Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Kvlt! posted:

Extremely pricy but this is all I could think of that would do it off the top of my head

https://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

I have one of those. Its great, I really love it but it will color the sound of the amp to some degree. Just something to be aware of. Personally, I like the sound it has but I'm using it mostly as a power amp for rack preamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I'm not sure what your goals are here. If you just don't want to risk blowing speakers, the easiest solution is to get higher wattage speakers and then never worry about it.

I've never played through a Quilter amp so I'm not super familiar with them but based on videos I'm seeing, they aren't particularly high gain. Are you putting a fuzz or preamp pedal in front of it for extra doom?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Red_Fred posted:

I just looked this up and now I want one. Looks like they stopped making them though?

I love mini tube heads!

I dont think they're discontinued. They're still listed on the Mesa site and they're in stock at sweetwater. I'm assuming by "mini mark v" you're talking about a mark v 25w, but maybe you're looking at something else?

E: speaking of mesa amps, anyone ever use a DC-5? I see them come up on craigslist for pretty cheap occasionally and they sound kind of dope in the few videos I can find. Looks to be a sort of stripped down mark series? Not really sure but I'm always tempted when I see a mesa for less than a grand.

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 7, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I wonder if thats why they go for so cheap. I've seen em on craigslist in my area for as low as $500.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
You can also look into a Friedman or a Splawn. They do the hot-rodded Marshall thing better than anyone with basically unlimited gain and really sweet pushed cleans. Super expensive brand new but I see used BEs and Runts come up somewhat frequently within your price range.

Also, maybe a dumb question here but have you tried putting a boost in front of your JCM900? If not, it might be worth giving that a shot before dropping a couple grand on a new amp

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Marshall DSL50? Has a 4 ohm output, master volume and definitely does the Marshall thing. I see them used for under a $1000 in my area pretty frequently.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I had a 6505MH and its a ripper for sure but also the katana would be fine I think. Try to demo one if you can and see if it gets the tones you want.

Now, if you really want 80s sleaze you'll have to dive headfirst into vintage rack gear. Sure, every last dollar you have will go to your amp tech to keep it running but is it really a Mr Big solo if its not played through an ADA MP1? I dont think so.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I almost never see modelers on stage. I think the last time I saw a modeler being played live was Built to Spill. Doug was using a Fractal FM3 or FM9 and he's like 1000 years old. When I saw Pallbearer and Helms Alee a couple weeks ago, it was tube amps stacked to the rafters. All the indie western and folk bands I see play through fender tube combos. Sometimes something like a Benson or a Magnavox. Never a modeler though and the ages range from early 20s through old as poo poo. Modelers are cool, I love my FM3, but tube amps are still very very desirable to all sorts of musicians.

bees x1000 posted:

The new hotness is, as of yesterday, the Tonex One.

I was looking at those and the Kemper pedal and I don't know, they seem like a dead end tech to me. Modelers are insanely good now, why would I want an emulated amp with minimal control over gain, eq, presence, whatever, when I can get a Helix or Fractal that has way more flexibility and often sounds better? And for about the same price or not much more if youre looking at a stomp or FM3? Seems like a hard sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Armacham posted:

But you have to admit it feels really cool to play directly into a big rear end vintage amp in front of a nice 212 or 412. It is so choice.

I've gotten poo poo for it in the guitar thread but its true. Cranking a tube amp and playing it through an actual cabinet is pure uncut vibes. The problem is that for like 99% of players, it just isn't feasible. We all live in houses or apartments with family, roommates, neighbors etc and most of us don't have regular practice spaces where you can turn that poo poo up to where it starts really sounding good. But I can get the sound of a dimed Recto in my headphones or computer monitors with my FM3 so there ya go. It still isn't exactly the same but its pretty close.