Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Who knows if they're even plugged in. It's essentially a commercial, being at a guitar center and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Iucounu posted:

What amp is this? I've been drowned out using 15 watt amps. Maybe I play with heavy hitting mongoloids.

Tube 15s are much different than SS 15s, you know.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
You can find a JC120 for less than $400 on craigslist if you look. They're big motherfuckers and go for cheap because of it. Great amp. Essentially two 60-watt amps rather than a single 120-watt one. Recordings don't convey how amazying and dreamy that chorus is when it's right in front of you.

Alternatively, any old silverface Fender.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Lol dude is selling a 70's Bassman 10 for 150 bucks on craigslist. Says there are just some "minor issues with the master volume". Is it just me or should something like this be going for a lot more? I'm kind of skeptical. I'm pushing him for more info about the problem right now.

These things are some of the cheapest routes to awesome tone, the trade off is how loving big and heavy they are. If you can deal with it, go for it; you won't be paying more than $100 to get it fixed. They're also decent platforms for modding -- nobody really desires silverfaces since they made so many of them.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
As a guy who owns a blackface Bassman and a 15w Pro Jr., I can say that I've MAYBE ran into two gigging situations in the past 18 months where I've needed more balls than the little guy could bring. I suppose the type of music you play matters too, but an attenuator and probably a dirt pedal are gonna be needed to get some nice dirty tones from the Bassman at a reasonable volume.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably just buy a Blues Jr.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

I just picked up a Leslie speaker Model 16. Has anyone played or worked with one? If so, how loud is it supposed to be when nothing's plugged in. The rotating drum is definitely audible from about 10' away without anything connected.

I've got an 18. Yeah, they're kind of loud. I imagine that maybe they weren't 40 years ago, but I don't care enough to have it looked at. It's a little noisy for recording and a little bulky for gigging with so it's just kind of a fun oddity thing.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Blues Jr./Hot Rod Deluxe/Hot Rod Deville. Depending on how loud you need to go. They work great for dadrock, but if you're not into that, they take pedals beautifully as well.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
You'll be very happy with a Blues Junior or a Pro Junior. Just make sure the one you try isn't buzzy.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
You'd need to add a dummy load. It's doable, but you'd probably be best off going with your original plan of tube combo.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Keep an eye out for real JCs on craigslist. Schmucks like me by them and then can't get rid of them since they're so loving big.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
My Bassman is a little fizzy. At low volumes, very fizzy. And When I turn on or off the Deep (on bass channel) or Bright (on normal instrument channel) I get a loud pop. What's going on? Do I need to re cap it?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Heavy heavy mother fuckers though. And you dirt pedals become a necessity. Still great amps

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
What style of music do you play?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Hello to friends!

Can I run an Orange CR120 through an old 1966 Bassman 2 x 12 Cabinet? I don't know if it will cancel phases, or make fire, because impedance is wizardry to me and I am a child, but you lot all seem very smart.

Thanks!

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
So... Yes?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
why jc120 on its side

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

AndrewP posted:

I went to the store today to try amps. I need something with a master volume so that eliminates a lot of Fenders, but two amps I tried stuck out - Fender Bassbreaker 15 and the Marshall DSL40CR. I tried the DSL20 but it only had two channels instead of the 40's four, and I just didn't love it. Even though it's less powerful it doesn't have MV knovs and it didn't scale down as nicely as the 40 did.

Anyone own the DSL40CR or Bassbreaker 15? Also tried the AC15 which I liked a lot but I'm looking for something with an FX loop.

can you write a little about yourself as a player? hobbyist? gigging guitarist? record any? what styles or genres? any other key pieces of your rig you already use that are important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Gorgar posted:

I suspect I'm the only one left in the thread that still uses big tube amps. EL34s, 6L6s, 6550s. I've tried the little tube amps but I just don't like the sound of a little tube being pushed. Big tubes have a sort of a heft to them that I really like.

'66 Pro Reverb here