Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ruinedhero posted:

MrWeight - I'm glad someone got the title :) it is an amazing album and Boris just loving rocks. Just Abondoned Myself off Pink is pure perfection.

I mentally high-fived you when I opened the thread and saw the pic

I don't have any handy amp info though :( Except don't buy a 100W stack if you're going to leave the master volume on 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dupree9973 posted:

Awww dammit. I had my mind made up to go with the Vox DA5 over the Roland Microcube next paycheck. Now you all have me questioning that.

I haven't heard the Vox, but one advantage the Roland might have is the AA batteries - the Vox uses C's, but you're more likely to have an AA charger am I right? Throw in some high-performance rechargeables (I have some ReCykos in my bass Microcube) and it'll run for a long time.

You guys aren't serious about strolling around with one clipped to your belt are you? Or is the guitar version a lot lighter than the bass one? 15lbs is light but it's not that light...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The Mystery Date posted:

Done it. You just have to have your belt pretty tight or there will be some saggage. You could also probably rig it up like a backpack.

Edit: How does the bass microcube sound? I imagine there might be problems in the low end with such a small speaker, unless it's larger than the 6 inch one in the guitar model.

Yeah I had a look at the Roland site and the non-RX guitar cube's around 6lbs? Bit more conducive to rocking :)

Actually the Bass RX (which is what I have) doesn't even have a 6-inch speaker, it has four 4-inchers - and this is My First Bass so I don't have a lot to compare to, but it sounds pretty decent for what it is. A little boxy and middy, although I need to put new strings on the bass (got it second hand), but it does put out some decent low end growl and it can get pretty drat loud, especially in an enclosed space. I love the portability and the features, all that's really missing is some distortion modelling - if you crank the gain you can get a hosed up sound which kinda counts I guess, still have to dig in though.

Plus I can play my guitar through it!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Any of you bassists out there got a recommendation for a "bedroom" amp? I know the Roland is suggested in the Bass Megathread, but I'd like to comparison shop a bit.

I've been practicing for months now through a headphone amp and I'd like to step up a little bit to something that'll keep my ears uncovered. I don't need loud, really, or even a "certain" sound; just a lightweight amp.

I have the Bass Microcube RX, I don't have a lot to compare it to but I love it. Runs on AA batteries if you want so it can be completely portable (my Recyko rechargeables last 10 or 12 hours I reckon, maybe more since I usually don't play loud), you can connect an MP3 player if you want to jam, there's a second input for a mic or another guitar, there's a metronome and some rhythms to practice to...

It can actually get pretty loud and puts out more bass than you'd expect, only thing I'd say is it can sound a bit middy but that's to be expected. Only thing that's really missing for me is a distortion/fuzz effect - if you crank the gain and use the compressor you can get a hosed up sound which does ok in a pinch, but it would be nice to have an actual fuzz effect in the box

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this Kemper Profiling amp before, but it looks really interesting:

The idea is you hook your guitar through it and into your amp with a microphone set up to record it, and you send that signal back to the profiling amp. Then you tell it 'go' and it uses sonic magic to send a bunch of different signals to your guitar amp, listens to what happens to them, and works out how to model the amp's behaviour. It's basically a cloning device, you can copy any amp and microphone setup you like (I'm assuming even multiple amps at once) and have as yours forever. You can even mess around with the amp characteristics, seemingly beyond the actual amp's real controls.

I'm no expert on anything like this but the result from the video below sounds pretty drat good to me, what do you guys reckon? Could something like this put a dent into the amp industry? I'm wondering about the legality of being able to xerox an amp's sound and put it in your magic christmas tree box, and if they make it possible to transfer them to other people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywDUAw7ck8g