Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Scarf posted:

I want a 2x15 fridge.

I want a 4x15 fridge. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

No, you can't. The amp needs a speaker load or you will damage the output transformer. Also, not sure if you're talking about running the speaker out into the interface but that would be a very bad idea.

What you can do is get some sort of load box or attenuator with a line out which you can then attach to your interface. You will also need some sort of cab sim or it will sound like hot garbage. Some fancy load boxes have built in cab simulation but they tend to be either expensive or crap. Alternatively there are plenty of free cab simulations available online which run inside any VST host.

I have one of these which should work pretty well for you as long as you aren't completely cranking your amp.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Probably not much but they recommend that the attenuator be rated for twice the wattage of the amp. Since the amp wattage is supposed to be for clean power, if you're pushing the amp into distortion then the actual wattage can be a lot higher. I doubt it would be an issue in this case but there are higher rated units available.

When you use an attenuator it's also easy to run into the trap of running your amp flat out more than you usually would since you don't have to worry about the volume so much. This tends to shorten the life of power tubes considerably.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

comes along bort posted:

we aren't all blessed enough to bask in mr dumple's glory

"Wang Bar"

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

For attenuators I recommend the Weber Mass line of attenuators. They seem to be a fair bit cheaper than the competition and sound really good. They use a speaker motor for the load so they react more naturally than resistor based loads.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I don't think he's talking about running from the speaker output into the Roland, but rather running from the DI output into the front of the JC55.

I think that's still going to cause issues though since it's a balanced out to an unbalanced in.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Ah right, I got the wrong idea there.
Yeah, still not a great idea. Running the combo speakers through the head is still the way I'd go if possible.

Agreed. If you have any confidence at all with a soldering iron it should be pretty simple to add in a switching jack between the amp and speakers.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah, what I'm suggesting is adding an input to the speakers on the JC55 into which you can plug the fender head.

It's not just impedance that's a problem with the direct out on the fender. It looks like it has a balanced line out which is not going to work well into the front of the JC55. At best you will get a very attenuated signal. You could maybe get around that by using some sort of reamp type box I guess.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I think guitar specific speakers are more defined by what they cut out rather than what they leave in, whereas bass speakers tend to be more full range. It might sound okay but there might be a bunch of extra frequencies in there which makes things sound a bit poo poo. It will depend on exactly which speakers and exactly how you use them I guess.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Fun fact; the early Ampeg fridges used guitar speakers. No idea if Josh Homme used those ones though.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I have no first hand experience but if it's anything like the standalone version it's probably garbage.

Watch this awkward video where Rob Chapman and Lee Anderton try and rationalise why it sounds so bad. Presumeably the strange Danish man has their families held hostage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCskTx1vYKU

Really I'll just take any excuse to post this video.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

If your pedals are capable of handling line level input and you're running long cables then running at +4 will potentially result in less noise. So it's worth a try at least.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Weber mini mass

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Waldstein Sonata posted:

...I may never need to buy an amp again.

lol

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

What sort of load box are you using? I know the Weber Mass attenuators don't care what the speaker impedance is as long as the amp and the attenuator are matched.

There's a very good chance you will be able to re-wire the cab to 4ohms if you really want to use the Bassman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

If the master volume is limiting your choices you could always buy whichever amp you like the sound of and factor in $180 for a weber minimass.