Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So after my last tube rig got stolen last year (Laney VH100R half stack) I've decided to go digital with a Fractal Audio Axe-FX II. The new generation of amp modeling devices are the first to really nail the sound of great tube amps. Also it's smaller, lighter, and easier to drag in and out of pubs. I'm so happy to be done with the expense, hassle, and volume tube amps require.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

One thing to consider is what kind of speaker cab you already have. If it's a 2x12 with Celestion blues, it will sound like an AC30. Other cabinets and speaker types will have a significant effect on the sound, for better or worse. But you can't expect to plug an AC30 head into a 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks and expect it to sound like an AC30 combo.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Cab simulation has gotten really good over the past couple years.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

There are tons of dudes who gig with fake rigs. Assuming that's not the case, he could have one of the combos running as a combo, and the other combo acting as a head feeding one or both of the orange cabs.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was at some flea market music shop today and I heard an amazing tone from a cheap ibanez amp. I've realized that instead of upgrading from the 60 watt XXX combo amp I have to a bigger "better" setup I should downgrade to the best practice amp out there for me. I never crank it past bedroom levels so I'm getting a weak tone regardless of any other factors. Am I wrong or this a smart idea? What are the best low wattage amps around at the moment? Are any of the mini stacks around truly worth it for the expandable sound projection? Questions?

Egnater Tweaker sounds great at lower volume.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

A Tweaker definitely sounds like a direction I'd like to experiment In. What's with some people complaining about the clean tone? It sounds fine from what I've heard so it could be usual reviewer brainfarting.

They're well liked for handling pedals in front/in loop yeah?

I owned one for a while. I thought the clean tone was fine. The only issue is limited headroom as you might expect from a low wattage amp. I used a Line 6 M9 for time-based delays in the loop (delay, reverb, etc) and it sounded brilliant.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

It's really rare for a low wattage tube amp to sound like a cranked larger amp. The character of the distortion of these amps is very different. Don't expect a cranked 15w amp to sound like a 100 watt Marshall at full tilt just quieter. Even the difference between a 15 and a 30 is significant (see VOX AC15/30 for example).

Also, low wattage amps still get loud as gently caress. Wattage works on a factor of ten. You need ten times the wattage to double the volume. This makes a ten watt amp capable of about half the volume of a 100 watt amp (this is still loud as gently caress). People get a 50 expecting it to be half the volume of a 100 but they're totally wrong.

Personally if you really want the big amp sound get the amp you want and use an attenuator. this is still a sonic compromise but it'll get you closer to what you want than going for a low wattage amp.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

I had a 5 watt amp that was plenty loud enough for full volume practice with a drummer.

What amp is this? I've been drowned out using 15 watt amps. Maybe I play with heavy hitting mongoloids.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

juche mane posted:

Tube 15s are much different than SS 15s, you know.

I was referring to tube 15s.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So I've sold my Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II, it was simply too complex and I don't have the patience to spend a ton of time tweaking. Also, using it with a powered monitor didn't have the same room presence as a real amp. That said, I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of a used VHT/Fryette Deliverance 60 head! Nothing like a simple single channel amp to uncomplicate my gear situation.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Roland Cubes are decent practice amps. It will do you just fine.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I got my VHT/Fryette Deliverance 60 head in today. This thing is an absolute beast, and I am really going to need an attenuator.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

hokay, last question: if I use a Load Dump between my tube amp and my speaker, can I just leave the speaker unplugged if I don't intend on sending signal to it, or do I need to have the speaker plugged into the speaker out and then turn the load dump completely down? I read that if a tube amp isn't plugged into a speaker it will perceive it as infinite ohm and proceed to blow up...

If your attenuator is set to load, you don't have to have a speaker cabinet plugged in.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So this is the first Kickstarter project I've seen a major amp company create:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9179415/fryette-valvulator-gp-di-tube-guitar-recording-amp?ref=live

I went in for the $499 pledge. I really like Fryette products and I really need a quiet DI recording solution that doesn't sound like rear end. Seems like it would make a great practice amp going into a cab too.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

A VT22 was my first tube amp. I can confirm it's clean, loud, and heavy as gently caress.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Final Question:

You guys think a 22watt amp is pretty usable in a bar/pub setting?

Depends on how loud your drummer is and how much clean headroom you require.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

There are a couple on eBay for a good price, good wattage, etc. Only hang up is lack of a gain channel, but I may just suck it up and do it.

It's that or a Super Sonic. :P

Maybe get the 60w Super Sonic? I heard a guy gig with one once and his tone was great.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Syndic posted:

Interesting suggestion about the VHT - I've always been impressed by the tones from the big VHT stacks, so that's definitely on the radar now.

Keep in mind the current VHT company that makes the small tube combos has nothing to do with the former VHT, now called Fryette Amplification. He sold them the name, but kept control of all his designs. VHT is now a Chinese company making tube combos, and I can't attest to their quality.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I use a THD Hotplate. It's pretty good but I think there are other more transparent attenuators in the market now.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

What are your guy's favorite pedal platform amps around $500? Looking for something loud enough for a band with a decent amount of clean headroom

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I've played ENGLs with the gain between 2 and 3 and it's basically in JCM800 territory at that level

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

I don't think anybody in this thread has ever had anything nice to say about Line 6 anything.

