Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I try the super champ xd every time I go to guitar center. It's the best sub 300 dollar practice amp I've ever used. The peavey classic 30's are really good amps too. I've tried the blues junior and I liked the peavey better although the peavey didn't seem that much louder even though it's twice wattage. I also wouldn't recommend getting an amp much larger than 30 watts without an attenuator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Dumb crosspost because the small questions thread yielded nothing. :\

You should be fine with that setup. Naturally a 4x12 would sound better and fill a lot more space, but a decent 1x12 should produce enough volume to be heard over a drummer.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Eh, depends on the amp. If you're going the pedal route it really helps to have a high power, darker voiced amp like those old 70s monsters. A lovely sludge band I was in for a minute ages ago I ran a Boss FZ-2 into the clean channel of a block letter 5150, which is people normally gripe about because it's very dark.
[/quote]

Yes this. I have a fz-2, a 70's peavey classic vtx 4x10, and a les Paul copy with Emg's tuned to b standard and this combo nails the weedeater sleep stoner sound. The fz-2 sounds way better through the peavey than any other amp I've tried. Love that sound. Wish I could crank it up more often.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

HollisBrown posted:

Did we trade? I traded my DC400 to someone on this forum and for the life of me I can't remember who now.

That was me.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

I have this old hybrid peavey amp that's been acting up lately. I decided to order some new tubes for it to see if it helped any of the problems (plus the ones that are in it are likely ancient). It uses 2 6l6gc power tubes and I pulled one out to see what brand it was. I pulled it out and it only has 6 pins. I've never had another amp with 6l6's before, but I've changed el84's and they had all the pins. I don't see any evidence that anything broken off. Do they make these tubes with only 6 pins? The socket seems to have 8 pins but the tube has no 1 and 6 pin. One appears to be a sovtek and the other looks identical but don't see and markings on it. What's the deal? Help me out amp experts.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Schpyder posted:

6L6s and 5881s don't use pin 6 and only have pin 1 grounded to the tube outer shell if it's metal. If they've ever got those pins included, they're just dead pins.

FWIW, EL84s don't actually use pins 1, 6, or 8.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Wanted to be sure before I ordered new tubes.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Vox ac15 or 30.
Peavey classic 30.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

massive spider posted:

Apparently it's great for modellers too.

The Sunn concert slave is also similar and fairly cheap as well. Mine was $175USD. Not as cool as the fryette though.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

Double post update.
Fixing that capacitor did the trick.
Now have an awesome loud as hell amp for free:black101:

Another SA success story.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

So I have an Acoustic control corp 134 4x10 combo. It has what I suspect to be a a bad speaker. I want to try plugging into another speaker cab to confirm a bad speaker but naturally there are no mention of ohms on the speaker out jack or the speakers themselves. Downloaded the manual and it doesn't mention the ohms either. I have 2 speaker cabs, a 16 ohm Krank cab rated at 300 watts and a 8 ohm crate rated at 120 watts. Is it safe to assume I can plug it into one of my cabs to test without damaging the amp or cabinets? If it sounds fine through a speaker cabinet then I would probably convert it into a head and use it with the krank since the amp is rated at 200 watts. My gut tells me it would be fine through the krank but I thought I'd ask here since I am paranoid about ruining gear.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Gorgar posted:

A quick googling indicates the amp is probably 4 ohms. link

Another page claimed it was switchable from 4-8. Maybe that was a later refinement, or a head model. I didn't look too hard. Anyway, either cab should be safe.

Cool. Gonna test it out in a bit. Thanks.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

jwh posted:

Do you have a multimeter? Take a DC resistance across the cab input. Your reading will be slightly below the AC impedance.

Yep, confirmed 4 ohm output. For whatever reason after I moved it the rattle/buzz I was hearing stopped. I haven't turned it on in awhile and wanted to show someone else what it was doing before trying another cab. It worked and sounded fine. It is ultra loud. I guess problem solved for now.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

My only exposure to pignose amps is from the movie Crossroads where SPOILER- The karate kid guitar battles Steve Vai at the end. He uses a pignose amp in the movie but I figured a pignose wouldn’t sound as good in real life as the movie so I never checked them out. They look cool but would look cooler in black.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

So I’ve been meaning to drop off my guild thunderbass tube amp with my amp guy, but I wanted to paint the cabinet first since it looked super rough and I don’t want to have to open it up once it’s gone through. It has an issue where it sounds fine for the first 10 minutes or so then it starts crackling and it just gets worse until I turn it off. I cleaned all the jacks with sandpaper and sprayed the pots with Deoxit since I had it opened. Nothing looked too bad but I had to remove the power tubes to put the handle back on. Once I put them back in I noticed one tube (RCA) looks like it’s seated just right and on the other (sylvania) I can see just a hint of the pins and it looks like it’s a hair taller than the other tube. I’ve tried reseating a couple of times but the tube doesn’t seem to want to go in any more. Is this this ok or is it a potential problem? The crackles could probably be from a few different things but the tubes are really old and certainly suspect. I didn’t even know that Motorola, Raytheon, and General Electric made tubes. I wanted to try a few tests so I can give my amp guy an good description of what’s going on. I really should have given the power tubes a good look before pulling them out but too late now.
Pic of tubes in question-
https://imgur.com/a/BJnc2V2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

I plugged it in and played it for about 45 minutes at a variety of settings and it seems a better than before. After awhile I heard a slight buzz but nothing like the harsh crackling sounds it was doing before. All the tubes seem to have a normal glow. One of the power tubes has a blue tinge but I guess It’s seated properly. I did the tap with a pen test and heard nothing. I might try replacing some of the preamp tubes later.