Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Stayne Falls posted:

How about the Night Train? Vox 15wt head, I think.
Night Train isn't "really small" once you add the cab into the equation. The new Lil' Night Train 2 watter is smaller, but still not mini sized (10" speaker cab - the amp can definately fit in your pocket though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

donut posted:

aside from the front controls, label, and general shape of the thing, everything is different, even the way the cases are put together
Your's is a different model. Lower wattage, that is to say, you only have one power tube.

donut posted:

If I took this to a Guitar Center or whatever would they be able to get it tubed up and running?
Depends on the tech. Not many parts on these old amps, so a good tech should have any problems diagnosing and repairing.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
It's the preamp tube that's missing and there really are only a handful of possibilities. I'd guess it's 12AX7/12AU7 but Teisco amps have some funky tubes in a lot of old models like 6AR5's that aren't in production anywhere anymore (they are at least cheap and available on the NOS market though).

Not sure how a tech would know what tube type is needed. I know there are many, many tubes types that will fit that socket so it might require some sort of magic trick to figure it out. Failing that, some mad amp scientist on the internet must know...

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Professorbx posted:

Think more Big Muff cranked with your phone speaker hooked up.
So more of an amp for jazz then. :p

For content, to Manky's query: Vox Night Train has an 8 ohm speaker out, as does the Orange Tiny Terror, Marshall Haze MHZ15 and Egater Tweaker. And then there are combos with speaker outs like the Fender Pro Junior and Blues Junior (Super Champ XD for a hybrid that people love). That's a crap ton of variety in the $500/15w range. Limited selection for heads cheaper than that... Blackstar HT-5H people seem to like, the Value Junior is a mod'er delight and few others I've heard and read nothing about.

"Clean" tone is a state of mind. Depends what your reference is, all amps have a color.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

rt4 posted:

I wanna build myself a cab to make my AC4 a bit louder. Does anyone recommend any particular plans to do this?
I assume you have the combo; try taking the back off first. That will open up the sound a bit and get rid of some of the boxy-ness. The speaker is actually quite decent in there.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

I know it's not going to be quite as loud as my 50w solid state
Loud ain't measured in watts, son. I'll eat a hat if the VT50 is actually louder than the AC15.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
How do you get 11 tubes? 4 power tubes, 3 preamp for each of the two channels and 1 rectifier?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Warcabbit posted:

The tiny Fender Champ is also a good choice, being what half the songs of the 60s and 70s were actually recorded on.
Champ is out of production now. Same amp still available under the Gretsch brand though.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

crm posted:

What do you recommend along the lines of a Blues Jr or Superchamp that 2 inputs?

Something like a Deluxe but won't shake the ground.
Do you mean tone-wise? The Fender Priceton is close--bit more Fender-y to my ears and a better reverb. Do you mean cost-wise? Vox AC15 (but one of the inputs is for the Top Boost channel).

It's hard to find two input amps in the 15-20W range.

Why do you need two inputs? There is probably a better way to solve your problem...

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

Wasn't my first choice, but I found one for $300 in pristine condition on CL and couldn't pass it up.
Not only is that a great solid state amp, it's the only solid state amp worth any amount of money. That's a steal of a price too; worth more than double that easy.

Don't try too hard to make it sound like something else, love it for what it is.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Abel Wingnut posted:

This comes at half the price of what I usually see. Have to admit I'm pretty suspect...
These are $1250 new, in box, shipped. The $875 he is asking for is actually a fair price for used / minty clean. I get weirded out too when I see a fair price on ebay, so you are right to be suspicious.

Depends on whether the couple hundred bucks you would save would be worth the risk of having to deal with ebay's return / refund policies.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
You can't use watts to compare output of solid state power sections to tube power sections. Lots of factors go into volume, but 15 watts of tube power is pretty much the limit for an apartment I'd say--15 watts can be played live with a drummer without having to push the amp.

1. 50 watts of tube gets loud as gently caress.
2. The lower wattage amp will break up at lower volumes. It'll also get to the unpleasant level of break up at lower volumes. An attenuator or master volume evens the playing field.
3. Marshall Class 5's are readily available on the used market for $300. It lacks a master volume, but it does have a "low power" switch that tames it pretty well.

No 5 watt combo I've come across is loaded with a really great speaker anyhow. The cabinets are usually poo poo too; the Class 5's cabinet is actually the best out there, in my opinion--it's quite large and seems to let the speaker open up a bit better. Still, if you want a full, deep sound, you'll have to get a proper cabinet. Manufactures have realized that these little cabs suck, so most 5 waters are available as heads (if head and cab are a money issue, most 5 waters have jacks for extension cabs so you could always save to buy a cab later).

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Adam Vegas posted:

The AC15 sounds like it would be right up my street, no idea how I didn't think of it earlier. Thanks!
The AC15 is now available with the Alnico Blue or "twin" with a second Greenback. I don't know if the Alnico Blue version has hit the street yet, but the twin is basically an AC15 in an AC30 chassis and well worth the extra $200.

Of course, Vox is chimey. If you want a jangly bedroomer (that you may have to mic for gigs) the Princeton reissue is the cat's rear end.

AND if you do find that you don't have gigging volume, just add an extension cabinet. A couple extra speakers make a world of difference.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
I've never actually seen an Orange sale. I don't think Orange let's it's stockists put them on sale either, so it would be a long wait. What Orange does allow and support is selling factory refurbs which seem to have some flexibility in price and are practically new.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Final Question:

You guys think a 22watt amp is pretty usable in a bar/pub setting?
You mean the Deluxe Reverb? It's pretty loud. The speaker out is at 8ohms so you can always get a good 2x12 for a bit more volume if you need too.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

GrAviTy84 posted:

The combo is pretty good too but I think it suffers from small cab and 10" speaker suffocation.
It gets less stuffy with break in time. It still sounds a bit boxy because that speaker just doesn't seem to like the closed back design; if you chop the back panel and open up the box, it really shines. I suspected they closed the back to preserve low end, but it doesn't really work.

That said, even in 1/4w mode, I find that it's still too loud when I push it to where I like that amp (just a hair shy of a tickle of break up, where there is a load of chime and if I play hard I get just a bit of grit but no real unpleasant distortion).

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
5AR4 is rectifier, 7199 is phase inverter.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

jwh posted:

Those are quite rare! Congratulations. I imagine it sounds similar to a V4, but probably only around 40, 50 watts?
Two 6L6s is 50 watts on a good day, more or less. With the 7027As it's was a 50 watt amp, with the 6L6s it's probably more like 40. Not that 10 watts makes a real difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

40 OZ posted:

I was getting ready to plop down on a '65 DRRI and then i saw this thing. On paper, it looks like a better deal because they turned the normal channel into a bassman stack. 2 for 1! I also prefer the look of the silverface. Great! :)
The Deluxe has the Fender 6V6 power section and the Bassman has the 6L6 power section. You're not getting a two for one; you'd be getting a Deluxe with an ill-matched speaker or a Deluxe with an ill-match speaker and a different tone stack. That's like a zero for one.

But try it, you might like it. The DRRI is a definite winner though.