Helix is pretty great. I don't think there are any Line 6 small amps worth buying though

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Went to a shop today and checked out a Quilter Overdrive 200 and I still haven’t got my jaw off the floor. What an unbelievable amp. I would have thought it was a 100 watt tube amp if you told me so while I was playing it. Class D solid state is the future. They gave me a deal on it so I bought it on the spot.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

I'd just get a 16 ohm speaker for my cab, since it's a 1x12 and I'm not crazy about the Celestion 70/80 that's in it, but I am unfortunately completely unable to get the back off of the cab, despite hours of effort, so I don't think replacing the speaker is viable.

Is there a chance the speaker is front mounted and accessible through the grill?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

After spending the better part of 5 years fiddling with modelers and solid state amps I got rid of them and scored a used Mesa Dual Rectifier half stack for cheap. Nothing like big glass tone bottles

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Honestly, after getting my Recto-Verb 25 (which I also pair with a PPC212) and my 5:25 express plus, I rarely feel like I use any of my other amps live.

I was really close to getting the ROV25 when I found a great deal on the Dual Rec. you have the head or combo?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The low end response of small wattage amps always leaves me wanting. Maybe I got ruined by my first amp being a ‘72 VT-22, but I can’t stand flubby low end. 50 watt minimum for me.

Solutions: amps with a good master volume, or a good attenuator. I haven’t found a good attenuator yet, but I traded in some gear to order a Fryette Power Station 2, and we’ll see how it is.

It’s not really an attenuator in the truest sense of the word, it’s really a good load box combined with a tube power amp section (two 6L6 at 50 watts) and an effects loop. This is rad because you can bring low wattage amps up to gigging level and also tame larger amps. Also adds an effects loop to amps without them or amps with poorly executed ones.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Danyull posted:

If I had the choice between a reactive load box to DI my Fender HRD into an audio interface or buying a Blues Jr, which one of those would get me better results for recording? I currently use all amp/cab sims because the Hot Rod is way too loud even with the attenuator I have.

Reactive load to DI using IRs will get you the best sound, almost always better than a miced cab unless you have a really pro setup and are really good at micing. Even then the difference is negligible imo. Keep in mind not all reactive loads are created equal, check the reviews to see if the DI sounds good or not. The Suhr reactive load is supposedly pretty ace.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

That rhythm part sounds a lot like a Dual Rectifier

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

So should I really buy a reactive load box/attenuator? Is it really that useful as a low volume player? If it would really open my OR15 up and get it sounding even better somehow then I may as well. I am massively into the idea of being able to see if I like recording my amp direct since I dislike software but love the thought of being able to record straight into a DAW when necessary.

I use a reactive load with my Mesa Dual Rec and it's amazing. Recording direct and using cabinet IRs is my new go-to, even when volume isn't a concern. A good IR sounds indistinguishable from a real mic'd cab to me and it takes a lot of the variance and headache out of recording.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I’ve got a Fryette Power Station 2 and what’s really cool about it is that it has a 50 watt tube power amp built in so I can run a real cab to get feedback and feel while recording direct through the reactive load. You can also use it to beef up small tube amps if you want to use them with a live band. Really nice piece of kit.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Just got a Friedman JJ Jr (20 watt version of the Jerry Cantrell 100 watt head). Holy balls does this thing roar. Tightest and most aggressive EL84 based amp I’ve ever heard.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I've never heard a Supersonic sound bad. Seems like a really nice flexible amp. Takes pedals great too

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So... I got a reply from an amp builder I emailed in 2008. This guy builds handwired replicas of AC30s with all the classic preamps built in. I totally forgot I got on his list, but now I have a hand built replica of an early 60s JMI Vox. About to plug it in and see what all the fuss is about. Worst case scenario I can flip this with a bit of profit

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Huh, well that sounds like an OK position. I'd love to hear it

This was done with a very cheap Marshall cab so the speakers are not ideal at all, but it gives an okay idea of how it sounds. It's much much better in the room of course. Close miced with an SM57, guitar is an Anderson Cobra S. Raw tracks, no effects or processing. Crappy playing.

https://soundcloud.com/metamusique/sets/jmj-clips

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The EF-86 (“brilliant”) is the gainiest and most compressed channel on my amp my a long shot. I think I like the openness of the top boost channel a little more, but the brilliant channel is probably good for leads. I’ve got an empty AC30 cab and some celestion blues on the way and I’ll make some more clips. An A/B/Y switcher would be cool to make it run like a multi channel amp

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Yeah, that sounds absolutely fantastic. How loud were you playing on those recordings?

Halfway up and then fully cranked. It’s pretty loud but not as loud as I expected. The 4x12 soaked up a lot of volume I think. I’ve got it in a proper Vox cab with celestion blues and it’s louder now, but still not loud enough to hang with my band (we play too loudly, should probably bring it down a few notches). I actually liked the greenbacks better so I’ll probably switch them out sometime soon.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

trying to snag a Peavey Bandit 112 for $75 :getin:

That would be a great deal. I managed to get a red stripe model for $100 from a pawn shop last year. These things have been creeping up in price and getting harder to find

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I've been on a big Vox kick lately so I'm seconding that. Either AC15 or AC30S1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

scuz posted:

My Peavey Mark IV head keeps blowing fuses. Pretty sad cuz I spent a long time tryina find one, sent this one in to get services, and then blammo, 5 amp hours later it blows 3 fuses right after another.

I had this issue with my Dual Rec before realizing I was using normal fuses instead of slo-blow fuses. Check the owners manual and see if this amp calls for those