Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Back in my death metal touring days, I absolutely loved my 5150II. I recently sold it but plugged it in just to test it out before selling it and, gently caress... I forgot how amazing it sounded. A 5150II through a Marshall 1960 cabinet just sounds so great.

Now I play a Vox Valvetronix VT50. I don't have the need for a 4x12" amount of loudness, so this does the trick just fine, and I'm able to dial in a number of great sounds on it.

So there, that's my little anecdote for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Three Red Lights posted:

It got me thinking that theres a new POD line coming out, and when it does I might just ditch the amps entirely and go straight to PA. But then something in me still feels kind of weird at the thought of that. Plus I've played a few gigs with my last band where we had next to no PA.

Has anyone tried going direct?

That's what Meshuggah does, IIRC.

I used to play with a half stack, but it was because my band played really loud metal in clubs with no PA. Nowadays I don't play that so much anymore, and I rarely even play out anymore, so I just have a little 1x12" combo amp. It suits me fine.