Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I've got a Rivera R55 that I love, but I got a couple of quibbles maybe yall can help me with. First, where do I find a decent hard 1x12" combo case that's not sight-unseen on ebay or 3/4 the cost of the amp custom? Also, when I first got it it had these wonderful chimey fender cleans that I could get relatively loud. I gig with it very regularly and I'm starting to notice a breakup in the clean channel sooner than it used to. I don't know if this is due to it getting knocked around a fair bit (hence me looking for a case), or if it just needs to be retubed, or what. The (power, at least) tubes are as old as the amp, but I'm disinclined to figure that's the issue due to the symptoms being relatively mild. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Gramps posted:

Retube it. Distortion when things should still be clean is one of the first symptoms of power tube wear. At least have a tech check it out as the bias could have drifted on you as well.

Yeah, you're probably right. Any suggestions re: tubes? I retubed my classic 50 with JJs from eurotubes and was pretty satisfied, but the kit options for the R55 alone are extensive. What would the best balance of cleans that stay loving clean and enough gain on the dirty channel to play some rock? Do the high gain options let you keep clean?

edit: Not to mention E34L vs. KT77 vs. 6L6GC. The amp came stock with EL34s, and I liked it when I bought it, so I guess that's the direction to go.

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 12, 2010