Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

brute_force posted:

I recorded some stuff for you (please excuse my lovely attempts at shredding):
Click here to listen to HT-5Demo.mp3 (it may be a little loud, I'm not used to recording... lower the volume I guess)
It's in several parts, you'll probably hear when each begins.
Part 1: Strat, Bridge SC Pickup (DiMarzio HS-3), clean channel, no reverb, 1x12
Part 2: Same, but with reverb ('68 Spring, check YouTube for more VerbZilla demos)
Part 3: Strat, Neck SC Pickup (DiMarzio YJM), Light OD, Reverb, 4x12
Part 4: Same as before but with max gain on the overdrive channel
Part 5: Superstrat, Bridge Humbucker (DiMarzio/Ibanez), max gain on overdrive channel, Reverb, 4x12
Part 6: Same but on clean channel with HT-DISTX at max gain

Also this was recorded in front of my computer so there's a bit more noise than usual. I'd also like to point out that it sounds better through the speaker, in my opinion. The emulation adds a bit of compression or something, but it still sounds pretty good.

As you can see, you can get pretty much anything from bluesy drive to gainy metal with just the overdrive channel, and it takes pedals really well. :)

This isn't the thread for it, I know, but could you point me out to some of the source material, or at least inspirational material, of the music you had been playing from part 2 to part 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

brute_force posted:

Thanks for asking. Most of it is just noodling/improvisation, with two notable exceptions. The beginning of part 3 is the main riff of Andy Timmons' Electric Gypsy, and the beginning of part 6 is the main riff of Carpe Diem (also Timmons). As you might have guessed, I am a huge fan of Timmons, my absolute favorite guitarist considering his tone, phrasing, dynamics, songwriting, and technique. As for other inspirational material, I don't really know any specifics, but I imagine I also take inspiration from other 'shredders' like Satriani and Vinnie Moore, as well as metal bands like Megadeth (Mustaine and Friedman are awesome), Maiden, Extreme (Nuno Bettencourt does some awesome funky metal stuff) and Opeth (favorite band), along with lots of other bands. That said, I'm not by any means anywhere near any of their abilities, but you gotta start somewhere. :)

Thanks a lot!

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Jargon thread would be cool

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Steiler Drep posted:

Don Manuel Robles Carballo (I believe that was his second name?), his brand is named MRC Amplification. Local to Costa Rica (I live there, currently residing in Boston but I'm going back in 2 weeks). This guy makes amazingly awesome amps for really cheap. I've had the opportunity to play with a JCM800 clone and a Plexi of some kind clone with something thrown in for the overdrive channel that sounded really meaty. I've heard from friends that he's a really nice guy who caters to your needs, and basically all the amp-making process consists of you going to his shop periodically playing around with what he's got there and telling him what you want. Or you could get an exact replica of a vintage amp.

This I just found browsing a Costa Rican music forum, but I don't know much more than this.

So back to my question...what amplifier just generally plays well with pedals?

Nothing to do with your question, but I always wondered what that little 'fuse' thing was? You can see it near the other buttons on the amp in your picture.