Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001
I got a peavey classic 50 2x12 a few months ago for next to nothing, because it had problems. It makes a high pitched squeal if you turn up the gain channel (not nice harmonic squeal). So, I replaced the tubes with some JJs, but the problem remains. Could it just be a cap that needs to be replaced? I guess I could take it somewhere to get it fixed up but in a way that defeats the purpose of super cheap 2x12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001

DaFuente posted:

AMPEG GEMINI II STUFF

Before any of you buy an amp, I HIGHLY recommend at least playing through an old Ampeg. They are incredibly undervalued on the vintage market right now. I got mine for 450 shipped. Insane.

This is the truth. I was playing through a Gemini IV for a while. The tremolo kills, and this is after I was living at a place with a working leslie amp. It was ~$400 with shipping.

I had a v4 kinda poo poo the bed on me recently. I had gotten it partially retubed / caps replaced when I got it about a year and a half ago and havent taken the time money decision to get it fixed.

Been playing through the first tube amp I bought, 69'(?) Fender Bassman Blackface -> Lopoline 4x12 with Jensens. Which I got all in all for about $800 bucks a few years ago.
Totally different sound, definitely one that I've missed.

Setup has been TC Electronics Dual Paramatric EQ -> Jacques Tube Screamer, sometimes a distortion in between the two but I haven't settled on what. I have a bunch of stuff (Big Muff Clone, Super Fuzz, Roland Bee Ba Clone, Fuzzrite) but everything seems to just disappear, though it might just be our new practice space, we haven't put up rugs yet.

I have a really loud drummer with a big kit and a bass player going from an Acoustic 140 -> Acoustic 4x12 (which I got for a total of $150 in different deals), which is drat loud. I've been thinking about a modular setup like:

bassman -> 2x12 (something peavey would be nice) with optional Acoustic 450 solid state head -> 1x15 with some sort of crossover or EQ to split up stuff.

Anyone ever use this sort of set up?

shame edit: I blew my dad's ReverbeRocket at a lovely gig a few years ago. It hasn't been fixed up yet. Years ago, the original speaker got stolen by some slimy tech, when he was just getting the caps replaced.

Juaguocio posted:

VT - 22 stuff
these amps die in horrible ways, especially if the transformer craps out. Speakers look like loads to amps, as long as that's right, it'd be odd for an external cab to be the cause.

glennnyc fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 9, 2010