Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Schlieren posted:

I think I'll instead try to get something that works with the amp I've got but thanks anyway :)

If I have a conversation with professionals who have lots of experience and know-how I'll definitely post something here so we could have the value of their wisdom.

Speaking as an amp repair tech, guitar speakers just aren't made to reproduce the low end frequencies that basses produce unless run at very low volume. If you want, you can bypass the guitar speakers and run the amp into a bass cabinet, that would totally be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Juaguocio posted:

I wouldn't even try that. I fried a VT-22 that way.

There is literally no reason this would happen just by playing bass through it. Playing bass through a regular guitar amp head is absolutely harmless but it will shred guitar amp speakers.

Off the top of my head: Meshuggah used to use dual rectos to play bass; Jon Paul Jones used plexi heads early in his career; John Entwistle basically helped created the half-stack using a 100w Marshall guitar amp head; Robert Trujillo has a rectifier somewhere in his collection; and I know the Clash use Marshall guitar heads for their bass.

Edit: spelling

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 8, 2010

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Schlieren posted:

b) the whole "DON'T PLAY A BASS THROUGH A GUITAR AMP" is mostly an old wive's tale, especially when the bass playing is singularly in a recording environment, where rarely does the amp get driven anywhere near the point of speaker failure.

I think the assumption we had when you first posted your problem was that you were playing at above-bedroom levels, like if you were using the amp at gigs where a higher volume is required. The higher volume makes all the difference in the life of the speakers.

That's why the Bassman was such a spectacular failure as a bass amp when it was first introduced: The speakers just couldn't handle the low notes when played on a high volume for a period of time.