Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

keratas posted:

Some of you were discussing the Blackstar HT series on the last page.

What are your thoughts on the high gain settings? I need another amp aside from my JCM 800 2204 clone that can go beyond the sounds of that, but without being as bulky or having to go as loud to get a good sound.
I have a HT5.

It really depends on what you mean by high gain. At 10 o'clock it will crank out Gun's 'n' Roses. At 3 o' clock with the ISF set to USA, it's Metallica black album territory.

To get the extreme brtualz you'll probably need a boost pedal and some EQ. I've seen a few guys on youtube use an GE7 EQ pedal for both getting some Rectifier type noises out of the amp

Try to get the head. The combo one I played in the shop didn't sound as good as the head and Celestion loaded cabinets I bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
I'm using a Digitech Digiverb in the effects loop with the following settings:

Level: 8 to 9 o' clock
EQ: 12 o' clock
Decay: 9 o' clock
Reverb Type: Plate.

It's an inexpensive (€80) reverb that sounds good and can get seriously shoegazy if you want. I've heard great things about the Line6 Verbzilla.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Epi Lepi posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Amplifier-PR260-BXR15-/270597320878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f00db70ae

Is this amp worth buying? $35+shipping seems way too cheap to me.

Doesn't look too bad for a cheapo bedroom bass practice amp. For $35 it's difficult to go wrong as you could probably flip it for $50 if you don't like it

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Boz0r posted:

So I think I'm getting the Orange Tiny Terror Combo. Can anyone tell me if it's going to be a problem that I have an effect board and a couple of pedals BEFORE the whole amp, and is there anything important I should know about?

A lot of people say that certain effects should come after the distortion. That means that if you're using the amp for overdriven distortion, you'll have those effects before the distortion as the Tiny Terror doesn't have an effects loop (you can mod one in though)

Reverb is one effect that sounds very muddy to me before the distortion. edit: *After* the distortion it sounds better. Delay is another one that a lot of people prefer in the loop.

Zakalwe fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 30, 2010

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
Crank it. Mic it.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

cheap sunglasses posted:

They're sort of the holy grail for old fart message board dadrockers who took up guitar as their midlife crisis hobby instead of restoring a Shelby Cobra, went through Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan's equipment lists and bought two of everything.

This describes the denizens of http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ to a T. Play me them upper-middle-class, middle-age blues.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

magnificent7 posted:

Okay. I'll cop to this description. And I'll tell you why. I've been playing "that'll do" amps for decades, starting out on a lovely Crate bass amp as my guitar amp. Now that I finally have the money to get the amp I want, should I continue to play something that I've been holding on to because it's "just like a _______ only cheaper"?

It sucks. I wish I was rich enough when I was in my 20s, but I was too stupid then. The real shame is the ones who'll buy the poo poo and then only rock out in their basement. gently caress that. Buy a great amp and a great guitar and get out and play it.

The difference is you actually play your guitar, play it live and don't spend all your time obsessing over $50,000 Dumbles and PTP wired limited edition tubescreamers rather than rocking out

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

TyChan posted:

Does anyone know where one would usually buy DeOxit? I have a noisy pot on my bass head and I've been told the WD40 I have is not the way to go.

I fixed a noisy wah pot with the teflon oil stuff I spray in my bike lock. Rocked it back and forth a few times and it's been fine since. It's probably not optimal, but it worked perfectly. I've heard of people using WD40 and getting good results. At least the pot will smell great if it doesn't work :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

betterinsodapop posted:

I've got a Blackstar HT-5 combo. It seems less loud and kinda muddier than when I got it, so I was thinking of chucking some new tubes in it. Assuming I go with the same types of tube (12AX7 and 12BH7,) should it be fairly "plug and play?" I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere, even the manufacturer makes contradicting statements.

Try a bright high-gain tube in the 12ax7 position. I've used Chinese and Electro Harmonix tubes to good effect. A JJ I had in there was too muddy. Neved swapped out the Bh7 though.

A Boss GE7 in the effects loop is also awesome for tweaking the sound.