Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Three Red Lights posted:

I have a Line 6 Spider Valve, not a day goes by I dont regret buying it.

I think the double-negatives cancel each other out and you're saying that every day you regret buying it? I thought those Spider Valve amps got pretty good reviews. I saw a hard rock band gigging with one, and was pretty impressed with the sounds the guitarist was getting with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Twlight posted:

Anyone have any insight into the Egnater Rebel 20 head? I've been thinking about it due to the ability to blend different types of tubes as well as change the wattage around. I'm primarily playing in my apartment so being able to lower the wattage at night is a plus.

I had one and it sounded great at low volumes. Between the gain, master volume, and wattage knobs, there are a lot of ways to dial in the drive you want. The tube mix knob really doesn't make as much of a difference as you might think. You have to be really pushing the power tubes to hear a difference between them, so it's not like you're flipping a switching and going from Fender to Marshall or anything.

The only problem I really had with it, and the reason I ended up trading it, was that it wouldn't get loud enough. I kept having to dial in gain to push it a little harder, and that ended up distorting more than I wanted it to.

For a tiny amp to have around the house, it's great, though. Very nicely made, looks classy, and gives a WIDE variety of sounds. I'd say grab it, but expect to pick up something else if you end up playing with others.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Three Red Lights posted:

It got me thinking that theres a new POD line coming out, and when it does I might just ditch the amps entirely and go straight to PA. But then something in me still feels kind of weird at the thought of that. Plus I've played a few gigs with my last band where we had next to no PA.

Has anyone tried going direct?

I don't know if I'd use a practice amp, but I have been gigging with a Boss GT-8 plugged directly into a power amp lately. I've got four different amp models dialed in with a couple of effects. It never 100% nails the sound I'm after, but I've gotten no complaints so far.

That said, I've got a side project where I'm using a Marshall TSL60 stack, and even then, I keep the amp up there mostly as a personal monitor, with a Behringer GI-100 between the head and cab, and its XLR out going to the board. We're playing mostly small bars, so keeping our volume level low, yet sounding big is an important balance.

I figure that I can adjust my amp's volume on stage to be where I want it, and the singer, who takes frequent trips out into the crowd, can adjust the faders on the band's mixer to be where they need to be based on what he hears.