Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Juaguocio posted:

Bass through guitar head, yes, no problem, but I would be very cautious about disconnecting the speakers on a vintage combo. The amp in question did have some prior issues though, so it probably wasn't just the bass that killed it. Alas, it now sits in our jam space collecting dust.

Maybe it was run with no load, if it's old it wouldn't have protection..?

plester1 posted:

Orange Thunderverbs are designed for both.

Only the 200W version has their "extended spectrum voicing" or whatever even though both the 50 and the 200 are marketed as guitar/bass amps. Haven't run a bass through one so can't comment on whether the 50 sounds markedly different/better than the 200.

mr_package fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Cumfartcocktails posted:

What the other guy said about the Orange Thunderverb I only kinda agree with. It doesn't have a massive amount of gain from what I remember when I tried one out, so you'd need a tube screamer or something to giv eyou a boost if you want a big sludge sound. Thunderverbs do have amazing bottom end though.
It has enough gain for Kyuss-levels of distortion, just not death metal.

I'd consider a Rocker-series Orange or the new Thunder-30 which apparently has more gain than any other Orange amp (according to their marketing claims, anyway).

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Philthy posted:

H&K Tubemeister 18 is at the top of my list (And price range) right now despite the dumb name and dumb blue glow.
I have one of these. I think it sounds very good. For me, I wanted an easy way to go pedal -> tube amp -> recording input and so the TM18 with its built-in redbox DI was perfect for that. In addition to the Orange there's a new mini Mesa Recto, and also Matamp Mini series as well.

I like that these amps are cheaper than their 100w cousins and plan to get a few of them over time.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Wouldn't the Dark Terror be more suited to stoner than the Tiny?

I'd also check out the Thunder 30, I played the 200 and thought it was close-but-not-quite Kyuss tone. More Sky Valley than Circus Leaves Town though. Kyuss is really a down-tuned fuzzy distortion as opposed to straight up fuzz circuit like Truckfighters though so it seems you will have to decide which you really want.

Mojo Hand Colossus pedal will get you close I think. I quite like the Boss HM-3 which was recommended to me here in the ML like 4 years ago.

But none of these really get me where I want, tone wise, so now I'm saving up for an Electric Amp.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Thanks for the tip-off about Hovercraft amps-- I have a Dwarvenaut mkii headed my way!

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Confused why any of the 'fuzz' pedals are considered stoner, this sound is cranked amp right, not fuzz. Maybe cause I have more a thrash metal background I'm confused about distortion tones. For me the ultimate stoner metal tone is Sky Valley Kyuss and that doesn't sound like fuzz to me. I'm really thinking about these pedals like LSTR etc. that are fuzz pedals but are supposed to be giving that sound of Matamp / Electric amp. Old Electric demos sound amazing and I've always wanted one, but they aren't fuzz circuits right? Like in the preamp gain stage it's fuzz or distortion or what, I guess is my ask here. Overdrive/distortion is a different beast. So why are these stoner pedals doing fuzz? Am I confused? Maybe in the end gain is gain is gain?? Or maybe Sleep was using fuzz so that approaches dirt from another angle and that's what people are trying to get here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah that's what I mean, why are we buying fuzz pedals to get that sound if it was originally done with an OD pedal and an amp? It's just weird because that Dunwich pedal sounds great, I think Sarcophagus sounds great, I think the LSTR sounds great, these pedals are all in the realm of tones I like, but they're kind of an approximation, right? I mean if it works it works, but something isn't adding up here.

Like those Electric amp demos, man they sound just about perfect and I wish I had bought one back before whatever is going on now with that company started. They're better fuzz than any fuzz pedal, but they aren't a fuzz circuit, know what I mean? If they're based on old Matamp designs they can't be the only company doing them though, right? Anyone else make a great stoner metal amp these days? Or maybe there's not so much to it, plug into a great metal amp and tune to C?

Anyway one thing I remember about Kyuss is an old interview that went basically "we did everything you're supposed to do that people don't, like we put the guitar cabs at the end of a hallway and the mics at the other end". I don't remember the details, but seems like a big part of Sky Valley sound might have been a far mic setup.