Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
What's a good middle of the road/"middle class" tube amp? Currently I'm runnin bass and guitar through my bass rig, but really, it's novelty and necessity more than anything and I aim to buy a guitar amp within the next few months.

Definitely gonna need something giggable, so in the 30 - 50 watt range. Combo, preferably, but I have no problem running a head through my bass cab, which is a run of the mill Ampeg 410. 8 ohms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Underflow posted:

I'd just get a used old Twin if you gig a lot. Easy to fix if something breaks. If you really want lower volume while keeping the oomph from driving the amp hard you can take out 2 powertubes.

But you'll get 100 different suggestions; probably all valid too. All depends on what music you're into.

Honestly, I had been looking at a Vox Valve Reactor, but IIRC, those are hybrids, and I can't find one in store to really check out. My bass amp is a hybrid, but I'm not entirely impressed with the tube preamp in it. I wish I could find a good Fender Twin, but every one I've come across was at the 1000$ range. Same for the Bassman.

I play lots of music. Latest group is kind of a Black Keys thing. Playing through a buddy's Line 6, which I absolutely do not like in the slightest.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Hiwatt and VOX are my dreams. Maybe in a year I'll have the cash for one of them.

Yeah right. :P

EDIT

I literally live in Peavey country. Lots of PR here means that most used gear on the market is Peavey poo poo.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Anyone have anything to say about the VOX hybrid amps?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

betterinsodapop posted:

I have one and hate it. It is a 30 watt hybrid combo, and it sits in my closet. It's gain is miserable and muddy as poo poo. I think you'd be better off w/the recently mentioned Vox AC4TV, if you're trying to keep the cost low.

Ah. Bummer. I need something giggable and I don't think 4 watts will cut it :P

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Played a Top Hat in Tennessee recently. Was amazing.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Planning on picking up a Red October Deville in a few weeks.

Anyone have any experience with them?

They're a "special edition" with higher quality speakers and about 100$ more, but other than that, I can't find any concrete info. Some sites say it has a more "Euro" style OD while others don't mention it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
cross post

So what would you do with this?

Ex wife is gone so I actually have some kind of money to spend. I decided not to go all out just yet. If I get some serious projects going I'll grab something more prestigious and... well... Maybe I won't? The Line 6 belonged to a guitarist in my previous band. I know it pretty well, I know it's a work horse, and everything minus the digital reverb sounds great.

Peavey was practically brand new. Got them both for $400.

Figuring I'll get a good A/B switch and tweak them to sound great when played together and use the Line 6 as an added effects and noise machine when needed.

Glad to finally have something coming together (sold some killer gear to get married. How's that for luck?) and I can annoy the neighbors again. I know it's not the greatest, but in jams they've sounded pretty spot on to these ears.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
One Tube 2x12, one solid state with a pretty good modeler/effects board on it 1x12. I wanna run these together. Thoughts?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Nah. All tube!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
At that price anything should sound awesome. :P

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Stopped by a local store. Buddy working there can get me basically a Peavey Blues 115/210/Classic 30 for 450 bucks. Both sound really good. Reverb sounded awesome. Tremelo was nice as well.

Only downside is shared EQ and no master volume. However, not a deal breaker. My question...

What is controllable by the foot pedal? Just the channel change or is the reverb and/or tremolo turned on/off by the pedal?

If I put an extension cab on it does it turn off the internal speakers?

Would anyone recommend the 115 over the 210?

I have a ValveKing foot pedal. Would it work on any of these amps? Two button with a stereo type input on the end. On the VK one button changes channels and the other turns on/off Brightness.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Final Question:

You guys think a 22watt amp is pretty usable in a bar/pub setting?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
drat. Was thinking of a Fender Super Sonic 22, but my drummer gets pretty loud and my bassist uses a heft Ampeg rig.

Back to looking at a Hot Rod 210 or the Blues Deluxe. Maybe a Peavey Blues whatever 210 as well.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

I sent you a PM, but goddammit, you need a big silverface Fender. I swear to god, if you don't get one, I'm going to have to find one and mail it to you.

