Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Do any of you guys have any love for a particular battery-powered amp? Not just for sound, but for battery life, size (definitely don't want anything too big), durability, extra features, etc. I'm looking to buy a "play this literally anywhere" amp, but there doesn't seem to be a wealth of info on the subject.

I'm not concerned about price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Thanks guys, this should work out perfectly.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

ruinedhero posted:

Fender Super Champ XD - it's tube amp that brand new goes for $300 and is pretty drat diverse for it's price. It has a good standard clean channel, then a second channel that emulates 12 different type of amp sounds from acoustic to metal and it even has built in effects. It's a 10 inch speaker, but it is plenty loud and the clean channel is tight as hell.

Seconding this recommendation. As a budget guitarist, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this amp.

Pros:

- Like ruinedhero said, the clean channel is very good.
- The voices on the second channel are also good, some more than others (love the brit voices (voice 9 in particular, for those of you who have one), enjoy the blackface voices, dislike the jazz voice, hate the acoustic voice)
- Messing around with the built in effects (delay, chorus, reverb, tremelo, vibratone) has helped me decide what effect pedals I want to get in the future (thus saving me from buying low-grade pedals upfront).
- As far as the effects go, the built-in reverb is pretty nice.

Cons:

- The effects only have a single knob tied to them for tweaks, so you can't customize your sound a whole hell of a lot outside of their settings. For a personal example, I can never seem to get a tremelo effect that is quite what I want (I've noticed that that particular effect seems to kill the attack more than I'd like). Of course, I'm looking into buying a tremelo pedal as a result, so I guess it's all good in the end!
- This is probably just isolated to me, since my buddy has the same amp, but I've had to send my amp in for repairs - twice. The first time was when it was right out of the box, the second time was about a week after I got it back the first time. Again, though, this seems to be isolated to me.
- How big is your space? I wanted to try using the super as a bedroom amp, but even with the volume turned up past 2 and a half or so, it was a bit too loud. I use the amp when I'm playing with my buddies (not currently in a band) so this is hardly a con, but I use my Micro Cube for practice now.

I definitely enjoy the amp. It's a drat good price for what you get.