realized a combo was too drat heavy and I only used 2-3 different settings. But it's a very versatile amp.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

Sounds like what you want is an amp modeler.

That seems like too much of a hassle. I pretty much just want this one sound with a clean channel, or something.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm looking to downgrade the rig I bought six months ago as it's just too big and heavy, and I don't play it loud enough. I have a Soldano SP-77 pre-amp, a TC Electronic G Major and a Marshall 9100 power amp. I pretty much only use the delay on the G Major and as I can't play the amp loud enough I use pedals for distortion.

I play 80ies hair metal/hard rock and I've been looking at a Blackstar HT Club 50 head. I would love to have a JCM 800, but I'd like to keep the price under 800€, and again, I'll rarely be able to crank it.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I've considered relying mainly on pedals for distortion as I like my Fat Sandwich.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 27, 2013

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Can the Peavey Triple XXX do 80ies hair metal with extra gain? Someone is selling one near me for 950€. All the videos on youtube are just chugging in drop F# or whatever.

EDIT: What about the Bugera 333XL?

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 29, 2013

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
There's a guy selling a Laney GH50L for 450€. I've looked at the 5150 III, but I can't find one used here in Denmark and I'd like to get a reasonable return of investment if I sell it again. Also, it's 1.000€ on Thomann. The 6505 is 1.200€, and I haven't been able to find one of these used either. I'm wondering, though, why the combo is half the price of the head.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Some guy is selling a Marshall 30th Anniversary head for 600€. Is this a good deal for hair metal?

EDIT: It doesn't say 6100, it just says "30th Anniversary 1962-1992".

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 30, 2013

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Some guy is selling his Marshall DSL 401 from 2007 with an added Vintage 30 speaker for 470€.

What's the difference between this and the new DSL40C that's 766€ new om Thomann?

Also, should I get it? I've been looking at the 40C for a few weeks.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What are the general reliability concerns with Bugera amps? I'm considering getting a 333XL, and I'd like to know if I can do some repairs on it to fix the shortcomings of it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Egnater Renegade? I talked to tech in a guitar shop and he told me that the guts are pretty much poo poo, and he'd been trying to fix one for days.

Also, what are some good Marshall JCM-like amps with a "low-power" switch like this?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Has anyone tried the Krank Ninenteen80 Jr. 20 Watt for a low-volume JCM 800 sound?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
If I want a better cranked sound at lower levels, would it be a good idea to get a replacement speaker with a lower sensitivity? And which are good for a JCM 800 style sound?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I was looking at a Jet City 22H Head and I saw that they make a new attenuator called the Jettenuator.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Would that amp hit something near a Motley Crue/Def Leppard tone? And which cab would fit best on a budget? I was looking at just getting a Harley Benton with V30s.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
If I'm unable to crank my amp in the venues I play, and I'm always miced, would it be a good idea to just get a speaker simulator box or something, instead of a cab, or what that sound like poo poo?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've been looking at this setup:

Jet City Amplification JCA22H Guitar Head
Harley Benton G112 or G212 Vintage cab
Palmer PDI-06 Attenuator

Could this give me a thick 80ies hair metal sound at acceptable volume levels(not bedroom level, bar level)?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Cool. I'll put of off getting the attenuator to after I hear it, then. I was planning on the 2x12, but the 1x12 is lighter to lug around. I'll probably get the 2x12, though :D. That should give the sound a little more balls and bottom end, right?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
That reminds me, how do you mic your amps? When I play, some guy always comes over and positions my mic straight on at the middle of the cone, but I don't think he really knows anything about it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
If I'm in a situation where I can't crank my amp, would getting a separate solid state power amp to throw in the effects loop output be a usable idea?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

I played a Marshall JVCM215C today. It made every guitar sound amazing. Even a $99 Epiphone P90 special. Gives the classic marshall sound at bedroom levels.

I want that sound in a cheaper package. Don't need 50 watts, multiple channels, or a big EQ.

I had a JVM410C, but sold it to get something more portable. I've bought a Jet City JCA22H and a Harley Benton 2x12 cab with V30's, and I think it sounds much better at the sound levels I play at.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Are there any good hot rodded jcm800 style amps with built-in power attenuators? Preferably not super large and heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

After The War posted:

You pretty much just described the Peavey Windsor.

Didn't they stop making them because they were poo poo?

On another note, what are peoples' experiences with the 1w Marshalls? I've thought about buying the JCM1H.