Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

AndrewP posted:

Just a basement player that occasionally jams, no gigs. Blues, country, rock. I have an HX Stomp that is great for headphone playing, but I'm tired of headphone playing all the time and I've never had a tube amp before.

100% do not need a loud amp, this is all about me wanting a tube amp for once. The 15 and 40 watt amps I tried at the store sounded good to me with the master volume turned down, but I definitely need to try some very low wattage amps. Also want something with an effects loop so I can run the Stomp through it to use its power amp and speaker sometimes.

Bottom line - I want a tube amp that has a nice full sound at bedroom levels. Easy, right?

Obviously hard to check out in person, but the monoprice stage right 15w is usually about $260, has a 1 watt attenuator switch built in, spring reverb, and it has an effects loop.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

This just came up on Craigslist lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Milosh posted:

I just got a benson monarch +. Power scaling is ridiculously good.

Those are so nice.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

H13 posted:

So I've been working on a big holiday project about how and why the Marshall JVM is good actually.

Plenty of online nerds hate it. Marshall nerds especially hate this amp. I decided I would try to prove them wrong by recording a bunch of music and ranting at them.

So here's a long-form video where I talk about how much I love this amp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1PoTB5-m7Y

But if you don't want to hear a nerd rant about an amp for half an hour and instead wanna hear how kickass the amp can sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qF04PbRps

There's all the bits of music I recorded for it.

ENJOY.

I'm very excited to watch this later

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The only people who give a poo poo about tubes are in hospice which is Friedman’s target market.

I'm under 40 lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I was playing my buddy's Marshall Valvestate last night. Might not be a real tube amp, but it sure sounded great at low volume. plus it had a 2x12" speakers, can get loud as gently caress and costs like $300

Marshall is really great at modeling Marshall stuff. Vox is really good at modeling vox stuff. Fender is really good at modeling fender stuff. Everything else is pretty good now too from what I've heard and played.

I'm mostly interested in tube stuff as a DIYer and an ADHD collector thing now and I'm fully willing to admit that.

But you have to admit it feels really cool to play directly into a big rear end vintage amp in front of a nice 212 or 412. It is so choice. Sucks to move though. I'm glad it has wheels.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Post the guts of that AIMS. I bet it’s lousy with glass!!!

My amp tech who fixed it and sold it to me has some really good pictures of the other one he fixed that he kept.
https://www.kentonelectrix.com/1971-aims-vt100a

Each of the four channels has its own 7025, then mixed with another 7025. Then there is an 12AT7 for the reverb driver and for the phase inverter. Finally two 6550 or KT88 power tubes.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 27, 2024