Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

O hey, I was last told to expect December but my "THR30IIWL THR30 II Wireless 30W" amp shipped today. Can't wait to dive into it.

Did you get the 30 watt wireless?

Seriously though, I have the 10 and it's awesome. I wish it had the output options of the 30. I'm not in love with the bass sound, but that might be related to the speaker size. Everything else is good and intuitive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

As a current amp tech apprentice I cant wait for all the business fixing Mesas when Gibson inevitably fucks em up

Aren't Mesas basically the worst thing to fix? I seem to remember amp techs refusing to touch then because they're crammed full of a billion components in way too little space.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wasn't Blackstar originally some blokes from Marshall who decided to do their own thing?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The main attraction of tubes is that you only have a few knobs to fiddle with, instead of infinity options. Plus you can tell yourself that the reason you're cranking the volume is to get a cool sound and not because being loud as gently caress is awesome.

In practice, I'm a modeller, because I don't have a place to be loud and also the Yamaha thr10ii is sufficiently simple that I can just use the knobs to get good enough sounds without spending hours finding the right tone.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I take it you've never seen a modern high gain amplifier?

Yeah, those combine the worst of both worlds.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I use the thr10iiw and am very happy, although I'm pretty uninterested in chasing tones. I will absolutely recommend getting the wireless version for the Bluetooth connection. It's extremely handy to play music from your phone via Bluetooth, and it has doubled as a regular Bluetooth speaker on many occasions. I haven't felt the need to go wireless on the guitar, so I don't know if that is worth it.

I'm sure the katanas do equally well though, and they have a lot more options if you're into that poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eh, I'll be contrary and say that the interface and computer setup is wrong for me personally. I don't really have a computer outside work, and I certainly don't want to spend time starting the whole thing up before I can play. I need something where I plug in the guitar, turn the power on and then noise comes out. It's all about what you want from the setup though, I totally get the computer setup, especially if it's your posting station that's always on anyway.

Also, an advantage to the thr10iiw and similar amps is the mobility. I can play Slayer in the garden or park or wherever (with headphones because I'm a coward), which is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No opinion on the specifics, but if you found the amp that has The Sound, you should probably get it if you have the cash. Only slight issue is about the volume, modellers can get quiet, but I'm pretty sure the evh amps don't, so only get them if you have a proper rehearsal space.