Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Uncle Marx posted:

My Marshall MG10CD's overdrive went kaputt after years of trusty duty, so I'm looking for a new practice amp for my home and for band practice.

If you don't absolutely need a tube amp, the older used Peavey Special combos are really good. You can find them for under $100 every now and then and they're loud as gently caress but sound just fine at non-permanent ear damage volume. Country musicians in the 80s and 90s used them extensively because they're very loud and clean, but pedals work well too. I've been using a Special 112 as a practice/small gig amp for years. Look for the ones with Scorpion speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Maybe an ADA MP1 with whatever power amp if you're not opposed to a rack system?

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
It's because every lovely scenecore dork uses them.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Which is funny because 5150s with the mids cranked were the staple live sound of a lot of death metal and grindcore bands in the early 90s. poo poo, I saw Sonic Youth about ten years ago and Thurston Moore had one.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Haha yeah if I had $4500 laying around I'd totally get a 120w master volume unit full stack.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Three Red Lights posted:

I suppose the "1990" is a Marshall DSL clone as thats when they came out right?

JCM 900

But yeah, don't give Behringer money. It's cheaper in the long run to save up a little more for the real thing used which won't have to be replaced in a year or two.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Sounds like a boost going into a twin reverb turned up real loud.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
They're sort of the holy grail for old fart message board dadrockers who took up guitar as their midlife crisis hobby instead of restoring a Shelby Cobra, went through Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan's equipment lists and bought two of everything.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
They're not that loud, but yeah definitely a little on the big side for a combo.

e: I was kinda disappointed with mine at first, the gain was kinda boxy and crap compared to my old block letter head. As soon as I switched out the preamp tubes it sounded like a normal 5150. I'm guessing the PI tube was the problem. Either that or Ruby tubes just suck.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 22, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
When I bought the head it had Tung-sols in the preamp and Sovteks in the poweramp, but it was like 10 years old at the time, so it'd be amazing if it hadn't been retubed. I have nothing to compare it with but it sounded right, so I haven't bothered to try anything different.

Incidentally I retubed my combo with JJs. I think it was just a bad tube in the preamp; none of them were microphonic and I didn't have any spares around to test individual ones.

Ackbarf posted:

Edit: If you're looking for a quiet amp around the volume level of your classic 30, I'm not sure a 6505 would suit, they're 50 or 60 watt if I remember, which is going to be LOUD, even with 1x12

Actually the 112 combo sounds half decent at bedroom levels. Obviously not as gnarly as it does loud but definitely better than 99% of practice amps.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 22, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
There's countless Marshall 18 watt clones out there, Ceriatone probably being the most notable.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
It'd be nice if they did a VH140C reissue.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 18, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

betterinsodapop posted:

I've got a Blackstar HT-5 combo. It seems less loud and kinda muddier than when I got it, so I was thinking of chucking some new tubes in it. Assuming I go with the same types of tube (12AX7 and 12BH7,) should it be fairly "plug and play?" I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere, even the manufacturer makes contradicting statements.

You might need to adjust the bias when you swap out the power tube, if there's a bias adjust. I have no idea if those are "fixed" bias like Mesas or what.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 25, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Chances are like 99% of amps it's biased cold so you can switch out the power tube with a moderate range of values and not harm anything. Reading up on it it seems the primary clipping stage is all op-amps and diodes and the preamp tube is more for show, so changing that probably won't make too much difference (it rarely does anyway). It really can't hurt and at worst you'll be out $30-40 and have an extra set of tubes in case something explodes.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
People who know a thing just roll back the volume for soft/clean stuff anyway. That's what tube amps are made for in the first place.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Also the green channel on those newer 6505 combos is perfectly fine all on its own.

e: a used Mark IV combo runs about $1200 but you could get a JCM 900 combo for about half that

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
You can get a 6505 1x12 new for less than the Bugera knockoff combo, if you're dead set on that sound. But if you're just dicking around in your bedroom and recording it's still too much amp even for that.