Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I went to the store today to try amps. I need something with a master volume so that eliminates a lot of Fenders, but two amps I tried stuck out - Fender Bassbreaker 15 and the Marshall DSL40CR. I tried the DSL20 but it only had two channels instead of the 40's four, and I just didn't love it. Even though it's less powerful it doesn't have MV knovs and it didn't scale down as nicely as the 40 did.

Anyone own the DSL40CR or Bassbreaker 15? Also tried the AC15 which I liked a lot but I'm looking for something with an FX loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just a basement player that occasionally jams, no gigs. Blues, country, rock. I have an HX Stomp that is great for headphone playing, but I'm tired of headphone playing all the time and I've never had a tube amp before.

100% do not need a loud amp, this is all about me wanting a tube amp for once. The 15 and 40 watt amps I tried at the store sounded good to me with the master volume turned down, but I definitely need to try some very low wattage amps. Also want something with an effects loop so I can run the Stomp through it to use its power amp and speaker sometimes.

Bottom line - I want a tube amp that has a nice full sound at bedroom levels. Easy, right?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the recs! I went to another music shop to play a few more amps. Tried a Vox AC4C1 - what a cool little amp. Very distinctive Vox tone, but no effects loop unfortunately. Same with the AC10. The Bassbreaker 15 remains cool, and I tried a Marshall Origin 50 that has a great tone but it's not easy to get it from the kinds of volumes I'll be at.

But then the salesman showed me a used Blackstar HT5 and... yup, that's my amp. 5 watts seems ideal for my purposes and I thought the drive sounded great. Almost walked out with it but a quick check online showed that their price was too high, and there's also an MkII version for around $500 that has a 12 inch speaker and has a few more bells and whistles.

I tried it next to a Marshall DSL20 and man, I just do not enjoy that amp. The high gain channel sounds pretty bad to my ears. It's possible that it rounds out as you push it louder I guess.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The new hotness in terms of guitar gear right now is this Friedman IR-D pedal which is a real tube preamp that also loads IRs and does all that kind of modern stuff.

This thing is $500, which is about the same as an HX Stomp that also includes, ya know, literally everything else you'd probably want in a rig. Plus a bunch of other amps and cabs.

I get that the Stomp is a modeler and real tubes are cool, but after watching this video (of a Stomp vs the IR-X)... you just get so much more from the Stomp. I guess the simplicity is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QydUKhTKgQw

e: Okay, I guess the Stomp is actually more like $700... but the point stands

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 25, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Modelers are actually for me to play in my basement tyvm

anyway I'm not arguing modelers vs tube amps, I'm saying if you're gonna get something in this form factor that is an "amp in a box" that loads IRs, why not get the one that has like every great pedal and effect also included and also dozens of other legendary amps

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If the venue was set up so that I didn't NEED to bring a real amp and cab I can't see ever doing it. the convenience factor for the amp-in-a-box pedal is off the charts.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was playing my buddy's Marshall Valvestate last night. Might not be a real tube amp, but it sure sounded great at low volume. plus it had a 2x12" speakers, can get loud as gently caress and costs like $300

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If it was practical, I’d be happy with a collection of vintage amps and like one overdrive pedal for most of my playing. I don’t really enjoy futzing with modelers and “dialing in” some specific sound, most of my patches are very simple.

But it’s definitely the most practical thing to have when you can’t blast a loud amp whenever you want.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

What is it, exactly? You set up the model on your computer and load it into the pedal? Doesn't seem to much in the way of controls on the actual pedal.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I have a Fender FR-12 FRFR speaker coming this week to pair with my HX Stomp. Hope it's as good as everyone says!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Fender FR-12 FRFR speaker came in.

I own no actual tube amps to compare it to, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but it sounds good to me when paired with my HX Stomp. I'm using the full amp + cab sims, and if I crank it up it sounds like an any other amp I've used. It gets plenty loud, has plenty of low end, EQ knobs right on top, and even legs to tilt it up.

The biggest knock is the lack of plug-and-play simplicity that would come with a real amp. That's a decent tradeoff for having a vast collection of amps, cabs, and effects at my disposal.

Also there was some consternation about an audible "hiss" the initial models were making, but I have listened and can't hear a thing.