Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is this the right place to ask about amp sim plugins? I've been using GuitarRig for years and it's been great, but it hasn't been updated in forever so I figure there's gotta be something either better or cheaper out there now. Any recommendations? Something on the cheaper side would be ideal. My dad is looking for a sim plugin and getting GuitarRig outside of Komplete (which he doesn't need) seems like a bad move in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What kinda amp/PA setup should I be looking at if I want to run a laptop w/ Live and amp sim plugins rather than an actual amp when playing in a band setting. Garage w/ a live drummer is the max volume I'd be looking for, and portability is preferred (and we don't always have the drummer so sometimes we'll be playing at even lower volumes). Been feeling like experimenting with the tone and looping flexibility of a software setup when playing with other musicians. Also would just be nice to be able to get Tone at lower volumes when I don't want to turn my '65 DRRI up loud enough to get to its sweet spot. I know I could accomplish the latter by just picking up a cheapish modelling amp, but I do already have some nice amp plugins and there's still the looping aspect. I assume there's some all-in-one sort of solution for this where I could just run straight from my audio interface to the speaker (rather than getting a separate rack mount power amp + PA speaker or something like that), but I'm not sure where to start looking. Since the amp sims will cover all the guitar amp part of the signal (including cabinet sim), I'm assuming any sort of general PA speaker should be fine, yes?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thank you, that points me in the right direction

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For home use I now just run my NeuralDSP plugins into a cheap FRFR (full range, flat response, since the plugin is already doing the cab emulation) speaker. Sometimes I'll put my pedal board upfront, sometimes I'll use a MIDI foot controller to control the plugin's pedals. Is this blasphemy?