There are a couple on eBay for a good price, good wattage, etc. Only hang up is lack of a gain channel, but I may just suck it up and do it.

It's that or a Super Sonic. :P

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Is the reverb busted?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Anyone you recommend in particular?

I played a 100 watt Super Sonic Twin today. Sounded great but drat is 100 watts too much for me. Haven't found a 60 watt in the wild. Liked the Super Sonic Twin because the clean channel had a gain knob that dirtied it just enough.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Possibly the fuses. This happened to my ValveKing a bunch.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Nah. Hippie poo poo is my game.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Worst part is that most used on eBay/GC Used are the older model, which I've read is not quite as reliable. Though GC Used does have a new 60 model, its 112 only.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Smash it Smash hit posted:

just get a vintage fender reverb? dual, super, Princeton- they are all solid and if you keep an eye out you can find one for the same price.

I'm keeping an eye out for them all. I'm leaning towards Super Sonic basically due to it having a Bassman circuit in Channel 1.

My only concern with getting a pre 75 amp is dealing with a tube rectifier.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 25, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

iostream.h posted:

Nope, not at all:

Guitar -> Orange Input ->Orange FX Send -> Mustang Input -> Mustang FX Send -> Orange FX Return -> NOISE

Again, just set the Mustang to as clean, flat and transparent a tone as possible BY ITSELF (not using the orange) before you patch it into the loop. That way you're only (well, in theory) adding effects and NOT the Mustang preamp tones to your signal.

Edit: Or, depending on what you're trying to accomplish, sell the Mustang and pick up a TC Electronic G-Major, throw it in the FX loop of the Orange and call it a day. You'll be THRILLED.

drat.

Can I do the same with my Line 6 and Fender Super Sonic?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
My Fender Super Sonic 112 has developed a faint fizz on the clean channel. Running distortion pedals or the gain channel sounds fine, but clean the sustain is hampered and there is a nasty robotic fizz sound in the background. Very faint but definitely audible. More so when the notes decay.

Doesn't seem to be affected by reverb or tone controls. I don't have tubes at the moment to test myself.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Anyone have any experience on Hovercraft? Think I'm gonna get one.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

I've been following him for a while. I almost bought a Dwarvenaut 20, but then ended up having to spend the money at the dentist instead (boo).

They seem like really nice, very high gain amps. Which one are you looking at?

Whatever the 50watt one is. They said they could mod it for 6v6 for me, which will make me happy.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Cross Post:

Impasse:

Probably at the beginning of the month I will buy either an Orange Dual Terror, Egnater Rebel 30, or a Fender Deluxe/Twin Reverb. I may MAY get a brand new Super Sonic just to see if the one I recently sold was a fluke since I really loved both channels on it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Schlieren posted:

This is totally untrue

Yup. Bass player in my band has a sludge rock/grungy band and he uses a VOX AC30 for his highs. No problems.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
On my second Fender Super Sonic amp. First one had an issue in the pre amp tubes that caused weird fizzing. Loved the amp otherwise so picked up another, which has been working fantastic for the past six months.

And then last Thursday I'd get this strange as hell "click click click click buzz" sound that I've heard several times with failing power tubes. I was about to be pissed but when looking at the back, while plugged in, ready to go, I noticed that whenever I touched the power cable the problem occurred. Changed out the power cable, moved it to another spot on the power supply, no issue.

So far.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
My drummer lets me use his Deluxe Reverb, which is a very sweet device.

But yeah, once I get moved out of an apartment I'll probably pick up a silverface.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I played a Two Rock the other day.

I dunno what that amp does, but it is loving magic. I'm gonna have to find some funds.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Did I mention to this thread that I picked up a Tone King Imperial MK II?

Cause I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

AchtungBaby posted:

Where the sexy pics at

They're coming. In the middle of moving to a house so my apartment is a mess.

I'll post some sound samples too.

ed

I'd like to try a Quilter but no one around here has them. Do they take pedals well? Do they have any on board gain and if so is it any good?