Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

QPZIL posted:

Back in my death metal touring days, I absolutely loved my 5150II. I recently sold it but plugged it in just to test it out before selling it and, gently caress... I forgot how amazing it sounded. A 5150II through a Marshall 1960 cabinet just sounds so great.

Now I play a Vox Valvetronix VT50. I don't have the need for a 4x12" amount of loudness, so this does the trick just fine, and I'm able to dial in a number of great sounds on it.

So there, that's my little anecdote for the thread.

For Three Red Lights: A Vox VT50 or 100 would very likely fit your criteria. I have the AD100VTH and it sounds crisp and super clear. I've been thinking of buying an EQ for the FX loop but I'm a picky bitch anyway and honestly it sounds fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
You need to be careful, yeah but it seems to be more of a tonal issue anyway. I'm playing it through a 4x12 Marshall cab from the 70s with genuine Celestion speakers and even the high gain settings won't cut through unless I dial down the gain just a touch. But that's all it takes, really. I've never played through a really high gain amp where you didn't have to tweak the settings a little to really punch through in a four piece.

I do get your criticism though. Maybe the VT is an improvement? Or the VT-XL or whatever with the higher gain selection.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

BronYAurStomp posted:

I'm looking to get a mini guitar amplifier, something really small. I tried a friends' fender mini twin, which was pretty terrible - no cleans to speak of and just generally crappy sounding. Anyone have suggestions? I was looking at the mini-cube. I'm kind of a VOX fan, I have an AC30 at home which I loving love, if that helps. I'm mostly interested in good, loud cleans, I have pedals if I want something else.

How about the Night Train? Vox 15wt head, I think.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

El Miguel posted:

Supposedly an EQ in the FX loop works wonders.

I had the exact same experience you did, and sold it. The thing was just inaudible and muddy in a band environment, no matter what.

I can vouch that an EQ in the FX loop does indeed work wonders. Currently I'm using a GE-7 in that capacity to make the amp not total poo poo. It's decent but I still would rather be able to afford an upgrade.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I'm in need of a quick equipment streamlining and upgrade.

I was talking to the guitar tech for a big, national touring act (I'll avoid namedropping) and he mentioned that both the guitarists were playing $75-100 guitars that had been properly intonated and that most of the tone (which was fantastic) was coming from the amps.

One of the guitarists was playing a Fender Blues DeVille 212 combo and I looked up on Ebay that they're usually selling $500-600 used.

It doesn't seem possible that a cheap, lovely guitar would sound that good through an amp that's less than $1000. Am I wrong or was he full of poo poo?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Wow, well that settles it. Thanks guys, I guess I just discovered a great new budgeting trick.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I tested out the Blackstar HT40 Club 40w combo amp a couple months ago and found it to be perfect in tone, at least playing solo. But looking around online I found Blackstar makes a 20w version of the same amp. So I have a couple quick questions for some knowledgeable people.

1. Would an all tube 20w amp be loud enough on its own for a live band setting? My drummer always plays extremely loud and I currently have a lovely 50w all tube amp that, while tone sucking and balls-less, is more than adequate volume-wise.

2. How do Blackstars in general sound with a band? They seem to have a pretty full tone when playing by yourself so I don't know how that would translate to a full band situation. Would it be muddy and clash with the bassist? Get buried by the drums?

Thank you for any help!

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

massive spider posted:

Personally I've found blackstars to have quite a dark voicing to them, marshalls by comparison have a bit of fizz to them but that high end helps in a mix.

Regarding the ISF, left (american) will tend to cut through better than right (british) because american has a cut in the low mids (and percieved high boost) while british has a cut more in the high mids. I was looking for a plexi-ish sound and thats to be found probably closer to the middle than exclusively over to the british side.

Thank you, this is very useful advice! I would probably keep it on the American side because the gain sounds richer there. How about volume for a 20w? Does it have to enough to be heard over a full band without pushing it to the limits?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Because it's cheaper, to be honest.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I'm about to upgrade my amplifier and I've got a sizable but flexible budget.

Right now I'm looking at a Blackstar HT-60, a Vox TB35C2 (the Tony Bruno-designed 212), a Vox AC30cc2x, a Matchless Chieftain and possibly a Dr. Z combo if I can find one for under $2500 somehow.

Does anybody own one of these or has anyone tested them out? I'm having a hard time finding anything but the Blackstar and the AC30 in local stores.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Oh my. That is a really delicious sound coming out of that tiny little thing. I don't suppose they make a 2z12 extension cab? This is going to be for touring so I really wanted to keep it down to one piece...but I could make an exception for that since the head is so small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I ended up going with the Mesa/Boogie Transatlantic TA-30 1x12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj6abXIO1Kk

This is a demonstration of the head/cab but I got the combo. It sounds fantastic so far and is surprisingly versatile. Also loud as poo poo. It's got a master volume but it can get pretty noisy so I also wound up getting an ISP Decimator noise gate pedal with it.