Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Gramps posted:

One of the best bass tones you'll ever hear on tape is a p-bass through a blackface deluxe.

Funny you should say that. I just finished a recording session where a Rickenbacker 4001 went through a black panel Deluxe on an auxiliary feed and it sounds fantastic indeed. So much so that the DI'ed track was deleted.

Another nice bass->guitaramp set-up is a muted Jazz or 4001 played with a felt pick through a Twin. Found that out by accident the other day. I recorded it at low volume via a large diaphragm AKG. Result: wall of bass with a layer of clear mids on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What's a good middle of the road/"middle class" tube amp? Currently I'm runnin bass and guitar through my bass rig, but really, it's novelty and necessity more than anything and I aim to buy a guitar amp within the next few months.

Definitely gonna need something giggable, so in the 30 - 50 watt range. Combo, preferably, but I have no problem running a head through my bass cab, which is a run of the mill Ampeg 410. 8 ohms.

I'd just get a used old Twin if you gig a lot. Easy to fix if something breaks. If you really want lower volume while keeping the oomph from driving the amp hard you can take out 2 powertubes.

But you'll get 100 different suggestions; probably all valid too. All depends on what music you're into.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Honestly, I had been looking at a Vox Valve Reactor, but IIRC, those are hybrids, and I can't find one in store to really check out. My bass amp is a hybrid, but I'm not entirely impressed with the tube preamp in it. I wish I could find a good Fender Twin, but every one I've come across was at the 1000$ range. Same for the Bassman.

I play lots of music. Latest group is kind of a Black Keys thing. Playing through a buddy's Line 6, which I absolutely do not like in the slightest.

I hadn't heard of them before, they sound pretty good.

I'd stay away from any model that doesn't have a confirmed reputation of being roadworthy, that's why I mentioned the Twin. Any you can always find a local rental in case yours gets damaged in transport. It's been a while since I shopped for amps, but perhaps you can find that lower priced version they made at some stage called The Twin - I think. Or keep combing the classifieds. One in your budget range is bound to turn up.

From my own experience, the only amps that were able to take a constant beating on the road were Twins and Bassmans (the silver panel 100W heads), Hi-Watts, and original AC-30s. I suppose Marshalls would do the trick to, but I never used them. Everytime someone in the band tried out something different for a while it ended in ampsoup one way or another.

That's not taking into account a whole generation of newer makes and models, of course. Someone will have a better suggestion that'll fit your budget.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Han Solo posted:

Does anyone have experience with Dr. Z amps? I haven't been able to play one yet, but everything I've read on the internet has been overwhelmingly positive.

I'm only interested in the low end of the Dr. Z spectrum, the Carmen Ghia, the Maz 18 Jr and the Monza.

This fella reviews several Dr Z amps: http://www.youtube.com/user/gearmanndude, including the Maz 18. Sound pretty good to me.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Yes, that's a lovely amp. Still lusting after one of those blonde Bassman setups that Brian Setzer uses, but I think he's bought them all.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I have an old silverface Fender from the '70s, early model Musicmaster Bass: 12W, 1x12, 1 Volume, 1 Tone (not the later model with the extra switch).

Where I live now there's only one way to insert a plug into the mains - forced by an off-centre ground pin - and even with the amp switched off, the pilot light comes on sort of half bright, kind of like the stand-by light on some amps.

If I use an intermediate cord with a different ground config (the amp's plug takes both) and reverse the direction of the plug, the pilot light only comes on when the amp's actually switched on.

Any of you know why? And is one way better than the other? I've had this thing for ages and used to have it plugged in so there was no light when the amp was switched off, and it's been running fine. So no big deal, just curious.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Mondrian posted:

So I don't know where you live or what the wiring is like, but that light shouldn't be on with the power off.

The usual setup is that the 3 prongs - live, neutral and earth are connected to the amp, and the power switch connects or disconnects the live wire.
Now I'm not an electrician, but I think your live and neutral wires are reversed, either in your house or in your amp. My reasoning is that since neutral and earth are usually connected somewhere - either at your house's supply or at the local substation - if the neutral is disconnected, you can still somewhat develop a voltage since the hot and earth are connected - I'm not entirely sure how it's developing across the transformer, but this is all guesswork at this point.

Basically get your amp's power connection and transformer checked, and if that is fine, get an electrician to look at your house wiring.

Thanks. I suppose it's the amp then, cause it's been like that all over Europe; can't imagine the house wiring was faulty everywhere. I only started to think about it since I moved to France, cause they have these off-centre ground prongs in the middle of their mains sockets, which leave only one direction to fit a plug.

Do you reckon it's okay as long as I make sure it's plugged in - using a power strip with symmetrical ground clips like they have in various other countries - so the light doesn't come on? The amp would still be grounded, cause the plug fits different kinds of european socket types.

Or could/should I just inverse live and neutral on the amp? I got it used ages ago, but there's no sign of tampering on the transformer side, and it still has the original, closed (non-removable) plug and cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Mondrian posted:

I didn't know you were in Europe and I don't really get how those plugs work... All I would do would be to change the power switch to a DPST type and disconnect both power lines from the transformer when it's turned off

I'll do that. Thanks!